Can you please first check if it sounds correct or not, and second what sticking you would use for the fill?

georgeusa

1696105888033.png

at 1:14
1) Can you please first check if the fill sounds as per tab or not, and second what sticking you would use for the fill?

THank you

Last edited:
Sticking is purely a comfort thing. Typically you would use your dominant hand for downbeats and 8ths, even with a syncopated fill. But if that's not comfortable, play it how you feel it.

Sticking is purely a comfort thing. Typically you would use your dominant hand for downbeats and 8ths, even with a syncopated fill. But if that's not comfortable, play it how you feel it.
Assuming right handed, I’d play the flam note with my left hand so that the group of sixteenth notes just went R L R L.
That’s what I would do as well, with the last group of 16ths doing R - R L.

Odd that I’d do it differently on bass, though. The last group of 16ths would be 1 - 2 1 because I used to take lessons from Dave LaRue, and he insisted on strictly alternating fingers for stuff like that. That would mean I would come into the next bar leading with my non leading finger, but it always worked out and sounded better than going 1 - 1 2.

But there’s no way I could come out of that fill and do a crash with my left hand. The difference between fingers staying in one spot and arms with sticks flailing all over the place, I suppose.

I think it's good to train yourself like you did with bass, using alternate sticking no matter the rhythm. Playing the crash with the left hand is not hard at all, it's just that you're not that used to do it.

I think it's good to train yourself like you did with bass, using alternate sticking no matter the rhythm. Playing the crash with the left hand is not hard at all, it's just that you're not that used to do it.
That’s a great idea! Yeah, I should do that. Thx O!

Back