Can you name this kit?

Studio251

Hi Everyone! This is my first post. I appreciate you guys contributing to this forum and I apologize that my first post is asking a question. I did a search beforehand to make sure the topic has not been covered and read the guidelines post from the moderators.

The question is: Does anyone know what kind of drum kit this is that Bob Bennett played in The Sonics? On the cover of their first album he has his Ludwig Supraphonic on display and there are very few photos of them out there. This is the clearest I have found of him behind the kit. The drums kind of look like Ludwigs to me but the hardware doesn’t at all so I’m stumped. I appreciate if any of you can help me figure out what kind of kit he was playing on all those bangers. They were a band from 1963-1967 based out of Tacoma, Washington.

Thank you for your time!!

Attachments

• D21FFDCB-A66C-496A-BEDA-65B0638BA723.jpeg
    D21FFDCB-A66C-496A-BEDA-65B0638BA723.jpeg
    963.5 KB · Views: 45
Looks like an early 6os slingerland maybe? (That’s just based on looking at some pics on google, I’m definitely no expert on vintage gear)

Looks like an early 6os slingerland maybe? (That’s just based on looking at some pics on google, I’m definitely no expert on vintage gear)

Thanks! I am looking at some of the Slingerland’s on google too now! That might be the answer!! I appreciate the response!!

Thanks! I am looking at some of the Slingerland’s on google too now! That might be the answer!! I appreciate the response!!
No worries. I really like the look of the off centre Tom Mount. i’m sure there’s a bunch of reasons not to do that now, but it definitely looks cool.

Not Slingerland, judging by lugs and tom mounts. Never seen anything like those, possibly custom made, or boscure European brand. I think you mean Brian Bennett of the Sonics who is shown with various kits, a Trixon here
BB-Shads-Drummer.jpg

Not Slingerland, judging by lugs and tom mounts. Never seen anything like those, possibly custom made, or boscure European brand. I think you mean Brian Bennett of the Sonics who is shown with various kits, a Trixon here
View attachment 95192

Thanks! Actually, Brian Bennett and Bob Bennett are different people. Bob played with The Sonics then moved to Hawaii and sold cars, whereas Brian (I believe from the UK) had a much longer career in music.

it’s hard to find info on Bob Bennett’s drum kit. Here is another photo of Bob but even less revealing.

64D82D84-AFA6-44CA-9FD0-BBC9261B528A.jpeg

There are so few images of them. Even the Etiquette Records website has 2 photos listed as them but the one photo is actually of the band of the founding member of the label listed as being The Sonics. Early photos also have a different drummer and ever since they started doing reunions in 2007 they have used other drummers. I’m trying to figure out what Bob played back on those two amazing albums.

I appreciate all of your help!

On the album cover for their first album you can see what I believe is his Ludwig Supraphonic proudly displayed.

Attachments

• 04236F89-B433-43EA-AF98-F909160AE64F.jpeg
    04236F89-B433-43EA-AF98-F909160AE64F.jpeg
    66.4 KB · Views: 5
Thanks! Actually, Brian Bennett and Bob Bennett are different people. Bob played with The Sonics then moved to Hawaii and sold cars, whereas Brian (I believe from the UK) had a much longer career in music.

it’s hard to find info on Bob Bennett’s drum kit. Here is another photo of Bob but even less revealing.

View attachment 95193

There are so few images of them. Even the Etiquette Records website has 2 photos listed as them but the one photo is actually of the band of the founding member of the label listed as being The Sonics. Early photos also have a different drummer and ever since they started doing reunions in 2007 they have used other drummers. I’m trying to figure out what Bob played back on those two amazing albums.

I appreciate all of your help!

Two drummers named Bennett in the same band?!
That kit in this pic has a badge and spurs that appear to be Ludwig

Back