Can you help? I don't know what to play in this song

Daisy

...and I don't know if this is the right place to post this query, so please let me know if I should post elsewhere.

I'm going for an audition in a week's time. One of the songs is Monday Monday (Mamas and Papas - youtube link below)

I've tried a samba beat on bass and hi hat foot, with cross stick on 2, for the first two verses, but then there's what sounds like snare and floor tom on 8th notes leading to the ?middle 8? / bridge ("Every other day ...")... and I just don't know what to play after that!

I've tried all sorts but nothing seems to fit. Everything I've tried sounds too heavy, too "square". I can't seem to pick up on the feel of this song.

I'm OK with all the other songs, I don't know why this one is giving me so much trouble.

Very grateful for any suggestions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h81Ojd3d2rY

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
The drummer (Hal Blaine most likely), basically speaking, is hitting the snare on the 1,2,3 and 4 in that section. He's also throwing in some 8th notes on the snare in some places, not absolutely necessary for copping the feel, the quarter notes on the snare should get you the right vibe. When you get that down you can embellish it with an 8th note or 2 on the snare. That's what I'm hearing.

Daisy

Thanks larry. Sorry to trouble you again, but - in addition to 1/4 notes on the snare, is it 8th notes on the hats, and bass on 1 and 2 in that section? My ears just aren't helping me with this one. Very grateful to you for the response.