Can we start a list of well-known studio recordings that have sloppy drumming in them?

porter

Platinum Member
The ONE mistake out of any Dream Theater song I've ever heard, that makes me cringe EVERY TIME. I think it is one of their best songs too.

But right around where Labrie says "on" in the phrase "As the night when on" you can hear Portnoy just slam a totally off beat kick note. Hear it for yourself.

lefty2

Platinum Member
Everyone is gonna hate me for this... I have to say there is no song in the world where the drumming bothers me more than in "Black Dog"... He nails every other tune, but that song just NEVER sits with me right...
I remember trying to play black dog when it first came out. I decided that guy didn't know how to play the drums. To me, it was just wrong. Of course I don't think that now.

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
While on the topic of rim clicks, there is a modern exampe. In Green Day's America Idiot, there's a click on the grace note of what should have been a flam. Not a big deal I suppose, except the song is so Pro-Toolsed, it happens more than a few times thanks to copy & paste!

So, yes, when we parodied the song, I had to play all of them!

Bermuda

gpxsrxracer

Zeppelin, in my time of dying...after the guitar solo is another...mistake...

I wouldn't personally call a mistake being sloppy though, its 2 different things for sure. Worthy of mention, probably having alot to do with it, might I also point out the 60's and 70's and all the drugs most of these bands and musicians were useing, even during recording in studios. That also had alot to do with mistakes, timing issues, sloppy playing, ect ect.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
You guys put me to shame. In all my years playing along with records I always assumed that everything was as the drummer intended.

@ Dutch - when I played along with Aja (hilarious, I know) I always played the rim click. I assumed SG was laying back with a lighter sounds to take the intensity back down but more likely Dutch is right to call it out.

@ Duncan & BTC - I never picked up those errors on Dark Side before. That says something about the (enforced?) honesty of the recording process back then, even with such a meticulously produced album. These days it would be a punch in for sure.

I always felt there was something weird about Jon Farriss's fill around 3:30 in Original Sin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDT7dMFFsU - any thoughts as to what's going on there?

Dutch

You guys put me to shame. In all my years playing along with records I always assumed that everything was as the drummer intended.

@ Dutch - when I played along with Aja (hilarious, I know) I always played the rim click. I assumed SG was laying back with a lighter sounds to take the intensity back down but more likely Dutch is right to call it out.

@ Duncan & BTC - I never picked up those errors on Dark Side before. That says something about the (enforced?) honesty of the recording process back then, even with such a meticulously produced album. These days it would be a punch in for sure.

I always felt there was something weird about Jon Farriss's fill around 3:30 in Original Sin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRDT7dMFFsU - any thoughts as to what's going on there?
Funny thing is that, on Steely Dan Live, Dennis Chambers plays the exact same rim click... As we say in IT (my line of work): it's not a bug, it's a feature!

Dutch

opentune

Platinum Member
"Start Me Up" by the Stones is well-known for a misplaced snare hit at the beginning of the song, on beat one. Now everyone has to do that screw-up when they start the song. Thanks, Charlie Watts.
The cowbell at beginning of Honky Tonk Women is also off beat at first. Being played by producer Jimmy Miller (who did the drums on Happy), but a studio glitch they left in. Charlie likes that.

spides666

I'm amazed no one has mention Dead Ringer for Love Meat Loaf, I thought that song was legendary for the 'fluff'

digibird

I don't understand how some drummers let some of their tracks get finalized on studio albums when there are obvious (maybe only to other drummers, but still) mistakes and/or sloppiness. I would cringe every time I heard the track come on the radio if I were the drummer. I haven't heard too many of these, but two that come to mind for me are (I have the songs cued up to where some of the mistakes are):

Better Than Ezra - Good

!
I don't hear a mistake in "Good" (Better Than Ezra) where you cued it. It just sounds like a cool fill that starts with 2 snare beats, one on the downbeat of 1, and the 2nd on the "e" of 1.

schist

Silver Member
Decapitated - 'Winds Of Creation'
Disentomb - 'Sunken Chambers Of Nephilim'

The drummers in both bands have since tightened up heaps ('had' in the case of Decapitated, since Vitek sadly passed away 5 1/2 years ago), but both albums were a bit of a difficult listen drum-wise.

Didn't stop me from enjoying them, though.

EDIT: Oh wait, it has to be "well-known" ...

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
I don't know, but I love hearing some minor things in drum recordings, and I hate all
those quantised or even programmed drum parts from bands like Linkin Park, Billy
Talent, Green Day or Nickelback. I mean I'm sure some of them can play, but if they
really could play like that, they'd be drumming stars like Vinnie or Gadd!

Swiss Matthias

Platinum Member
With that being said, the very first song - Dumpweed - by Blink 182's Enema Of The State
starts with a quite untight hihat part (measure 4). I always wonder about this one. At least
it gives the (right) impression that they played for real.

Anon La Ply

Renegade
I'm amazed no one has mention Dead Ringer for Love Meat Loaf, I thought that song was legendary for the 'fluff'
Is that around 2:10? I didn't want to venture further ... you're a hard man, Spides, not giving the time of the error and forcing people to listen to it.

I agree Matthias - I don't want spit polished music but I recognise that it's an old view.

ohiodrummer1964

Maybe I'm just be overly critical, but if I were going to lay down a track on an album, I would do as many takes as it took until I got it perfect.
Bingo. In the words of Rod Stewart: There's nothing more boring than a perfect album. Funny how drummers get too wrapped up in how perfect a drum part is. That's anal. How well a drum part fits in with the guitars and bass and saxophones and creates a groove is a lot more important.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
How well a drum part fits in with the guitars and bass and saxophones and creates a groove is a lot more important.
Couldn't agree more.

Of course we all want to pull things apart and analyse them......it's the nature of a musician to do so. But spend too long navel gazing and there lies a big danger of missing the forest for focusing on the trees.

Music is the sum of many parts.......drums are just one of them. How they slot into the whole interests me far more than how they sit alone.

inneedofgrace

Platinum Member
I wonder if they have a similar thread on the guitar forum, or do they believe every guitar note was meant to be that way? ;)