Can the ludwig custom shop do Octobans and Gong Drums?

harryconway

Platinum Member
My guess is no. Alex Van Halen used Octobans in a lot of his kits, and I don't think they were ever Ludwig. And if anyone current in the Ludwig roster was to have a Gong drum, it would be Carl Palmer .... and he don't.

Last edited:

SuperUltra

My guess is no. Alex Van Halen used Octobans in a lot of his kits, and I don't think they were ever Ludwig. And if anyone current in the Ludwig roster was to have a Gong drum, it would be Carl Palmer .... and he don't.
you think the grestch custom shop could?

mikyok

Platinum Member
They built a gong drum for Neil Peart in the 80s/90s.

They may do it as a special order but it would be far cheaper to go down the Tama road.

Vintage Old School

Gold Member
As far as a gong bass drum goes your best bet might be to to purchase a new or used TAMA gong drum and refinish it to your liking. Or you could try to get all the TAMA proprietary hardware and hoop (the two side mounts could be any brand you prefer) and then custom order a shell and spec it out for drilling and finish.

TAMA Lug 6592
TAMA Swivel Nut GN5
TAMA Hoop Hook Claw 6595
TAMA Tension Rods MS686SHP

Heads up: If you're building a 20" gong bass drum with a 22" hoop I've been told I purchased the last TAMA 22" hoop (for a 20" gong shell) from the TAMA factory. You might need to check availability first before acquiring other hardware.