Can recommend good drum sticks and percussion mallets for a percussion student?

compiler

Can you recommend good drum sticks and percussion mallets for a percussion student?

A 6th grade student will join a school band and play a snare drum and xylophone. Can you recommend good drum sticks and percussion mallets? I hope the sticks and mallets can be used from the beginning to advanced play. Thank you for your answer.

toddbishop

Platinum Member
For snare drum get Vic Firth SD-1 Generals-- don't ever use them on the drum set, though. Musser blues (blue rubber, with rattan handles) are a good all-purpose mallet for keyboard instruments-- maybe a little soft for performing on bells and xylophone, but good for practicing. I'm sure they'll work fine for at least the first couple of years of band. You'll be using both of those into your college years and beyond if you don't abuse them.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
Vic Firth is my choice of sticks. Especially for mallets, brushes, and Rutes.
I just received my annual stick order the other day as a matter of fact.
I like the AJ2 sticks for light playing and the AS5A for harder hitting.
I prefer wood tip sticks.
I like the HB brushes.
I use the 606 Rutes
I have assorted mallets.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
Vic Firth has the largest selection of maple concert sticks, so I'd start there, but for a 6th grader I might not start with an SD1, but either an SD1 junior (same proportions, just a little smaller) or an SD4 or even just a plain old pair of 5A's.

Vic Firth also make education packs that come with several types of sticks and mallets either with a practice pad or a stick bag. I think they're worth checking out.

mandrew

Gold Member
I highly recommend Vic Firth for all. Years ago, many students started out with the famous 2b sticks to build toward school band playing, to build chops. Today, you shouldn't have trouble with that size of a stick, but I would get the SD1 for general practice. Vic has it all covered with great variety and durability. Just don't abuse your equipment!

longgun

Gold Member
I highly recommend Vic Firth for all. Years ago, many students started out with the famous 2b sticks to build toward school band playing, to build chops. Today, you shouldn't have trouble with that size of a stick, but I would get the SD1 for general practice. Vic has it all covered with great variety and durability. Just don't abuse your equipment!
+1........and they have great customer service...............love my Vic's

porter

Platinum Member
People like Vic, huh?

Cooperman have IMO absolutely superior snare sticks, but their thickness may not be ideal for a beginner's hands. Try the Vic Firth Jojo Mayer signature model- very easy to handle for a beginner.

For xylophone, I think anyone will tell you that one of the best places to start is the IP902. Perfect for general use.

(If you're looking for a practice pad, Offworld Percussion's "Invader" and "Outlander" pads are the most realistic on the market, and for marimba mallets- I'd recommend a set of Malletech MB13s and a set of MB8s. Good luck!)