Can jogging improve your speed or slow you down?

robertondrums

Hi everyone,
I have recently been asked the question if such sports as jogging can affect the speed of your double pedal playing? Seen as I don't know the answer I thought I would ask you people. For example, I know that certain exercises with the hands or sports such as weight training (depending on what your doing) can either slow down or speed up your fast twitching muscles. Like training with metal sticks can slow the fast twiching muscles but can improve power and stamana depending on what exercises you are doing. My question to you is can jogging slow down those fast twitching muscles that double bass players need so badly? If anyone knows that would be great.

Thanks
Robertondrums

I've been wondering about the same thing.
Although i don't really know, i think that jogging could help with double bass and maybe sprinting would even more.

I've only been drumming for about a year and a half and have only been doing double bass for a year. I've been in track and cross country for about 3 years now. So when i first tried double bass i had been become a good runner. And i was suprised when the double bass came naturally to me almost without practice. So i guess it does help :p

I've been wondering about the same thing.
Although i don't really know, i think that jogging could help with double bass and maybe sprinting would even more.

I've only been drumming for about a year and a half and have only been doing double bass for a year. I've been in track and cross country for about 3 years now. So when i first tried double bass i had been become a good runner. And i was suprised when the double bass came naturally to me almost without practice. So i guess it does help :p
Thanks a lot man. I figure that running and jogging do help with stamina and the strate up and down motion of the legs but I do wonder if it helps the fast twitching muscles like in the heel up technique. Suppose the only way to find out is to monitor wether or not you are speeding up or slowing down.
Thanks for the post.
Robertondrums

Jogging is a cardiovascular activity that will build endurance, so if anything it would help your playing overall by making you more healthy, relaxed, and fit.

Jogging is a cardiovascular activity that will build endurance, so if anything it would help your playing overall by making you more healthy, relaxed, and fit.
Thanks for the coment. I suppose your right really, jogging builds muscle and will more than likly relax your muscles. Thanks a lot.

Robertondrums

It doesn't affect you in any way, because of the muscles developed whilst running, and while playing drums. Stamina you get via jogging is different via drumming. When you drum, you lose strength in forearms and your legs get a bit stiff, but in running the first thing that fails are your lungs... All in all, doesn't affect :)

It doesn't affect you in any way, because of the muscles developed whilst running, and while playing drums. Stamina you get via jogging is different via drumming. When you drum, you lose strength in forearms and your legs get a bit stiff, but in running the first thing that fails are your lungs... All in all, doesn't affect :)
Ye I suppose it is two different forms of stamina and I can imagine its different muscles been used as well. Thanks a lot man.
Robertondrums

Your heart and lungs will get used to working hard over extended periods of time. It may or may not help the muscles you use during drumming (personally I don't think it will do much), but being generally fit eliminates one factor that can cut down your endurance on drums.

I do think it's good for your inner metronome. Walking and cycling are very harmonic things.

running is great i think just for health in general. i dont think it would do anything negative to your playing. if anything it'll just make you healthier and have more endurance.

i run,but its aimed at the cardio side. just to be in shape so the amount of time i'm playing for is easy on the body.

Unless you're damaging your drumming muscles, or playing tired, I don't think anything that builds muscle or stamina could make you slower.

I can't prove it, but I think I do better with both the sticks & pedals when I'm jogging more. As long as I don't try to play right after, that is. :)

I can only speak for myself, but I started back on a regular running routine about six months ago, at about the same time I broke out my double-pedal for the first time in years. And for the first time, I'm actually seeing some progress on the double pedal; I don't know if it's mental, or because the running is helping build my endurance and strengthen my legs and ankles, but either way, my own answer to the question posed in this thread is that jogging has indeed sped up my double-bass playing. Of course, as the previous poster noted, it's probably not the best idea to do one right after the other.

Hehe, maybe you can practice a metronome thingie x) carry a metronome with you, and run at a tempo, for example 100 bpm, and you run like beat=step, or something like that, and count in yourself xD it can be a practice for keeping time in future x)

Running is great for all around health, but it can make your drumming a little more difficult if you don't keep up a regular running schedule in addition to your normal practice routine. I don't usually run a set amount each week, but when i do its 2-3 miles or more, and that really puts a strain on my double bass sometimes. Its really not counterproductive in any way though.

I'm a professional olympic level sprinter. Do you think taking up double kick will help me in the 100m?

sorry about the saracastic tone, i just thought it sounded funny, but my point is, do drumming to help you do drumming, it would be working the right muscles and toning the right muscles, rather than building and toning the irrelevant muscles. I don't think that stretching correctly and running will do noticable harm to your drumming though.

I agree with Matthew on this. When you run most of the power is needed pushing backward to make you go forward. Although your legs go up and down what makes you go forward is the last bit of your feet pushing backward. The cardio part will work fine but I don't think the two equate as much as one may think. You may do better, and I'm guessing, is to run up stairs. At least there is some motion pushing down which is what a drum pedal needs.

Running is great for all around health, but it can make your drumming a little more difficult if you don't keep up a regular running schedule in addition to your normal practice routine. I don't usually run a set amount each week, but when i do its 2-3 miles or more, and that really puts a strain on my double bass sometimes. Its really not counterproductive in any way though.

Jogging and running will improve your double bass as long as you push your self, I started running and jogging 2 months ago and it has helped me alot. i really dont see how it could put a strain on his double bass unless he tries to play right after he gets done runnning or jogging and not giving his muscles time to heal that is the only thing i can think of, but after any work out if you go to play drums its not going to be the same as if your muscles where completetly healed.

Hehe, maybe you can practice a metronome thingie x) carry a metronome with you, and run at a tempo, for example 100 bpm, and you run like beat=step, or something like that, and count in yourself xD it can be a practice for keeping time in future x)

Running with a metronome, there's an out of the box thinker.

There seems to be a lot of "voodoo", if you will, surrounding the matter of improving one's double bass facility(ex:if I ride my bike to work will it result in a diminution of my double pedal speed??? Oh noes!) I think jogging will certainly have not detrimental effects and if anything it will improve your overall health which can only serve to benefit you.

I'm a runner and I'm also a drummer.
My observation is that when I've trained for a running event I also feel I have more stamina when playing drums.
When you're fit your body can deliver oxygen to the working muscles more efficiently.
However, I think that if you want to increase double kick speed then you should practice that on a drumkit not on a racetrack.

Also, if you want to work those fast twitch muscle cells by sprinting, make sure you leave enough time between your training and your next drumming gig for any lactic acid buildup to dissipate otherwise you will be in pain.
picture.php

Last edited:
Back