Can I Pull This Off?

Morbid Koala

I have a early-mid 70's Pearl Fiberglass/mahogany kit, 22-16-13, which currently is wrapped in crimson velvet. I bought it at a garage sale for 100 bucks with the home made velvet wrapping done by its previous owner. I even took it on two week tour with a surf band and it held its own for sure.

However, I'd love to turn it into a Joe Mantanari style, real open sounding kit for softer style session work, ie: Ben Folds, etc. Ideally, I would opt for the same sizes but a Ludwig Classic Maple. However, I'd prefer not to spend the four figures....

Is this tonally possible with a wood/fiberglass kit?

My strategy was simply Ambassadors on every head and an unported reso. Is the velvet possibly hindering a better tone or any suggestions otherwise?

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I think a wood-fiber glass shell will give you a real "open" sound with the ambassador heads.

The question is will it be warm enough for you. I assume you'd want coated ambassadors over clear.

You might also want to check the conditions of the bearing edges, and see if they're even all the way around.

Morbid Koala

I think a wood-fiber glass shell will give you a real "open" sound with the ambassador heads.

The question is will it be warm enough for you. I assume you'd want coated ambassadors over clear.

You might also want to check the conditions of the bearing edges, and see if they're even all the way around.
Definitely using Amb coated heads even for the kick. Also was thinking about replacing the resonant toms heads which are black, single ply Evans from way back in the day. Wanted to use Black Ambassadors and maybe a Fyberskyn for the kick reso head.

Not much I can do about the bearing edges but I'll check regardless to make sure.

Thanks for your input, much appreciated.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I guess it's all about "perspective". And what you'll accept as "close enough". I would think not. I've owned fiberglass drums, and acrylic, and wood. And played Pearl hybrid shells. All different beasts.

Morbid Koala

I guess it's all about "perspective". And what you'll accept as "close enough". I would think not. I've owned fiberglass drums, and acrylic, and wood. And played Pearl hybrid shells. All different beasts.
What style of music would you say this kit would be best utilized for?

I only paid 100 bucks for it so you won't hurt my feelings, ha ha!

harryconway

Platinum Member
The wood/fiberglass shell idea came about because drummers wanted "more projection". That kit screams rock, hard rock, punk rock, psychobilly, etc. Nice kit, by the way. Great score for $100.

Morbid Koala

The wood/fiberglass shell idea came about because drummers wanted "more projection". That kit screams rock, hard rock, punk rock, psychobilly, etc. Nice kit, by the way. Great score for $100.
Well, I guess it'll stay a club kit then. I can save all that new head scratch on a Ludwig. Guess it's time to scour Ebay!