can i have some help?

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
ok so im set to go and re-record the drum tracks for my bands up coming album, and i was wondering if theres any way i
could dampen my crash cymbals a tiny bit. Im using Zildjian A Customs (14,16,17) and they ring just a bit to long, and
are kinda causeing troubles on the editing front, so
any help/advice would be appreciated.

-Jonathan

P.S. not sure if it matters, but we're currently using Rode NT-5's as overheads

drumhead61

Gold Member
MediocreFunkyBeat definately is the guy you should look up he can give you scads of info that will help you out on this topic! Find him...he will help.

Moongels are a good way to damp cymbals without leaving residue on the cymbal. Otherwise some gaffers tape on the underside would also dampen the cymbal but it tends to leave marks. Placing the tape (or moongel) on different locations will damp the cymbal differently.

TheMarkV

try a few little places of strategically placed duct tape. if you dont leave it on for too long it wont leave a single trace. make sure you spend the money to invest in the nice duct tape though or else it might leave some residue behind which is never a good thing.

razorx

Platinum Member
try a few little places of strategically placed duct tape. if you dont leave it on for too long it wont leave a single trace. make sure you spend the money to invest in the nice duct tape though or else it might leave some residue behind which is never a good thing.
Yep this is what u should do.

Pass.of.E.r.a.

Gold Member
Paging Doctor MedicoreFunkyBeat!!!!

hmmm......im a little scared about the brilliant finish will react to duct tape, but i'll give it a shot... thanx for all the help guys, much appericeated

-Jonathan

tbmills

Gold Member
i cut moongels into 1/4s and strategically placed them around the bell. if you put them to far out on the bow it will kill the feel.

jonescrusher

Pioneer Member
What kind of equipment/software are you recording into? Muting crash cymbals doesn't sound too healthy unless you're deliberately striving for a choked/dead sound. If you/your engineer is half decent at gating/overall mix then any ringing shouldn't present a problem.

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
What kind of equipment/software are you recording into? Muting crash cymbals doesn't sound too healthy unless you're deliberately striving for a choked/dead sound. If you/your engineer is half decent at gating/overall mix then any ringing shouldn't present a problem.
Gating the cymbals is what you need to do. Any pro tools or digital recording program should have gating capabilities. Gating cuts out the overtones and after ringing.