Can I expect a ludwig accent custom elite set to last me?

zafrothunder

since they dont make those badass, late 80s TAMAs with the huge toms anymore, I settled on a Ludwig Accent Custom Elite set that I found on eBay. For $500 i can get
6.5x14 snare
10x12 mounted tom
11x13 mounted tom
16x16 floor tom
22x18 bass drum w/mount
all the drums are 8 ply, 8 mm, birch
heavy-duty stands (1 straight, 2 boom, hi hat, snare), and a stock pedal, no throne...
cherry glitter burst finish (not as gay as it sounds)

first off, is this a good deal?

And, will this kit last me? I mean, its got the sizes I want, the type of wood, the hardware, the color (again, not as gay as it sounds).

Drums are only what you make them, right? If I put some sweet heads on these bad boys, I'll have this kit for a while...

right?

since they dont make those badass, late 80s TAMAs with the huge toms anymore.....
since you're shopping on eBay, find some late 80's TAMA's for sale, and buy them.
I settled on a Ludwig Accent Custom Elite.......
Settling on a drum kit will almost always result in "bad things". Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Drums-Pink...ms=66:2|65:1|39:1|240:1318|301:0|293:1|294:50 Cats got the matching 3 toms to go with the kick. Click on "view seller's other items". Bam. You wanted 80's TAMA, big sizes. Probably scoop up all 4 drums for less than $500. And if you pass, pass. Another kit will show up. Patience. Hunt. Shop. Took me all of 5 minutes to find this kit.

first off, is this a good deal?
No.

If you live in the desert and never play the Ludwig Accents, they will last a long time.

These Tama's http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Drums-Pink-...3A1|294:50 were their hi-end birch set(s).

Tama called the colour 'Heather Rose' not pink and its the rarest finish they ever produced. Its also a wrap BTW. One day (if not today) they'll be worth more than $500

Attachments

• Picture 8.png
    Picture 8.png
    116.9 KB · Views: 849

thanks!!

Im not sure about the pink color though. It really just kills the whole vibe.

All I'm going for is a 4 piece set. snare, tom, floor tom, bass.

I just want the toms to be big!
Like 16x18 for the floor tom, atleast 18x22 for the bass (preferably 16x24), and somewhere along the lines of 13x15 for the mounted tom. I wish TAMA would still make those kind of configurations. It would make this whole process a lot easier.

Why do tama's configurations all have tiny like 8x10 toms? Its ridiculous!

anyway, I'll keep looking. I havent had a chance to look at that last once bubba posted (blocked...) but i will as soon as i can.

thanks for all the answers!

Tama called the colour 'Heather Rose' not pink and its the rarest finish they ever produced.

i can see why lol

I agree w/ Caddy...you don't sound so sure and you wouldn't want to get them and end up disappointed, no?

Shop eBay and spend $1000, if you can. You can get something much better, used.

I really dont want to spend $1000 on a set because I still need to get 2002s which are expensive enough by themselves. Some of those sets you showed me looked nice, especially the yamaha one, but it doesnt come with any hardware at all! So I'll have to spend atleast 450 on the set itself, and then get a bunch of stands, a snare, even a pedal! Not to mention the 2002s that I'm looking to get.

I know you're gonna hate me for this, but I think i'm just gonna go with the ludwigs.
I mean, they have the sizes, the birch, and the hardware, even the plies and mm of the shells are what i want lol. I'll go expensive on the cymbals, but I can customize my drums to make them sound good.

And I can always upgrade the toms to 16x18 and 12x14.

if only i was born 30 years earlier...back when drum companies knew the meaning of "cool" and made ridiculously large toms...

thanks for the help!

You should be able to get a set of 80's Tama's for 500. Look on craigslist and be patient.
btw where are you located?

I live in Toledo, Ohio.

I have checked craigslist and I have found some posts I'm interested in. They left out some important information like the price (lol!) and the sizes of the toms.

I am still waiting to hear back from each.

there are much better deals, i got three ludwig vistalite drums (already had a snare) for 400, granted this was before they regained their popularity, but there a great deals to be had, i'm sure you could find a pdp, and sure it'll have small drums but those maple shells will eat an accent for breakfast

look for an export plus, those are some of the most surprisingly good sounding entry kits i've ever heard, and once they get a few years on them those shells really sing

edit:
if you like the shells go for it, especially if they have suspension mounts.

you'll want to upgrade down the road, but you could get a good five years or so out of them.

there are much better deals, i got three ludwig vistalite drums (already had a snare) for 400, granted this was before they regained their popularity, but there a great deals to be had, i'm sure you could find a pdp, and sure it'll have small drums but those maple shells will eat an accent for breakfast

look for an export plus, those are some of the most surprisingly good sounding entry kits i've ever heard, and once they get a few years on them those shells really sing

edit:
if you like the shells go for it, especially if they have suspension mounts.

you'll want to upgrade down the road, but you could get a good five years or so out of them.

I prefer birch to maple. What is an export plus? I have never heard of those and I couldn't find them anywhere.

What is so different from the Accents that makes them worse than any other entry-level kit?

And they do have suspension mounts. "Vibra-band" or whatever.

they are out there for sure, I have been collecting them for a while to build my current project.

There are Superstars and Granstars fairly often,

http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43481

Yeah I have been looking for those, as well as Artstars. I don't want to be involved in a really long project just for my first kit though. If I could find some relatively cheap ones that come with SOME hardware and a snare with the sizes I want then yeah, but I havent found any like that.

In one of the links below, the seller gave the kit a "6 out of 10." Wasn't too excited for that, especially concerning how expensive it was.

Do not buy that kit. We had a few kits come in at the store, and the bearing edges were sh***. I'd agree with everyone else and look at some used kits.

I prefer birch to maple. What is an export plus? I have never heard of those and I couldn't find them anywhere.

What is so different from the Accents that makes them worse than any other entry-level kit?

And they do have suspension mounts. "Vibra-band" or whatever.

they're not really any different from other entry kits, its just that you can usually find a pro kit for a few hundred extra, and when its the difference between a kit you'll have for five years, and a kit you may keep for the rest of your life, that 200 doesn't seem like such an extra.

and the export plus is the old range topper for the export line, i believe it has birch and poplar shells. first drumset i ever used for gigging and recording. more than you could ever ask of a budget kit of its time and era

also if you do go with an entry level kit, GET A BLACK ONE! black drums have ALWAYS been around, finding add ons or extra pieces is SOOO easy in black. every company uses the same black, so thats def something to take into consideration

I do not understand how those top of the line kits are always trashed. They were super expensive back then,you would think that people that spent that kind of money would have used cases, but more often then not they did not.

There is a CAR Superstar on ebay right now that looks pretty good.

Back