Can current Gretsch Renown tom brackets be easily removed?

charliedrummer

A guy I work with is just getting back into drumming after many years and is considering a new Gretsch Renown kit that a number of places are blowing out online. He wants to use a snare stand for his rack tom rather than mount it on a cymbal or tom stand. He asked me about the mounting system on the Gretsch Renown toms (the bracket that mounts above and below the lug) and whether it can be removed. I've looked at numerous photos online and can't figure out how the bracket attaches and if its easily removable? Has anyone tried removing the bracket from a Renown tom?

Destroyer772

Gold Member
I would think the easiest route would be to replace the 2 lugs with new or used and the bracket would be gone from the shell.

charliedrummer

I just mount mine on a snare stand and leave the bracket.
It looks fine and doesn't ever get in the way.
The concern he raised with me is that the bracket might rattle. I've never played a Renown kit so I don't know how much of an issue this might be, especially when recording.

charliedrummer

I would think the easiest route would be to replace the 2 lugs with new or used and the bracket would be gone from the shell.
I read somewhere that Gretsch uses self-tapping screws that present problems after you've removed a lug. If this is the case, can the bracket be reattached without any difficulty later on?

KamaK

Platinum Member
The concern he raised with me is that the bracket might rattle. I've never played a Renown kit so I don't know how much of an issue this might be, especially when recording.
The RN1 GTS do not rattle. There's also a hex nut on the bottom, so that the mounting-framework is removable. The only issue if removed would be cosmetic (two lugs with holes in the bottom).

One last thing I want to mention is that Marquee kits are currently being blown out as well. Think of them as Renowns with triple flanged hoops.

charliedrummer

The RN1 GTS do not rattle. There's also a hex nut on the bottom, so that the mounting-framework is removable. The only issue if removed would be cosmetic (two lugs with holes in the bottom).

One last thing I want to mention is that Marquee kits are currently being blown out as well. Think of them as Renowns with triple flanged hoops.
The Marquee kits also don't have the famed "silver sealer" which many claim gives Gretsch drums their unique sound. I've not compared the two so I can't claim that this is significant.

KamaK

Platinum Member
The Marquee kits also don't have the famed "silver sealer" which many claim gives Gretsch drums their unique sound. I've not compared the two so I can't claim that this is significant.
While it lacks SS, it does have stain and what appears to be a thin coat of lacquer/poly. While my ears can (barely) hear the difference between an untreated vs. treated interior, I think the difference between the two interior treatments is probably unnoticeable to humans. FWIW, the 2016 Renowns do not have the SS either, nor do the Walnut/Birch RN-1's.

My feeling is, if you want a classic Gretsch, go with the Renown. If you want something open and modern, go with the Marquee.

I'd be hard pressed to recommend a Catalina or Stage Custom while Marquee's are $799.

incrementalg

Gold Member
The brackets don't rattle at all. I wouldn't spend time or money to change them. They work great and look great. I've played the marquee and Renowns. The Renowns definitely have a Gretsch twang to them. The marquee are very solid drums, but they don't have the twang or bite like the Renowns.

KingBeastie

They don't rattle at all. There's no movement from it at all.
I really don't notice it's there to be honest.

I guess I could use it to mount some form of cowbell post or splash arm if I ever needed it. But I won't!

I could look into removing it but I may use it at some point in the future, it can hardly be noticed onstage and it fits into my (Protection Racket) case with no issues.

charliedrummer

Thanks everyone! I'll pass this information on to my co-worker. He's psyched to get back into playing after almost 30 years. It's funny because I've worked with him for the last 12 years and didn't know until last week that he played drums in the past (He was actually in the marching band for a major university way back when).

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
The only thing there to rattle is the clamp for the L-rod. Just tighten it all the way and it should be no issue.