Can anyone relate?

Don't be embarrassed. I'm embarrassed to say I had to think about it for a minute before I got it. Now that I got it, trad grip left hand all the way man. All the way. :cool:

And chicks dig it.
Hahah!
Someone asked a famous surfer in the 60s why everyone 'shot the pier' (rode the wave beneath the pier, between the barnacle encrusted steel uprights).
He said "because there might be girls watching". "But of course there never were any girls watching." ?

Trad Grippers know that they can post anything on here without fear of contradiction.
Because as part of the masochist community they know that any criticism of them can be prosecuted as a hate crime.
(Light blue touchpaper and retreat to a safe distance. Fast) ?

Oh I get it chicks. So chicks with hats dig traditional grip. Well at least one of them does. 93DD2007-CB29-4E33-BB77-647C40E91CDA.jpeg

Ok. If I were a match gripper I'd tell you that those chicks are not the chicks you're looking for. You want something like this:

1616794093765.jpeg

So the intended joke was that my left hand matched cannot keep up with the double strokes. I’m not sure my meme conveyed that clearly!

Trad Grippers know that they can post anything on here without fear of contradiction.
Because as part of the masochist community they know that any criticism of them can be prosecuted as a hate crime.
(Light blue touchpaper and retreat to a safe distance. Fast) ?
I think I didn’t do a very good job with my meme. It was more of a lament that I cannot get my matched left hand up to par no matter how hard I work at it!

Dagnabit 8mile ya aren’t suppose to explain it . I’m just ripping on another thread. Your meme-ory must not be good if you forgot that golden rule.

Well someone has to defend your left hand. Sounds like you’re ready to cut it off- no don’t do it. It ain’t that bad and in fact has some virtues better than your right but they just don’t always match up like you like. I’m guessing these assumptions because that describes my two hands LOL.

So the intended joke was that my left hand matched cannot keep up with the double strokes. I’m not sure my meme conveyed that clearly!

Your intent was clear, and your meme spot on.

I don't even play traditional grip, and I can roll better with it than I do with matched grip. My teacher and I were talking about it last week, and he told me he switches to traditional grip pretty much whenever he plays double stroke rolls.

I've recently started to wonder if Buddy Rich had a point when he opined something similar.

I rad it as trad grip doubles are hawt...matched grip doubles are not bad...but not hawt

I think I didn’t do a very good job with my meme. It was more of a lament that I cannot get my matched left hand up to par no matter how hard I work at it!

I think you wanna switch the girl on the right with the guy in the center ?
I had the opposite problem. Could not get my traditional grip left to keep up. Not even close! And believe me I tried forever. So I just don’t do it and play matched like I always have, and am totally fine with it . My left hand will just not move that way ??‍♂️. I CAN use my right in a traditional ( untraditional) grip though ??‍♂️

A lot of it has to do with how you were trained to play from a young age. My first lessons were in Junior High School. The director of the music department was my teacher. Definitely a great guy. Could play a minimum of drums. Just enough to get me started. But it was matched grip. He was a pretty good trumpet player though. Anyway, after either a few months but no more than a year started taking lessons from a local jazz player. He moved me over to traditional grip. So, from then on I played traditional grip. On occassion I might go to matched for something I'm doing or just for a change of pace. But ultimately I don't really feel comfortable playing matched grip. I feel much more comfortable playing traditional. When I was in college where I was a pre-law major I decided to take snare drum lessons from the classical guys there. My goal was to work on my technique. They wanted to have me do everything matched but I told them that I was just taking this as an elective and to work on my technique. My TRADITIONAL technique. And it definitely helped. And I felt a sense of accomplishment when I got through the piece they assigned me for my final exam. In addtiion to doing the snare thing, I also took some lessons from a local (Buffalo) jazz drummer. He was traditional all the way as well. I also happened to be playing in his jazz ensemble at college. There were three of them. He really helped me learn how to swing better. And then in my free time I was playing several nights a week in the house band in a downtown Bufflo dinner theater. And before going away to school I had taken lessons at Drummer's Collective in NYC. All of my playing described above was traditional grip. Even tonight when I was noodling around, I tried going to matched grip and it just doesn't feel right. I don't expect it to since I never really play matched. It's how I was trained and raised to play the drums.

I never noticed before. The gals are twins or photo shopped the same gal.
Either way, it's the same hand

Back