Can Anyone Name This Black Panther Snare?

WolfLeBlack

Evening guys and gals,

I'm new to these here shiny forums, so before I get going on the details of this post, let me first say, HI EVERYONE! Everyone hear me? You in the back? Yeah? Good.

Anyway, I've been shopping around for a new snare drum as I'm currently using an ancient session pro kit and the snare is....well, poor. I've tuned it as best as I can manage, replaced the bottom with a hazy and the top with an Evans Genera HD Dry to eliminate as much of the overtones as possible as it's a metal drum and has a rather nasty ring to it. IN all honesty, while it doesn't sound the best, it's passable, but what can I say, the tempation to get something a bit nicer was just too much.

So after a while of thought I settled on something out of the Mapex Black Panther range, because they seemed to offer the best sound to money ratio going. Exactly which model of Black Panther, you ask? Well, mostly whatever popped up at a good price :p

And one did pop up! The problem is, I can't actually identify what damn model of Panther it is. It's simply listed as a Special Edition Walnut Black Panther, but the seller is offering no other details on it and I can't find anything on the net about it. Sadly, I've also not got the time to do an in-depth search to find out exactly what it is, so putting the question to you guys seemed to be the best option.

In short, can you name this Black Panther snare?

And if you can name it, can you also provide any other information on it. Better yet, if you've played it, can you offer up an opinion on how it sounds?

Thanks ya'll!

WolfLeBlack

I don't know where you bought it but that's a Mapex snare built for Thomann and all the relevant info is available on their site: http://www.thomann.de/nl/mapex_14x55_special_panther_maple.htm
I've not actually bought it yet. It has popped up on Ebay and I've been considering buying it.

That's quite interesting. I never knew Mapex had done a special Black Panther for Thomann, although I'm assuming that it's probably just another of thier drums done up to look a bit different.

Since it's a one-off for a store, you reckon it'll have the samw quality that the Panthers are known for?

eric_B

I've not actually bought it yet. It has popped up on Ebay and I've been considering buying it.

That's quite interesting. I never knew Mapex had done a special Black Panther for Thomann, although I'm assuming that it's probably just another of thier drums done up to look a bit different.

Since it's a one-off for a store, you reckon it'll have the samw quality that the Panthers are known for?
Well, I don't think Mapex would want to do anything to jeopardize their Black Panther line so I think it is a pretty decent snare. As Thomann can buy and sell larger quantities, they probably can get their 'own' model and negotiate better prices.

ngebe

this is info found on net about maple bp thomann special edition from 2009 so i reckon it must be similar to this one
1. The shell is a Black Panther Traditional Maple, 5.1 mm thick
2. The hardware parts are chrome (the BP Maples had the black chrome parts, but they are the same lugs/die-cast hoops as found on the expensive BPs)
3. The snare strainer is from the Saturn series
4. The heads are Remo UX (made in China)
5. There is a small label on the shell (oposite side to the BP badge), that says "Thomann Special Edition". And who cares?

These are price-reducing items, so that's why these BPs are so cheap. The shell (the source of the sound) is the same as on the 600 $ BPs, and - for me - the traditional chrome lugs/hoops are much more beautiful, than the black chrome parts.
i bought the black panther exotic snare (thomann edition) last year for cheap and i couldnt be happier :)

theres also old thread on black panther special edition snares here
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63873

WolfLeBlack

this is info found on net about maple bp thomann special edition from 2009 so i reckon it must be similar to this one

i bought the black panther exotic snare (thomann edition) last year for cheap and i couldnt be happier :)

theres also old thread on black panther special edition snares here
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63873
Excellent, thanks for the information! It definately sounds like it's worth the purchase, even if the thing is brown and my kit is blue :p

The guy selling it on Ebay has a starting price of £99, so it looks like I'd be just as well off buying it direct from Thomann. Just a shame they don't have the 14x5.5 in the natural look like they do the 14x6.5

markdrum

Silver Member
Actually they have these in the States as well. The Drum Center of Portsmouth:has them in the 14 x 5.5" and 14 x 6.5" sizes. They are some of the most resonant drums that I've heard. They look and sound great. I bought a 6.5" to go with my Saturns and it fits right in. These are good drums for the price and the finish is killer. I don't think that they come in natural finish but that would look great too. Happy hunting!

http://drumcenternh.com/