Can a Piece of Music Stop a Bullet?

Scott K Fish

Silver Member
Can a Piece of Music Stop a Bullet?

SKF NOTE: I remember him by first name only: Bruce. An airline steward by trade, Bruce was a drummer/percussionist at heart. Somehow Bruce and I connected when I was at Modern Drummer magazine, once in person, and a few times by phone. What I remember most about Bruce was that his work took him to countries around the globe. And he loved bringing percussion instruments from one country and giving them to percussionists in another country.

Of course, the percussionists receiving Bruce's gifts had no familiarity with -- let alone formal training -- the percussion instruments from foreign lands.

That was precisely Bruce's point. He wanted to see how, say, drummers in Cuba would use unfamiliar Chinese percussion instruments. And vice versa.

Carrying his quest one step further, when Bruce's work cycle took him back to, say, Cuba, Bruce would tape record the Cuban drummers using the Chinese percussion instruments. When Bruce returned to China, he would play for his Chinese percussion friends the tapes of how Cuban drummers were using Chinese percussion instruments.

Scott K Fish Blog: Life Beyond the Cymbals Click Here to View Entire Post