Camping: grab your sticks and pad and head to the woods!!

Ronzo

I freaking HATE when they kill the animal after an attack...unless it is to stop the spread of a disease...but why else do that...it doesn't prevent more attacks from happening...

it is like punishing the animals even more for our intrusion into their living room. I think we forget that we don't "own" the wilderness. They are reacting the same way we would if someone intruded in our home....

just pisses me off that idiots trundle blindly and belligerently into their world ,and then are shocked when something bad happens
I do not agree with your statement and have the opposite view. But that’s cool with me as I value other peoples opinions. Although I do agree with your statement, ”idiots trundling blindly and belligerently into their world.“;)

Once an animal like a bear identifies human activity equals food, the bear will return. Are humans to blame for not properly storing food in trees and taking precautions like you should while camping? Absolutely! 100%!

So instead of spending a dollar on a bullet and putting an end to the problem and potentially any fatalities in the future, our agencies spend thousands of dollars relocating a single bear. Have to call in a biologist, have to call in law-enforcement, have to call in a veterinarian etc....that adds up to thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Now don’t get me wrong if the bear has cubs I am all for tranquilizing and relocating.

As an environmentalist, hunter and avid outdoor enthusiast what really drives me nuts is tree huggers (no reference to anyone here) complaining that they shouldn’t put Yogi down while they stand there in leather shoes a leather belt while scarfing down a cheeseburger. Most of the meat that goes on my table is taken by my own hands and that includes dear, turkey, fish, moose and various birds. Do you know what would be an interesting social experiment? If everyone who wanted to eat meat had to go visit and pass a test at a slaughterhouse at least once in their life. If people had to do that they would have a good reason not to eat meat. Plus the fact the tree huggers buy their meat wrapped in two of the most un-biodegradable substance is known to man… Cellophane and Styrofoam… And don’t forget the meat tampon under the meat as well

I once worked with an urban planner who said people who hunt only do so to satisfy their blood lust. After a pause and a head scratch :unsure:I responded “You are an urban planner. Do you have any idea of how many animals habitats you have destroyed?“
The hypocrisy in today’s society knows no bounds.🥴

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I do not agree with your statement and have the opposite view. Although I do agree with your statement, ”idiots trundling blindly and belligerently into their world.“

Once an animal like a bear identifies human activity equals food, the bear will return. Are humans to blame for not properly storing food in trees and taking precautions like you should while camping? Absolutely! 100%!

So instead of spending a dollar on a bullet and putting an end to the problem and potentially any fatalities in the future, our agencies spend thousands of dollars relocating a single bear. Have to call in a biologist, have to call in law-enforcement, have to call in a veterinarian etc....that adds up to thousands if not tens of thousands of dollars. Now don’t get me wrong if the bear has cubs I am all for tranquilizing and relocating.

As an environmentalist, hunter and avid outdoor enthusiast what really drives me nuts is tree huggers complaining that they shouldn’t put Yogi down while they stand there in leather shoes a leather belt while scarfing down a cheeseburger. Most of the meat that goes on my table is taken by my own hands and that includes dear, turkey, fish, moose and various birds. Do you know would be an interesting social experiment? If everyone who wanted to eat meat had to go visit and pass a test at a slaughterhouse at least once in their life. If people had to do that they would have a good reason not to eat meat. Plus the fact the tree huggers buy their meat wrapped in two of the most un-biodegradable substance is known to man… Cellophane and Styrofoam… And don’t forget the meat tampon under the meat as well

I once worked with an urban planner who said people who hunt only do so to satisfy their blood lust. After a pause and a head scratch I responded “You are an urban planner. Do you have any idea of how many animals habitats you have destroyed?“
The hypocrisy in today’s society knows no bounds.

or humans could just stop going into where the animals live...

or could learn how to live along with the animals eco system and be a part of it (like we used to), instead of just smashing it....

I know that the above suggestions are utopian, especially now, 100's of years after humans first smashed into other ecosystems

and my dads relatives ran farms and slaughterhouses all across Central Illinois that I used to work on as a kid in the summer - mostly so I could learn about where our food actually comes from - but for other reasons as well (it was actually fun to have been a city kid learning about that world as a teen ager. I learned a lot about life), so I am not one of the anti-hunter types, though I never got into it myself. My complaint was not coming from that angle. I realize, and try NOT to be a part of the industrialized food train wreck as much as I can. Espeially in the past 15 years or so since I have had more controll over it in my life

I just feel like the animals existence has already been compromised by our belligerence, and then the most belligerent of us all go out and do dumb things like not being wilderness/situationally aware.

It is frustrating in general to see the overall ignorance of humans in ANY situation...not just environmental...the past year has really been a big show of that...

we have this discussion/argument a lot in the mountain biking forum I am in too...people out on bikes in the woods, not being situationally aware, and then doing damage to the wilderness and the activity by being ignorant....

Ronzo

or humans could just stop going into where the animals live...

or could learn how to live along with the animals eco system and be a part of it (like we used to), instead of just smashing it....

I know that the above suggestions are utopian, especially now, 100's of years after humans first smashed into other ecosystems

and my dads relatives ran farms and slaughterhouses all across Central Illinois that I used to work on as a kid in the summer - mostly so I could learn about where our food actually comes from - but for other reasons as well (it was actually fun to have been a city kid learning about that world as a teen ager. I learned a lot about life), so I am not one of the anti-hunter types, though I never got into it myself. My complaint was not coming from that angle. I realize, and try NOT to be a part of the industrialized food train wreck as much as I can. Espeially in the past 15 years or so since I have had more controll over it in my life

I just feel like the animals existence has already been compromised by our belligerence, and then the most belligerent of us all go out and do dumb things like not being wilderness/situationally aware.

It is frustrating in general to see the overall ignorance of humans in ANY situation...not just environmental...the past year has really been a big show of that...

we have this discussion/argument a lot in the mountain biking forum I am in too...people out on bikes in the woods, not being situationally aware, and then doing damage to the wilderness and the activity by being ignorant....
I hear ya and most city kids have no idea where food comes from.

I heard of a teacher asking grade 2 or 3 students where french fries came from and some of the students...only a few...answered ice cream. When they were asked why they thought french fries came from ice cream they answered, “because every time my parents make french fries they go to the freezer and that’s where they keep the ice cream.“

We are doomed as a species lol!

I freaking HATE when they kill the animal after an attack...unless it is to stop the spread of a disease...but why else do that...it doesn't prevent more attacks from happening...

it is like punishing the animals even more for our intrusion into their living room. I think we forget that we don't "own" the wilderness. They are reacting the same way we would if someone intruded in our home....

just pisses me off that idiots trundle blindly and belligerently into their world ,and then are shocked when something bad happens
I completely understand where you’re coming from , but like @Ronzo I have to respectfully disagree.
Not all but many bear attacks ( although there aren’t a lot) are not necessarily a persons fault or the bears, but even when it is a persons fault , that bear needs to be put down . Before I get lit up for this by anyone reading this ,
1- if a person purposely screws with or harasses a bear they have what’s coming .
2- people make mistakes without intention and some may say well they deserve the attack or death by bear anyway. That’s debatable , but what’s not is now that a bear that’s attacked and or eaten an idiot or someone who screwed up, it has the taste of human blood and now poses a serious risk of death to others in or out of forested areas . Remember too that some attacks don’t take place in the woods or wilderness but in suburban backyards. We all can’t live or don’t live in cities either and yes it would be great to live in harmony with wildlife in and around wooded areas , but the woods , forests and land is out home and environment too. It’s , unfortunate and also very rare that a bear has to be put down but it’s sometimes a necessity.

Black bears are mostly predictable ( in general) in their behavior and will shy away or even run from humans, but sometimes they can be unpredictable and very individual in their behaviors.
The curious ones make me nervous! I had in bear that I saw from I high ridge following my exact path on the flat below that I just walked through ! It was a good distance off and eventually veered of my path but had followed me for at least a thousand yards . This was in northern main by the Canadian border.
I was false charged at about 40 yards in the Catskills by a female with Cubs , This could have gone bad , but I recognized what was happening and backed out slowly and she and the Cubs headed up the slope and away . Thank GOD !!!
While hunting in Massachusetts Berkshire mts. I had this bear come up the back of my tree. I should have just stood up and made noise and it probably ( most certainly) would have ran off but I thought it would walk by . Instead it went behind my tree , stood up , put its front paws on , and I could hear its claws dig in and in a matter of a second I was literally eyeball to eyeball 30 feet off the ground with the 300 pound animal with only the trunk between us ! It was left of the tree and I went right and yelled and in 3 secs hecwas gone . I got video of him but can’t figure how to post here but I’ll see if I can’t post some screen shots of the vid . Strange too, was it was almost middle December with temps in the low teens and snow on the ground . He should have been den’d up . Again bears and the outdoors CAN be unpredictable but as you’ve said and we were taught in scouts and learned with time on the planet. BE PREPARED!!! . Expect the unexpected because even when you do things can still go south , but it can be the difference between being injured and getting killed .

On a side note , if you drum or drum on a pad in the woods I can almost guarantee you’ll bit see a bear . In many places it’s rare to see them as their sense of smell is so great . The bears I’ve seen and those situations I’ve been in have all been in the last ten years. Before that , the only time I saw one in the wild in over 40 years in the outdoors was in 2005 on my first , only , and last bear hunt in New Brunswick Canada . I only kill what I eat and didn’t care for most of the cuts of meat ( unless stewed) so I swore I would not kill another , unless my life was in danger . And I’ll ( after those encounters) more than likely know when that is .

Attachments

• 450CE5E7-6515-4F6A-8738-5F80AFF69301.jpeg
    450CE5E7-6515-4F6A-8738-5F80AFF69301.jpeg
    9.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 7C50AF50-99CF-4928-AC80-9D437DC13946.jpeg
    7C50AF50-99CF-4928-AC80-9D437DC13946.jpeg
    6.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 0EF59660-21A0-4015-9614-D242055B38FF.jpeg
    0EF59660-21A0-4015-9614-D242055B38FF.jpeg
    9.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

The Shepherd

When I was in Scouts we used to go on week long canoe trips in Algonquin Park in Ontario. The portaging kinda sucked but the canoeing, friendships and scenery made up for carrying all that stuff. Algonquin was awesome at night. You could see the Milky Way and satellites whizzing by overhead and the wolves howling away in the woods.

Now that I'll be 50 this year, I have turned soft. I can't sleep in a sleeping bag anymore, I need a real bed. My wife would never go anywhere that didn't have electricity and hot water. My son though is young and when I try to explain that Daddy is old and can't sleep in tents anymore, he gives me grief.

Maybe I should meet him half way and buy a trailer. I think I could sleep in one of those.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I hear ya and most city kids have no idea where food comes from.

I heard of a teacher asking grade 2 or 3 students where french fries came from and some of the students...only a few...answered ice cream. When they were asked why they thought french fries came from ice cream they answered, “because every time my parents make french fries they go to the freezer and that’s where they keep the ice cream.“

We are doomed as a species lol!

don't even get me started!!! i interact/teach - and try to undo some of the ignorance - with 5th grade- seniors in HS every day, and it is SHOCKING as to how unprepared these kids are for real life...I think none of us can expect to be taken care of by the younger generation as we get older...they will be barely fending for themselves

I completely understand where you’re coming from , but like @Ronzo I have to respectfully disagree.
Not all but many bear attacks ( although there aren’t a lot) are not necessarily a persons fault or the bears, but even when it is a persons fault , that bear needs to be put down . Before I get lit up for this by anyone reading this ,
1- if a person purposely screws with or harasses a bear they have what’s coming .
2- people make mistakes without intention and some may say well they deserve the attack or death by bear anyway. That’s debatable , but what’s not is now that a bear that’s attacked and or eaten an idiot or someone who screwed up, it has the taste of human blood and now poses a serious risk of death to others in or out of forested areas . Remember too that some attacks don’t take place in the woods or wilderness but in suburban backyards. We all can’t live or don’t live in cities either and yes it would be great to live in harmony with wildlife in and around wooded areas , but the woods , forests and land is out home and environment too. It’s , unfortunate and also very rare that a bear has to be put down but it’s sometimes a necessity.

Black bears are mostly predictable ( in general) in their behavior and will shy away or even run from humans, but sometimes they can be unpredictable and very individual in their behaviors.
The curious ones make me nervous! I had in bear that I saw from I high ridge following my exact path on the flat below that I just walked through ! It was a good distance off and eventually veered of my path but had followed me for at least a thousand yards . This was in northern main by the Canadian border.
I was false charged at about 40 yards in the Catskills by a female with Cubs , This could have gone bad , but I recognized what was happening and backed out slowly and she and the Cubs headed up the slope and away . Thank GOD !!!
While hunting in Massachusetts Berkshire mts. I had this bear come up the back of my tree. I should have just stood up and made noise and it probably ( most certainly) would have ran off but I thought it would walk by . Instead it went behind my tree , stood up , put its front paws on , and I could hear its claws dig in and in a matter of a second I was literally eyeball to eyeball 30 feet off the ground with the 300 pound animal with only the trunk between us ! It was left of the tree and I went right and yelled and in 3 secs hecwas gone . I got video of him but can’t figure how to post here but I’ll see if I can’t post some screen shots of the vid . Strange too, was it was almost middle December with temps in the low teens and snow on the ground . He should have been den’d up . Again bears and the outdoors CAN be unpredictable but as you’ve said and we were taught in scouts and learned with time on the planet. BE PREPARED!!! . Expect the unexpected because even when you do things can still go south , but it can be the difference between being injured and getting killed .

On a side note , if you drum or drum on a pad in the woods I can almost guarantee you’ll bit see a bear . In many places it’s rare to see them as their sense of smell is so great . The bears I’ve seen and those situations I’ve been in have all been in the last ten years. Before that , the only time I saw one in the wild in over 40 years in the
outdoors was in 2005 on my first , only , and last bear hunt in New Brunswick Canada . I only kill what I eat and didn’t care for most of the cuts of meat ( unless stewed) so I swore I would not kill another , unless my life was in danger . And I’ll ( after those encounters) more than likely know when that is .

I guess I understand, but still don't agree with that end to the attack problem...part of the collateral damage of us overtaking their area 100's of years ago

Couple more pics of some motorcycle camping. Logging roads in the heart of Algonquin.
View attachment 104249

Small solo tent
View attachment 104250

damn, i am sooo jealous of all of you Great White Northerners!!!!! I want to be there as well....but my bike would have no motor!!

I need to hit the lotto so I can just up and skidaddle when ever I want

roncadillac

I grew up camping my whole life in different spots around Pennsylvania and occasionally North Jersey and the Jersey shore. When my wife and I started dating as teenagers I quickly introduced her to camping (wasn't something her family did) and she loved it. Fast forward, we now live in Florida and only have gone 'camping' a few times in cabins (or should I say Kabins lol) because the ants, spiders, fleas, snakes, roaches, mosquitoes, etc are just so intense and relentless it's not even enjoyable. We are looking into getting a small camper.

Pad and sticks is great but boy do I love swooshing some brushes on a snare or even a cardboard box by the fireside.

Cheers!

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I grew up camping my whole life in different spots around Pennsylvania and occasionally North Jersey and the Jersey shore. When my wife and I started dating as teenagers I quickly introduced her to camping (wasn't something her family did) and she loved it. Fast forward, we now live in Florida and only have gone 'camping' a few times in cabins (or should I say Kabins lol) because the ants, spiders, fleas, snakes, roaches, mosquitoes, etc are just so intense and relentless it's not even enjoyable. We are looking into getting a small camper.

Pad and sticks is great but boy do I love swooshing some brushes on a snare or even a cardboard box by the fireside.

Cheers!

yeah, I don't know how anyone camps down south with all of those critters...that is also why I prefer fall/winter camping to summer, even here up north.

Yamaha Rider

Yep ! Adirondacks are beautiful and awesome ! Sooo much to do for the outdoor enthusiast. If you like it there you’ll love northern Maine and the Mount Katahden area, moose head lake, jackman, and the rangely lake area. Occasionally see Appalachian trail hikers in town in millinocket first and second week of November . Would’ve loved to do that whole hike but is a younger mans game and I’ve got too many injuries. Plus you’ve gotta plan and time it just right with the weather .
Also love spending time outdoors at my sisters house near grand junction Colorado. I’d wake up early at her house and in 5 minutes be up in the national monument drinking coffee as the sun comes up while big horn sheep walk by . Just amazing . Hiking through the Mesa there is unreal too. Just a beautiful place !!!
Great writer called Bill Bryson has a book about the trail.
It's a monster hike. He only managed a little bit of it.

Yamaha Rider

"or could learn how to live along with the animals eco system and be a part of it (like we used to), instead of just smashing it...."

Tends to get forgotten that in a short time of arriving in North America - the native Americans had exterminated the mammoths, camels and wild horses...

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Every species has a carrying capacity of related to resources to support a population size. When humans enter a new ecosystem it’s at the expense of other species and drives extinction of species. We’ve done so last 10k years so drove megafauna extinction and with decrease in biomass that alters carbon cycle so climate change also initiated. Some species have adapted or even benefited like white tail increased with human clearing forest grew larger than ever befor but now we’ve grown so large we have to have hunters to regulate sizes of populations to an areas to keep populations healthy. It’s strange how the size of black bears has grown the last 20 years. I use to bow hunt in an area filled with bears we called hog bears. They were small maybe 100 lbs now a 400 lb black bear is a common sight.

MntnMan62

A woman here was killed by a black bear about a week ago while walking her dogs. The really weird part is that when fish and wildlife caught and killed the bear, they found other human remains in it's digestive tract. Clearly, that bear got a taste for human and wanted some more.
That incident is extraordinarily rare.
I don't know a lot about bears but what I've heard is that black bears can be more dangerous than other bears like brown or grizzlies because black bears don't tend to bluff. If they charge you, they mean business. Also, if they do charge you I've heard you should fight for your life and not play dead because that black bear will likely eat you.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My uncle shot and wounded a black bear that then charged and he couldn’t even get another billet chambered before bear was on him and him on the run after him. My uncle climbed on a tree hanging over a cliff and the bear slipped off to his death- least that’s his story and he made a bear rug out of him. My Dad had to beat him so killed a huge Kodak brown bear that made a larger rug. That bear has a huge head and giant 3 in claws but has eyeballs like a lil marble. They both had trophy rooms and it was a big prestige thing to them. I hated he killed them but he had full mounts of a black bear and cougar that were just beautiful. Also a great horned owl that now is a felony to possess . I have to admit I was intrigued by taxidermy as an adolescent so took a mail order course and would make bird forms with wood wool and did stuff a lot of birds- a male wood duck turned out great. Now they lyophilize specimens- So freeze-dried just add water and reconstituted freshness later ROFL

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The woods thinks it's funny this year. For about a week and a half now a yellow Summer Tanager (bird) has been pecking at my windows. It starts right at sun up, and continues on randomly throughout the day. The bird will perch on the gutter or roof edge depending, and just drop down and peck. It will also stand on our ac units and just peck away for a while. This must be payback for the tree culling program I initiated at the beginning of this year.

Summer Tanagers:
summer-tanagers-5826529_1280-1.jpg

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

The woods thinks it's funny this year. For about a week and a half now a yellow Summer Tanager (bird) has been pecking at my windows. It starts right at sun up, and continues on randomly throughout the day. The bird will perch on the gutter or roof edge depending, and just drop down and peck. It will also stand on our ac units and just peck away for a while. This must be payback for the tree culling program I initiated at the beginning of this year.

Summer Tanagers:
View attachment 105138

i wonder if it is an old relative trying to communicate;

for the past few years, a cardinal had been landing outside my mother in laws kitchen window when she was eating breakfast. Every morning. The bird would just sit there for a while.

About 2 months ago, she fell, and went to the hospital. My wife said that a cardinal would land on the window sill of the hospital room every morning at the same time while her mom was there. When mom came back home, the bird came back.

2 weeks ago, my mother in law passed at home. My wife said that the next morning, there was no cardinal. We think it was my wifes dad, who died of a heart attack 25 years ago

I f-ing LOVE stuff like that...

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
With the job I had a couple of years ago I was pretty much living the van life. Had some stuff stored at work, at my parents place and in a storage facility in the city. The big reason for my focus on pads and various pad kits mostly came from that.

Things are a litle bit dfferent now, but had life been a little bit simpler (aka without the narcissitic abuse and legal matters that maytake the rest of my life), this and drumming would be my main things.

Here's from the first overnighter with my new setup. Leaning towards the basic, simple and military grade stuff now.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG

Yes, when a bear isn't afraid of people anymore there's not much you can do. Bears run on instinct and do not function like we do. Obviously, people are to blame because we're stupid. Most of the time bears should be of no concern. I understand it may be a bit more complicated in other places than where I live.

brady

Platinum Member
I absolutely love backpacking. I used to be really into hammocking until this happened....

Northern Minnesota a few years back...storms knocked down several trees, 3 of which landed on me in my hammock!! You can make out the reflective cord on my tarp in the lower corner of the pic. Miraculously, I was not hurt, just a bruised thigh and shoulder.

That was just too crazy for me to continue to risk anything so, I'm back to camping in tents now. In tents...intense!! Ha! See what I did there? 🙄 Yeah, the hammocks are pretty much just for lounging nowadays. Plus, with tents, I don't have to worry if an area will have accommodating trees.

hammock.jpg