camera/video camera + editing software?

Nick G.

so i have cubase + an 4 mics for my drums and i really want to be able to record some drum covers
but a few slight problems

1. i dont have a camera
any recommendations (doesnt need good quality just fastish frame rate) and preferably not to expensive

2. i dont know how to to sync video with drumming

and help would be greatly appreciated

i guess this shouldnt really be in "drum gear" but couldn't think of a better place :)

im getting a mac in october so possibly there is better editing software on there for video's? (i know logic for the actual songs)

but currently i just have a pc with cubase but no video editing gear

cheers

Dont know if im really helping at all but i use a JVC everio and i get great video and sound quality from it. Sony Vegas 10 is a great program for video editing. As for syncing the audio and video, just take your audio file and clip to the beginning of the video, then just play around with the placement until you get it right, the first few times you might need to play around with it a little more, but eventually you will get the hang of the editing.

As for you mac, i movie is wonderful, but from my experience with editing my skatevideo's it can sometimes lag a bit depending on what other programs you have running.

Good luck man!!

any camera will work as long as you can get the footage onto your computer. most cameras will be able to record audio as well (guidetrack). the guidetrack is automatically sync'd with the picture.
start recording with the camera, and record using your 4 mics-computer and cubase.
synchronize your guidetrack with the audio you recorded with cubase. there is software you can use to automatically match the waveforms, but i just match up the manually. snare hits are easy to match and sync. cubase also has a track for video, so you can see when you've gotten everything in sync.

if you want to actually edit video, you will need other software. other than vegas, premiere, avid and other pro apps, i've heard windows media maker will do a basic job.
when you get your mac, imovie is also a good start.
i'm sure there are free video editing apps out there. it depends on what you want to do with your vids that should determine your investment in the hardware/software...

Before this goes off the technical deep end, I'm looking at what you require:

You want to do drum covers
You want to do them on video so you can post them on YouTube.

I don't think we're talking about sync-ing video to audio, are we? You're simply going to be playing your drums to a pre-recorded track and then uploading it for the world to see, right?

I do it one of two ways:

1) I have a Zoom Q3 video recorder that records everything from a nice stereo mic on top of the camera to a flash card. You could play your tracks through an amp, and simply play your drums along. When you have a performance you can be happy with, simply plug the Zoom into your computer's USB port and start the Zoom software. It'll even upload from there to YouTube! It's all built in.

2) I also have a Kodak Zi8 hi-def flash video recorder and this one has the all-important stereo line-in jack. I simply play my tracks through my mixer, mic up my drums through my mixer, set the input level on the camera, hit record and go to town. Since this camera can record at 720 (it does 1080 too), I can load that video into my Mac's iMovie, and edit, and then upload to YouTube. (I'm working on my first video production with this camera, I'll upload it soon). Oddly enough, this camcorder was cheaper than the standard def Zoom Q3! But the Zoom is a god send if I just want to throw the camera on a stand and record a live band (which I've done - it's great for that).

If you want to show people how you play, I don't think you need to sync anything together. Just play the track, and play along. Don't make it too complicated, then you're spending all your time figuring out how to make that work and not playing.

Hi, guys. Sorry for bumping this thread. I have already found the camera I want to film on, now I need an editing software. Any suggestions?

Before spending any money, get OpenShot video editor (open source freeware) and play around a little with that. It is as powerful as you wish to explore from simple to fairly intermediate editing. Standard layout with multiple tracks (video and audio) so it's easy to align/sync elements as needed. Of course dissolves and fades and such, and different exporting compression choices.

Not super-elegant, but a good investment ($0) to get your feet wet and some background, and then explore something else if needed. I've been very happy with it (especially the $ savings) for simple stuff.

Hi, guys. Sorry for bumping this thread. I have already found the camera I want to film on, now I need an editing software. Any suggestions?
It depends on what are you editing on I mean windows or MacOS. Anyway, there's software that can be used on any operating system. I personally have recently switched to the movavi video editor and I can call it "Microsoft Windows version of iMovie". It’s a great app with lots of functions to help you create your own video masterpiece from scratch on your personal computer or laptop.

DaVinci is free and very pro. This is the way.
It depends on what are you editing on I mean windows or MacOS. Anyway, there's software that can be used on any operating system. I personally have recently switched to the movavi video editor and I can call it "Microsoft Windows version of iMovie". It’s a great app with lots of functions to help you create your own video masterpiece from scratch on your personal computer or laptop.
guys, thank you a lot!!!!!!

Hi, guys. Sorry for bumping this thread. I have already found the camera I want to film on, now I need an editing
DaVinci Resolve, it's free and there are lots of tutorials in YouTube.
I also use a gopro hero 2 which has a 1/8 inch mic input which I use to send the headphone out from my module, I also connect my laptop to the module aux in and presto video and audio in sync with perfect quality, I just have to make sure my levels are not clipping. But this can be done with any camera that has a mic input and a mixer if you are recording acoustic drums. Mic your drums, add a track to play along also using the mixer, send a line to your camera and plug in your headphones. Your phone can be used as an extra camera, all you have to do is set bot camera and phone to record, clap to have a waveform you can use to sync audio tracks, delete the audio from your phone track and leave only video, do the same for any extra cameras you have.

Last edited:
It’s a bit more complicated to setup, but I use my DAW output into OBS with my iPhone as the camera.
There is no syncing needed and it records directly from OBS to a movie file without needing rendering.
I only know how to do it on a Mac.
I don’t know how to set it up on a pc.

The trick is downloading soundflower and setting up an aggregate sound device.
Set the DAW output to the aggregate device and select that aggregate device in OBS as the audio capture.
I use an app called ShutterCast to allow the iPhone to be used as a tethered camera in OBS

You’re just recording from OBS at that point and you don’t have to import video or sync or render anything.

There are a lot of settings that initially tripped me up, but after the general setup, it’s just pecking around a little to get it to work. Now it’s just turn on DAW, turn on OBS and hit record.

Drop a song on an open track or 2 and just play along.

Back