Calming the Nerves before Performance

Hey!

Tommorow I will be competing the in Guitar Center Drum Off. Ive been practicing my solo almost every day and I know exactly what im going to do. The only thing is im afraid im going to drop a stick during one of my stick flips (which i have 4). I really dont want to take these out of the solo, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips on calming the nerves.

Thanks!
Kryger

Jack Boyd

As soon as possible, begin to visualize successful stick flips, over and over (and over). Make sure you are visualizing what the move looks like from your eyes, not like a movie of you on stage. Proper mental practice is almost as important as physical practice.
Then, right before you go onstage, sit calmly and quietly for a few minutes. Try to clear your mind and relax.
Good luck!

TNA

Everyone has a different pre-performance ritual they do to help them prepare and calm nerves. Is this your first time performing in front of a crowd? I don't know what to tell you because what works for me may not work for you. Just think positively and be confident that you practiced enough. Unfortunately you're only playing one song because usually you'll be a lot more calm after that first song is over, and you play the rest of the set.

A

audiotech

I just imagine everyone being naked in the audience. That's why I grin so much, lol.

Dennis

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I just imagine everyone being naked in the audience. That's why I grin so much, lol.
Whoa there mate.....I could prop you in front of an audience or two here in Oz that would wipe that smile straight off your face.....it ain't pretty!! :)

Nerves? Always had them to some degree......still do. Although gigs are rare for me these days.....when I do one, I note the nerves aren't so rare. I think a small degree of nervousness is great and to be expected, it helps to keep you sharp, focused and aware.

Harness nervous energy and use it in your favour. Fear.....well that's a whole 'nother animal. ;-)

Last edited:

larryz

Platinum Member

Dennis
Just saw that episode of the Brady Bunch where Marcia's taking her driving test. Nervous, she imagines the instructor old man in his underwear :) Ha!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
I like to sacrifice large animals to the Gods before I go on. It's a good way to siphon off excess energy.

The go for a jog is probably the best advice.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
You "just" saw the Brady bunch?
I hear it's a very popular program with the prison inmates in protective custody *shudder*

joshthedrumkid97 said:
convince yourself that the song you are playing is easy
Reminds me of the old saying - do everything you find difficult as though it's easy, and everything you find easy as though it's difficult.

Not that I do it myself. I just get nervous like most other performers and sometimes it works out ok, sometimes not.

I like PFOG's suggestion of accepting that there's going to be butterflies and that the adrenaline will make you sharp. You just have to make sure you keep the tempos under control.

TNA

Thanks for the advice! I didnt have that much nerves at my performance, also i dropped my stick once during the solo, but i recovered. Heres the solo if you wish to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsd1RkaooUU&feature=channel_video_title. I advanced to the second round!

Cheers!
Kryger
Good job and congrats on making it to the second round. One thing I do notice about your playing is that you seem very stiff (may have been nerves), and this seems to cause your playing to be very one dimensional (for lack of a better description). It sounds like you are bashing on your drums a lot and using a lot of power in each stroke, there are many different kinds of strokes which will make your playing sound more varied.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
I didnt have that much nerves at my performance, also i dropped my stick once during the solo, but i recovered. Heres the solo if you wish to see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsd1RkaooUU&feature=channel_video_title. I advanced to the second round!
Not surprised you advanced - very good skills! I was enjoying the solo until you shifted to backbeat. I couldn't see the point ... but then I realised you were setting up for the stick trick.

Your demeanour changed noticeably after dropping the stick, I could almost hear the expletives you were thinking :) ... and the compositional flow was lost for a while. I've done that too ... but it's always better to ignore it. Live and learn ...

Dwight

That was really good, you play very well. I would say not to repeat the elbow thing, once was fine. Also they should give you a snare stand that doesn't move around so much. Some of the snare rolls might be changed up a bit to keep it more interesting and be sure to time it so you get to your finale before they cut you off. Good luck on round 2!

Too Many Songs

I've heard that eating a banana before an audition helps calm people down a little.
Bit of an urban myth this. Bananas contain very small amounts of beta blockers (or their bananary equivalents) but you would have to eat thousands for a noticable effect.

Nice solo and nice recovery from the stick drop.

Poor kid in the push-chair is gonna need new ears though...

mikel

Platinum Member
If you drop a stick while playing, that's bad luck.
If you drop a stick doing a "stick flip" that is your fault. Why are you doing that anyway? What has "flipping a stick in the air" got to do with drumming? It makes no sound so how can It be drumming.
If you need to play a solo play the best one you can, but please, leave the showboating to posers.
Just my opinion.

Numberless

Platinum Member
If you drop a stick while playing, that's bad luck.
If you drop a stick doing a "stick flip" that is your fault. Why are you doing that anyway? What has "flipping a stick in the air" got to do with drumming? It makes no sound so how can It be drumming.
If you need to play a solo play the best one you can, but please, leave the showboating to posers.
Just my opinion.
Maybe so but in this particular context a certain level of showmanship is expected so the stick tricks have their place.