Calling Pork Pie experts, what is this?

Ok, I do kinda know what it is, or I wouldn't have bought it. It's some kind of limited run series made out of "Siam Oak" (which as I understand is basically Asian Mahogany, in any case it's a pretty pale and whiteish wood, the reddish color is a stain).

What I'm curious about is whether this should be considered a USA kit. It's not called US Customs, or Hip Pig, or Little Squealer. Just Siam Oak.

It does not have the tom suspension mount that other PP Siam Oak kits online have.

It doesn't say USA anywhere on the shells, not does it mention any other country. It does say "Made by an American" on the heads, which is kind of an odd thing to say, and given that these are USA Remo heads it's not really lying no matter where the shells themselves are made.

There a label on the tom that explains why hand made is better, but it never says this one is handmade...

The price is amazing if it's US made (under a grand), but just ok if it ain't.

My theory is that PP imported these shells, but finished them in house. The bearing edges are certainly better than anything else I've seen in this price range. The finish however is already fading in places (hence the discounted price).

The sound is damn good. Fat and resonant, with a warm controlled attack. Everything else in the store sounded dead next to it, but shipping with proper heads will do that.

Anyway, just curious if anyone knows more.

EDIT: Also, there are no serial numbers anywhere. Just generic Pork Pie badges screwed on. I do know it's from around 2018.

20220720_200557.jpg

received_1272058810232970.jpeg

Last edited:
Bongos, congas, etc are also made from siam oak.

I looked up siam oak and it came up Rubbertree. I looked up Rubbertree and did not come up with siam oak. Hmmm.

Siam is what Thailand used to be called.

That's all I got.

I think your instincts are spot on. The parts were most likely imported and then assembled in the US. If it were made in the USA, it would definitely say so.

That's a beautiful kit!

I think your instincts are spot on. The parts were most likely imported and then assembled in the US. If it were made in the USA, it would definitely say so.

That's a beautiful kit!

Just read an interview with Bill Detamore (Mr Pork Pie himself) and one question was about where he sources his shells and there's basically no single source, but he always tries to get them at a competitive price. For sure these are not from Keller or such, there's no way he could finish and edge Keller shells, add hardware and USA Remo heads and ship it to a store that still sells it for a mere 1099$ (what the intended price was according to an old Instagram price that showcased a similar kit).

That said, shells are only good as the edges on them IMHO, and that's where most "affordable" kits fail.

Just email pics and your question to Pork Pie, and Bill will get back in touch with you.

I did some Googling. Here you go!

Just email pics and your question to Pork Pie, and Bill will get back in touch with you.

I did some Googling. Here you go!

Yeah I did the same googling haha. That Drummerworld thread from 2018 is actually me! I spotted the same kit at a different Long & McQuade back in 2018, but it sold rapidly. Ended up buying this one in a different store (where it had been sitting since 2019 because it's not a hot spot for drummers and it wasn't listed online).

I think I can safely assume these are imported shells, but finished and edged by Bill himself. Just surprised there's no serial number or anything, just generic Pork Pie badges.

All those pictures I found show a RIMS mount on the tom, which mine does not have (it has a direct shell mounting clip instead). And it's a 22x14 kick.

Unfortunately the finish doesn't seem very durable as it's faded in some places, but I negociated the price accordingly.

I kinda wish I could get a 13x9 for it, I'll have to ask Bill. Would probably be impossible to match the finish, but not an issue if I decide to refinish it (given the fading issue).

Yeah I did the same googling haha. That Drummerworld thread from 2018 is actually me! I spotted the same kit at a different Long & McQuade back in 2018, but it sold rapidly. Ended up buying this one in a different store (where it had been sitting since 2019 because it's not a hot spot for drummers and it wasn't listed online).

I think I can safely assume these are imported shells, but finished and edged by Bill himself. Just surprised there's no serial number or anything, just generic Pork Pie badges.

All those pictures I found show a RIMS mount on the tom, which mine does not have (it has a direct shell mounting clip instead). And it's a 22x14 kick.

Unfortunately the finish doesn't seem very durable as it's faded in some places, but I negociated the price accordingly.

I kinda wish I could get a 13x9 for it, I'll have to ask Bill. Would probably be impossible to match the finish, but not an issue if I decide to refinish it (given the fading issue).

That's a great-sized kick. I may have kept my PP set if it was that size. Yes, that finish is a little fragile. I had a set in that same finish, and it showed scratches pretty easily. Bill has resourced shells from various places, so your best bet would probably to get in touch with him.

Last edited:
That's a great-sized kick. I may have kept my PP set if it was that size. Yes, that finish is a little fragile. I had a set in that same finish, and it showed scratched pretty easily. He has resourced shells from various places, so your best bet would probably to get in touch with him.

It's my favorite kick size and I will not buy anything longer than 14", it just takes up more space. If I want more low end, I would just up the diameter instead.

The kick size was a major factor in buying this, seeing how hard it is to find a good 22x14 under 2k$ for some reason (there's the new Tama Superstar Classic 3-piece , but for the price difference the PP was a no brainer)

Send them an email and I pretty much guarantee Bill himself with respond to you, who better to solve the mystery then the man himself

Watched his Drum History Podcast episode yesterday, and he showed a book that contains pictures of details of every single kit he's sold (not counting the Little Squealer kits of course which are made oversea), so I would assume he'll have information indeed! I'll take some better pics and ask him.

At least, I guess I can safely assume it's "USA finished" kit since it does not have Little Squealer badges. I've never seen Siam Oak (aka Rubbertree wood) used by anyone else, so very curious about the origin of those shells.

Ahhh, there's that handwritten serial number, signature and date! So August 2018 I guess.

Such a clean bearing edge and such a nice shell. Interesting that it's actually a mix of various wood species, looks like maybe a poplar core sandwiched with that Siam Oak (rubber tree wood really). Reminds me of those old Jasper shells.
20220722_105606.jpg20220722_105617.jpg

Back