Calling all with severe hearing loss!

john352050

35yr old, I have severe hearing loss in both ears, last tested only 20% left in both ears. Been wearing hearing aids for 10yrs, and REALLY want to enjoy playing drums again...while jamming along to music. Haven't played in a few years, so not sure how best to play along with music...but its gotta be possible! The type of hearing aids I have are the Audeo Marvels (the kind that fits deep in the ear canal, but has a small cord connecting to the actual receivers/microphones that sit behind the ear).
Looking for advice from any other drummer with severe hearing loss.

Options/ideas that I'm looking into:
-Wear Isolation headphones, like the Vic Firth stereo headphones...Now, the two options with using those is: Wear them with my hearing aids, or wear them over my hearing aids, if possible, not sure if the fit would be right...Just read an article that says wearing headphones over your hearing aids is actually possible, and at acceptably safe music volume levels wont worsen my hearing loss.
-Use my hearing aids to stream the music (the type I have now, you can use a iPhone app, and listen to any songs, and you can fade out the usual outside ambient volume, and only hear the music itself....acting like in-the-ear-monitors I suppose?) Then I could buy some cheapo hearing protection ear-muffs to wear over my hearing aids, to protect from the actual drums themselves.
-Or, take out the hearing aids completely, use the Vic Firth's and put on Remo Silent stroke drumheads and Zildjian quiet cymbals (L80s?)...but doubtful my natural hearing will be able to hear the Vic Firth's music/audio.

I know this will take lots of experimenting to figure out what works best for me.

*Sorry, that was a mouthful, hopefully yall get the gist...any other drummers out there with really bad hearing...I doubt I'm alone.

Hollywood Jim

Platinum Member
I have severe hearing loss. The first question I have is; do you need to dampen the sound of your drums so that you don't bother other people?
Or can you practice on your acoustic kit at full volume?
I play my acoustic kit partially dampened. And I use isolation headphones without my hearing aides. I can hear my drums just a little bit. I adjust the music in my headphones to where my drums are balanced in the mix of the music. It works good for me.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I just use earbuds. They offer enough protection to keep the drums quiet but are loud enough to hear the music. And yes, my hearing sucks too.

john352050

I have severe hearing loss. The first question I have is; do you need to dampen the sound of your drums so that you don't bother other people?
Or can you practice on your acoustic kit at full volume?
I play my acoustic kit partially dampened. And I use isolation headphones without my hearing aides. I can hear my drums just a little bit. I adjust the music in my headphones to where my drums are balanced in the mix of the music. It works good for me.

Thanks for the reply. I can practice with my kit not dampened, at full volume...but am still planning to buy the "quiet pack" with heads/cymbals, just to keep the wife sane or when there is a full house.
I'm leaning towards the idea of streaming music through my new hearing aids, because you can use a fader on the phone app and turn down the usual outside noise completely, muting it, but can adjust the music streaming volume still. Been messing around with muting the usual ambient/outside volume completely with my hearing aids, and it gives that "underwater" sensation/sound for volume....Then wearing some decent hearing protection muffs over my aids...Hopefully that will work ok.

Or i may just have to use the dampening heads/cymbals, and wear the Vic Firths for music. But, would really want to play with a non dampened kit if possible!

john352050

And what is the source of your music? The music comes through the earbuds?

Yeah my hearing aids are the "Audeo Marvel's", Ive never used monitors like i see lots of musicians wearing now, but I think they would act the same way...cut out the outside noise volume, and play streaming audio

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I have severe hearing loss-so dependent on hearing aids to hear much of anything. I've looked into the cochlear implants but that isn't the magic bullet I'd hoped for. Since mine are fitted to my ears I just turn the volume down and play along to ambient music through speakers. So turn them down to lowest setting (five beeps on mine) then set volume of music so I can hear both music and drums. To my hearing its low volume-loud as hell to everyone else. Since I've read an article on all the famous musicians who either born deaf or acquire it still play-I'm planning on figuring out ways to keep playing. My Mom at 90 was deaf still playing the piano. Heck I may improve LOL.

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's a pretty common theme on here for drummers-tinnitus and hearing loss. Then all sort of musculoskeletal issues. So welcome to DW you are in good company. No obstacle to big from what I've seen in limbless drummers and everything in between.

john352050

I have severe hearing loss-so dependent on hearing aids to hear much of anything. I've looked into the cochlear implants but that isn't the magic bullet I'd hoped for. Since mine are fitted to my ears I just turn the volume down and play along to ambient music through speakers. So turn them down to lowest setting (five beeps on mine) then set volume of music so I can hear both music and drums. To my hearing its low volume-loud as hell to everyone else. Since I've read an article on all the famous musicians who either born deaf or acquire it still play-I'm planning on figuring out ways to keep playing. My Mom at 90 was deaf still playing the piano. Heck I may improve LOL.
Right there with ya man, cant live without my hearing aids in...The new ones i have "Audeo Marvels" are insanely good, almost seems like how my old regular hearing used to be! But without my hearing aids in, I cant hear my wife talking right next to me...at all. Really dont want to make my hearing loss worsen, but damn, I want to play drums again! Determined.
I know there are lots of fully deaf drummers out there, but have no clue how they play along with music! I guess they have to use visual aids...hopefully wont ever get to that level.

Just wanna jam along with some TOOL!!!! :)

john352050

It's a pretty common theme on here for drummers-tinnitus and hearing loss. Then all sort of musculoskeletal issues. So welcome to DW you are in good company. No obstacle to big from what I've seen in limbless drummers and everything in between.
Yeah i know its all possible...just got find the right setup. Thanks man!

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Right there with ya man, cant live without my hearing aids in...The new ones i have "Audeo Marvels" are insanely good, almost seems like how my old regular hearing used to be! But without my hearing aids in, I cant hear my wife talking right next to me...at all. Really dont want to make my hearing loss worsen, but damn, I want to play drums again! Determined.
I know there are lots of fully deaf drummers out there, but have no clue how they play along with music! I guess they have to use visual aids...hopefully wont ever get to that level.

Just wanna jam along with some TOOL!!!! :)
Yeah I'm the same-can't hear her standing beside me (which I sometimes intentionally take out my aids LOL). What freaks my wife out is at night asleep-I'll wake her saying "Did you hear that?". She opens her mouth-saying who knows what then rolls over back asleep. Do your aids have the bluetooth for phone and TV-I love that function. The sound quality is so much more "real" than the old analog ones. I don't know how deaf people do it either but my ENT tells me I got progressive loss so likely, in time, will lose more. I just wanna Jam too!!! Rock on.