Calling all "Stick Nerds"-Sound Percussion Sticks-finding their "real" counterparts....

vyacheslav

Calling all "Stick Nerds"-Sound Percussion Sticks-finding their "real" counterparts....

Ok, CSN's (Certified Stick Nerds), I need your help on deciphering something of a mystery.

Sound Percussion is the Guitar Center and Musicians Friend House Brand. They are seconds made by either Vater or Vic Firth (which also includes all Zildjian models, since Vic makes Zildjian sticks and has been for a few years now). You can always tell a Vic made stick (rounded butttt end) vs. a Vater made stick (squared off buttttt end). Buttttt misspelled on purpose in case the filters want to flag it.

Of all the Sound Percussion Models that I have ever seen, they are all made by Vater, except there is one model (7A), that I have seen made by both Vic and Vater. I have only used the "Funk" and the 7A models. I can only assume, based on my research, that the other available models (5A, 5B, 2B & Rock) all follow their Vater counterparts. Now then:

The "Funk" model are always Vater made, but they can be two different Vater models, depending on what you get. Style 1 is the Vater Recording Model (See Photo 1 below-incidentally, the Vater Recording is the exact same stick as the Vic Dave Weckl signature without the burgundy paint). Other times it's Style 2, the Vater Mike Johnston signature model (See Photo 2 below). I wrongly assumed that Style 2 was just the regular 8A until I got my caliper out (yes, I'm that big of a nerd). Style 2 matches the Mike Johnston exactly, which in and of itself, is just a slightly beefier version of the 8A. That was fairly easy to determine. It's easy to tell the two styles apart, because of the different tip shape, and the Recording is 1/4" longer than the Mike Johnston. It's interesting that they would choose someone's signature stick as a "base" model. The 7A is the one that has me stumped. And it's pretty hard to stump me when it comes to sticks.

See Photo 3 below. When the 7A is made by Vater, it is an exact copy of the Vater Manhattan 7A. When it is made by Vic...........I can't figure out what it is!

In photo 3, I have it side by side with a Vic American Sound 8D (same as the American Classic, just with round tips. BTW: The 8D is just a 7A that's a full 16" instead of a 15.5"). I also have it side by side with a Zildjian 6A and Zildjian Super 7A Maple that has no markings on it (they are all 16" in length). It's not the AS 8D, because the 8D has smaller tips. It is very similar to the Super 7A, but the SP is just the slightest bit heavier feeling (maple not withstanding on the Super 7A), and the tips are ever so slightly different on the Super 7A. To me, it looks and feels closest to the Zildjian 6A. With my caliper, it lines up closest to the 6A as well. Here's the weird part:

The Zildjian 6A has been discontinued for about the last year. Also, the Super 7A hickory has also been discontinued, it only comes in maple now. The SP sticks are definitely hickory. According to the time/date stamp printed on the bar code of the cardboard sleeve of the latest SP 7A's I purchased, they were packaged in September 2018, long after both the 6A and the hickory Super 7A were discontinued. Interesting. Since these are Vic seconds, there would be no "firsts" if that model was discontinued. Very strange. Either that or I'm missing something completely obvious.

I would appreciate any guidance/thoughts/opinions you may have.

The final photo (Photo 4) is just for fun. Vic loves to hype up their Modern Jazz Collection as "secret back room models and one off prototypes". Well, I discovered the MJC 5 is nothing more than a nylon tip 8D! Not secret anymore LOL!

Thank you,

V

Attachments

Last edited:

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
!

The final photo (Photo 4) is just for fun. Vic loves to hype up their Modern Jazz Collection as "secret back room models and one off prototypes". Well, I discovered the MJC 5 is nothing more than a nylon tip 8D! Not secret anymore LOL!
It's actually a slightly different tip than the 8DN, which happened to be one of my favorite sticks. Could anyone hear or feel that difference? Probably not, but it's refreshing that the company is taking a leap with a nylon tip stick in a genre that traditionally prefers wood tip.

I also use the AJ5 model for quiet-moderate volume gigs, and it's available as a wood tip only, and suffers from the usual tip chipping and inconsistent ride sound. In fact, I've never broken an AJ5, they always have to be discarded after the tip chips. I asked the company if, as an artist, I could request that model with a nylon tip, and they declined. They're very specific about their specs!

Bermuda

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
Re: Calling all "Stick Nerds"-Sound Percussion Sticks-finding their "real" counterparts....

Wow, god bless my friend but I have never gotten that deep into stick anyalysis.

Give me anything from a 5a to a 2b and I’m fine.

It’s just a stick