Calling All Rogers Experts

Agreed on the spurs not being original. Can't say about the bass drum hoops as I really don't know much about Rogers drums. Not too concerned about that stuff; I'm more into player's kits versus pristine vintage kits with original parts. Just wondering if it's worth my while to pick these up and piece a kit together. Still waiting to hear back from the seller

I had a Big R 5-ply c/w rerings. It had metal hoops on the bass drum. I think they were oem at that time.

Tom mount is correct Rogers Memri-Loc, as is bass drum center tom mount. Straight shells would be Rorgers XP-8 shells. The first all maple drum shell to come out. Certainly worth $200. Heck, you could probably strip all the beaver tail lugs off those drums, and sell them for more.​

I had a beater XP-8 kit, for a while. Great sounding drums.​

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 238
To me they look like the offshore made Rogers. The shell interiors don't look right for all maple XP8.

My Rogers experience is mostly 60s through late Fullerton era.

Yeah,the grain looks funny.

Notice the bag of lugs and bass drum “T”s. Someone upgraded the lugs and tom mounts to the earlier big R set hardware! The offshore sets had metal bass drum hoops!

Yeah I think this is a "Frankenstein" Rogers kit. I would certainly check it out in person but I think the appeal of either the Fullerton Era, Big R, or XP8 era of Rogers are the shells. If you have ever played Cleveland or early Dayton era Rogers you would be hooked.

I just picked up this cool Rogers 12 14 20 in Raleigh on my way back from MCAS Cherry Point.

I think you are single handedly turning me into a vintage gear guy. Your kits are absolutely stunning! Thanks for sharing and for being whoever you are to be able to acquire so many awesome sets, so much fun.

The drums in the OP...…….. are Island Music Rogers produced in 88-91. the name was licensed out to a Taiwan importer. They are not the same quality as Rogers USA.

That being said. 200 is an excellent deal. Hardware, cases, cymbals..... and drums for two bills? You should be able to net a 300.00 profit.

The drums in the OP...…….. are Island Music Rogers produced in 88-91. the name was licensed out to a Taiwan importer. They are not the same quality as Rogers USA.

That being said. 200 is an excellent deal. Hardware, cases, cymbals..... and drums for two bills? You should be able to net a 300.00 profit.

My understanding:
Island Music had the Rogers name starting in 1983 made in China, not until BMMC bought the name in 1998 were they manufactured in Taiwan.

My understanding:
Island Music had the Rogers name starting in 1983 made in China, not until BMMC bought the name in 1998 were they manufactured in Taiwan.

That is incorrect. 1988-91 or so. Then another owner who only made T-shirts. Brooks May came next. Then Yamaha. And now the current owners. The current owners … are good people.

Back