Calling All Mapex Saturn Experts

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Yesterday, I bought two toms and a bass drum that had been expertly painted antique white. All three drums are from different Saturn / Saturn Pro Series. The 16x14 tom has a silver badge that says "Saturn Pro Series." The bass drum has a gold badge that says "Saturn Pro Series." The 12" tom has the new Mapex logo and the new tom bracket. Does anyone know what years these drum were current and if they have different shells? Thanks.

Attachments

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
The bass and floor tom are definitely early-mid 90's. The rack tom is 2014 and up. If the bass drum or the floor tom have walnut on the interior (like the rack tom), than it is newer than any of the drums that might have a light colored maple interior.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Looking through my brochures...

The floor tom would be from the mid-late 90s, with a 7-ply shell with a mahogany core and maple inner and outer plies.

The rack tom (known as the Saturn V) would be from maybe the last 5 years or so(?). I'm not sure when they switched to the new badge/lugs/brackets, but it's been fairly recently. I believe the shell is four outer plies of maple, and two inner plies of walnut.

I'm gonna need to see a better pic of the bass drum badge to know for sure. But it looks to be from either late 90s/early 00s, and would have a 7-ply shell featuring alternating plies of maple and basswood, or it's from 2002 (or a little after), and would have a shell similar to your rack tom. You can tell which it is by the color of the inner ply.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Thanks! I have a Saturn V set also. On the set pictured, the interior of the rack tom is very dark wood. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
Thanks! I have Saturn V set also. On the set pictured, the interior of the rack tom is very dark wood. Peace and goodwill.
What do the interiors of the bass drum and floor tom look like?

Do they look like this:

this:

or this:

cutaway79

Silver Member
Thanks! I have Saturn V set also. On the set pictured, the interior of the rack tom is very dark wood. Peace and goodwill.
If the interior of the bass drum is dark too, that means it's the same construction. If it's lighter colored, it'll be the maple/basswood shell. Do you have a clearer picture of the bass drum badge?

Drumolator

Platinum Member
The interiors of the bass drum and big tom are light, much like the middle picture above. Last night, I played drums at church that are also Saturn Pros with the gold badge, which are the same as the bass drum above. I will try to take a better picture of that badge later today. Thanks for the info. Peace and goodwill.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Going back to the brochures with those new pics, I would say that the bass drum is actually the same shell composition as the floor tom (7-ply shell, mahogany core, with maple inner and outer plies), but perhaps a couple/few years newer.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Here is what Mapex said:

Mark, Good morning. The drum with the rectangular silver badge is a maple/ basswood shell. The one with the gold bade is a maple/ mahogany shell. The one with the square “M” badge is a maple/ walnut shell.

Thanks for all of the help. Peace and goodwill.

cutaway79

Silver Member
Here is what Mapex said:

Mark, Good morning. The drum with the rectangular silver badge is a maple/ basswood shell. The one with the gold bade is a maple/ mahogany shell. The one with the square “M” badge is a maple/ walnut shell.

Thanks for all of the help. Peace and goodwill.
Ah, so close. I was kind of guessing on the floor tom. The oldest catalog I have shows badges like your bass drum on the inside, but the kit on the front cover has badges similar to your floor tom, so I figured maybe it would just be an older version with the same shell composition.

gish

It would be really cool if you could drum up 2 more of those mounts and put that floor tom on legs. Nice gig rig; are leaving your new Saturns home from now on?