Calling all Gretsch experts!

drumhedd

Right-o. I've got a chance to buy a lovely 80's (I think) Gretsch kit in a deep red lacquer, which I believe might be Rosewood. 8, 10, 12 power toms, 14x14 and 16x16 floors, 20x16 kick and a 14x6.5 snare. I borrowed the kit for a recording session and fell in love. She's got stop sign badges, and that, er... "lovely" 80's hardware (tubular through-shell spurs, tubular floor tom legs).

With this information (I'll work on getting some pics or more exact date info), can anyone clue me into the shell layup? I know Gretsch was famous for using Jasper shells in the 80s, correct? This one is definitely made in the USA, has the silver paint in the shells, etc.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The tom shells don't appear to have any mounting brackets,and utilize a Rims suspension mount which is not connected to the shell,so that means they are virgin.

Jaspar shells were made by Jaspar.....NOT Baldwin.

The ply lay up was 6 ply maple/gumwood.A fairly thin and resonant shell.The asking price is a bit high.

Do an Ebay search for completed auctions for stop sign badge Gretsch for current market value.

Steve B

drumhedd

Right, the kit I linked to isn't the one I'm considering, that's just the closest looking kit I could find for sale on the net at the moment. Thanks for the shell info, and Good suggestion on the search, I will do that. Thanks!

drumhedd

When did Gretsch switch from Jasper to straight maple shells? I mistakenly called the badge a stop sign- it's actually a "square badge" as I've seen them called. Didn't they switch the shell layup during this badge era or am I mistaken again?

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The short answer is never.Their maple shell is still 6 ply maple/gumwood.

They claim that they use another species of maple,which is stretch.Sweetgum and other gumwood trees are disiduous and actually look very similar to maple,and are sold as a softer species of that wood buy first harvest sellers.

Gum is close to some species of maple in hardness,with softer maple in the 950 Janka hardness scale and gum at 850 in hardness.

Their shells are now custom made by Keller since Jasper went out of the shell making business.They make great drums but it's something they don't advertise.

They also don't advertise the fact that they havn't made their own shells since the 50's

This in no way is a accusation of dishonesty.it's just the way business is done by most corporations.A little slight of hand and play on words sells product

Steve B.

Artstar

Platinum Member
With this information (I'll work on getting some pics or more exact date info), can anyone clue me into the shell layup? I know Gretsch was famous for using Jasper shells in the 80s, correct? This one is definitely made in the USA, has the silver paint in the shells, etc.

Drumhedd.. go talk with the Pork Pie guy.. He has cut the edges for ALOT of the old Gretsch, and revealed many of those kits are mixed with Keller and Jasper both.. A good way to know is if you check the shells that are still in round.. then it is Keller. LoL..

Go ask him.. He is a member on this site also. Pork Pie Dude

drumhedd

Thanks guys! I'm gonna go take some closer looks at the kit soon, Artstar, I certainly HOPE the shells are in round, lol! Either way, the drums sound great miced up. Strange, I'd never considered myself anywhere near a Gretsch fan, but these drums have some serious mojo.