C&C playerdate I Bebop

Robzildjian

I'm about to pull the trigger on one of these as my small gig kit. Does anyone have any experience and view on these? Thoughts appreciated drumming friends.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I had a C&C.

The C&C was a nice drum kit and beautiful, but it wasn't as versatile as other comparable kits. Tuning range was more limited where you got a really good sound. Toms started sounding very choked at higher tuning and lost musical sound. And would not go as low as others. If I were you I'd sit and play a C&C kit and bring a drum key and try different tunings on bass and toms before spending the money. Better ideas: I think for less money you can get an INDe kit, and for same money you can get a Ludwig Classic Maple or comparable Gretsch. I'd put those three ahead of the C&C.

Gottliver

I just ordered a player date 2, i think its a better choice because of the maple plies. With the full round over edges, it is a bit limited. But if that is the sound you want, it does very very well.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
The Player Date I line has a very specific, vintage sound. They are not meant to be used for a wide variety of styles. I think they were meant to be an alternative to vintage drums, rather than sound like modern drums.

They are not in the same price category, at least based on eBay, as the Classic Maples, so I don't think that is a fair comparison.

I have a 12th & Vine set from C&C and they sound terrific to my ears.

Last edited:

Robzildjian

Thanks all. I went ahead and bought them as I liked the sound and vibe. By the way will it devalue the, to put a rail mount on for the to,? Do c and c do this at the factory? Thanks all.

Gooosseeeyy

I had a C&C.

The C&C was a nice drum kit and beautiful, but it wasn't as versatile as other comparable kits. Tuning range was more limited where you got a really good sound. Toms started sounding very choked at higher tuning and lost musical sound. And would not go as low as others. If I were you I'd sit and play a C&C kit and bring a drum key and try different tunings on bass and toms before spending the money. Better ideas: I think for less money you can get an INDe kit, and for same money you can get a Ludwig Classic Maple or comparable Gretsch. I'd put those three ahead of the C&C.
^^^ This is everything.

I went into a drum shop wanting to purchase a canopus neovintage bebop kit and i was ready to order it but once we got to the counter i realized he was telling me prices in USD(I'm in Canada) so that kind of messed everything up. He told me about the C&C Gladstone series and was talking it up a lot and i dont know why i listened and went off and ordered a gladstone in 18/12/14/14x5x5.

When I got the kit as soon as you try to tune it up it loses all of its body, chokes up and is extremely thin sounding. From what i've seen with my week with the kit is that the hardware is very cheap and they focus more on the "Vintage look" than the actual sound of the drums. IF you are going to keep the drums in a low tuning then they will be great for you. But if you want a versatile shell then look elsewhere.

After 4 months they finally gave me a store credit for my purchase and i just ordered a Craviotto maple 3 piece kit.

Robzildjian

I played the the kit out in a small venue with my wfl snare and k zildjians. Playing classic rock not too loud. The kit sounded fantastic and received lots of compliments. I’m very impressed actually for this type of situation. Thanks for all of the advice.

Groov-E

Silver Member
To me, the C&C are some of the better built kit at the moment.

I had a PD2 (20-12-14) which I sold due to lack of storage space. I miss it sometimes as it was light and great for lower volume settings, but I refuse to live in regret.

They were a bit limited volume-wise and would not compete with cranked-up Marshalls in a sound-pi**ing contest, but this is not what they are built for with their rounded edges. Miked up they souded great.

If I ever buy a smaller bop kit it would probably be a more modern kit as I feel it is easier to kill a more cutting drum with sharper edges when needed (double-ply heads, external muffling, ring cut out of an older head, etc.) than to try to get a more cutting sound out of drums that were not built for that purpose.

I absolutely see the interest in more vintage-built drums though, don't get me wrong. It is simply a question of getting the right tools for the job and keep one's expectation in check, as you can't get the cut and projection of a Starclassic B/B out of a vintage kit, and vice versa don't expect a BB to have the rounder tone of a roundover.