C&C and or George Way

someguy01

This thread has a few posts that reference Catalina. Is this an implication that C&C is nothing but a rebadged Catalina? I find it very confusing.
For the record, I wouldn't wait a year for any set of drums. Don't care who makes them.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
This thread has a few posts that reference Catalina. Is this an implication that C&C is nothing but a rebadged Catalina? I find it very confusing.
For the record, I wouldn't wait a year for any set of drums. Don't care who makes them.

I think the implication is that George Way drums are similar to Catalinas since the shells are made in Asia. C&C makes all of their shells in the US.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
I think the implication is that George Way drums are similar to Catalinas since the shells are made in Asia. C&C makes all of their shells in the US.
That yes.

Or similar to Gretsch Renown, or Mapex Saturn, or Sonor AQ Series.

C&C is totally 100% USA. Like I said before, the person you talk to on phone at C&C is likely the one who is gonna make your shells or finish them or package them. George Way ain't that.

Rattlin' Bones

Gold Member
Not a big fan of drum decorators who co-opt a vintage entity's lineage and then contract it out overseas before adorning the finished product with a badge that reads Vancouver. An old fault of mine called principle I've been unable to shake.
Exactly. Buy the old name and market them like they are the real deal.

Certain investors have done that with bicycles - bought the names like Motobecane and others, build cheap frames in Asia, and market as if there is some connection to the original marque.

opentune

Platinum Member
Yeah, please explain to me why someone should wait that long for a set of drums that are mass produced (in terms of the Asian plant where they are formed.)

I can't explain to you because I never once said anybody should wait for any drums from anybody. Not sure where you got that from.
My post was a reply that a GW is not a Catalina, and by implication not all 'made in Asia' drums are a Catalina either. Nothing against a Catalina, I've owned one and loved it.

Last edited:

Chunkaway

Silver Member
I can't explain to you because I never once said anybody should wait for any drums from anybody. Not sure where you got that from.
My post was a reply that a GW is not a Catalina, and by implication not all 'made in Asia' drums are a Catalina either. Nothing against a Catalina, I've owned one and loved it.

Okay, fine. His attention to detail is not worth the time it takes to get his drums.

I have actually read several very positive reviews of Catalinas. I have owned a set and while they were not ones I kept, they certainly were functional.

Chunkaway

Silver Member
Two to four months from the time ordered to the time received. And that’s regardless of wood species or custom orders.

And there’s some pretty nice attention to detail. Oh, and you can call them and get a response.930A241B-A115-4ACB-B2CC-F8CF86409370.jpeg

wraub

Exactly. Buy the old name and market them like they are the real deal.

Certain investors have done that with bicycles - bought the names like Motobecane and others, build cheap frames in Asia, and market as if there is some connection to the original marque.
See also KLH speakers. Once a respected brand making good stuff, now, licensed and not so much.
I'm of the opinion that licensing deals, by definition, almost always produce lesser product.

Last edited: