Buying Musical Equipment: New or Used?

I tend to buy new, unless I'm really short on money and I find a good deal it's hard to pass up. Only bought a used drumkit once out of maybe 25 kits since I started out. Not very economical, but it's just something about a new kit to me... Assembling it, new unscratched finish, the smell of the new wooden shell interior :p . I'm not into vintage gear, so that might be part of it too. If I were to buy a beater kit I would probably look used though. I have bought some cymbals and snares used, but it's more the exception then a rule...

I have no issues buying either just as long as it’s something that I want, is in good shape, and is a good price.

My first ever big boy purchase aged 15, was an Export that was new, but on the floor, just started tearing down/loading in vehicle.
Felt all eyes on me and I was on top of the world, heading back to replace my CB700 bought at garage sale, that I had coveted before.

My second new Pearl kit came in boxes - that was fun.

I have mostly bought new, but I have a bought a fair amount of musical gear used. The most recent was a Peavey amp/mixer, which sounds great, but not all of the inputs work. I mostly use it as a monitor amp, which needs only one input to work. I have also bought used drums and cymbals. Sabian SR2's are used, and I have five of those. Peace and goodwill.

I've bought and sold used gear on CL and Reverb. There's a protocol for ensuring you don't buy junk. Reverb is better in some ways since the marketplace might offer more protection than private CL sales.

Buying used electronics is hard to justify unless you can plug the thing in yourself and run it through it's paces to test it. CL is actually okay in this regard. Years ago I sold several pieces of acoustic recording equipment on CL. The buyers simply asked that we meet somewhere public where there was access to an electrical outlet. No problem. So I made several trips to the local Starbucks to give the buyers peace of mind.

If there are used cymbals for sale with good photos I will occasionally buy them sight-unheard, so to speak. Looking carefully for keyholes and bites. You can tell much about a cymbal from clear photos.
Also as a jazz leaning fusion player buying jazz and fusion cymbals, I don't worry too much about my used cymbals being played too hard or too long before they get to me. In fact buying a big used jazz ride that's already 'played in' a little, sounds kinda fresh.
I've never bought a used crash..maybe I'd draw the line at a crash cymbal. But maybe not, if you are a drummer on a budget, you can get your forever cymbals at much less expense with some thoughtful second-hand shopping.

To me used is even better. Something about broken in kits that just have more love in the tone. I get them home..take them all apart and show them more love and attention than they've ever known with cleaning... buffing....and maybe a hug. Then they show me what was never possible with their neglectful owner..the one who orphaned them. I let them know their mine and that they are loved. That translates into a personal sound between you and your kit. ❤.

The overwhelming majority of my gear was acquired second hand: All my drum kits, all but three snares, about 25 microphones, half of my outboard recording gear, my computers/screens/speakers, all my amps except the one I built, all my guitars except for one...

Cymbals I have to audition first, and the same goes for guitars. Recording gear has been pretty reliable so far, but it's not a flawless track record.

Sometimes it's driven by budget concerns, other times they just straight-up don't make the product I'm after anymore. And every once in a while it's just a deal that's too good to pass up. Deals come easier when it's used gear we're talking about.

Absolutely. I've probably purchased more used gear then new over the years.

All three if my current acoustic sets as well as my e-drums were purchased used.
As for cymbals, it's about 50/50 used vs new.
My current hardware setup I got all new but I have purchased a lot of used hardware over the years.

Any Bay Area people will recognize The Starving Musician in San Jose (formerly Santa Clara) . All used gear, great store.

Any Bay Area people will recognize The Starving Musician in San Jose (formerly Santa Clara) . All used gear, great store.

That's where I got my DW edge from last month. I love that place when I'm able to make it down there. I've bought 3 snares from them over the years.

Most of my drums were used when I got them (my kit, 4 of my 5 snares, and all my cymbals except a ride, one set of hats, a splash, and a wuhan).

I like purchasing new. Especially when the used prices are barely discounted. I wanted a Paiste Blue Bell and the used prices were only 5 - 15% off brand new price. I just bought it new. I will buy used if it’s the only way I can obtain it or it’s a really good deal. I have nothing against people that only buy used. It’s being smart with money. I just like the peace of mind and satisfaction of getting exactly what I want with (usually) no surprises.

The drums and cymbals I have bought have all been second hand. Sometimes from friends but mostly from online listings. Due to times of hardship I have built up a recycler mentality that is hard to shake

I would like to buy a new kit some day to support the manufacturers. I try and get sticks, heads, percussion etc from local music shops. This is quite tricky as there aren't any good ones for miles

Supporting local business means a lot but I've been a bit spoiled by the myriad of choice the internet has unleashed

"Used", here. That's where the value is. 1987 Steinberger SP3= $140. 2021 Les Paul Studio w/orig gig bag and literature WITH a Fender Strat in hs case = $928. 1979 Gibson "The Paul" w ohsc = $218. 1987 Moon Bass = $599+ tax. Local player offered me 1600 for that.

I tend to buy new these days although 3 of my snares are used. Cymbals were all new except for my Zanki hi-hat bottom…on the look out for a used Prem Gen X 24x18 bass drum but they’re like rocking horse :poop::unsure:

Looking back 95% of my gear was new. I had some Ludwig kits used and I lucked into a retiring drummer's own personal cymbal collection that is still the major percentage of my A set of bronze. I got a 67 Acro used. I thought it was a dog. All the Ludwigs and the Acro are long gone. So I'm left with no used drums, just all 4 of the custom kits I ordered. DW, Eames, 2 Guru kits. Used cymbals, I do have 5. Seems backwards with used cymbals and no used drums..

Last edited:
Mostly used, though more cymbals are new. Overall, my luck and bargains have been very good and will generally buy cymbals in person whenever possible unless a steal.

There is a risk in used, I tend to run away when the head marks on a drum are all over the place...no telling how many inadvertent stick hits to the bearing edge were done. And hairline cracks in cymbals are not always obvious. Or temperature storage of used gear...who really knows so reputable owners are always preferred.

But some of the 'new' gear shared here with significant issues for pricy high-end lines...yikes, no guarantee in anything.

Back