Buying used is great except when you can't

Soupy

Silver Member
Buy used is the standard response to every what drums/cymbals should I buy. Well, I've been trolling eBay and craigslist and can't find anything I want. Looking for something like a nice Mapex Saturn or Ludwig Classic or Tama Starclassic or even Taye Maples or something.

Just not a lot out there. Ebay is flooded with businesses selling new, or fools overpricing their crap. Craigslist is nothing but Sound Percussion and Exports and stuff that's not an upgrade over my current Exports.

Very frustrating.

I feel your pain. CL is pretty much the same near me too. However, I have scored some good deals on eBay. You just have to be patient and keep looking for that great deal.

In the meantime, just keep saving your money for that kit you realy like. You could even make sort of a game out of it.... Every time someone posts a "something vs something" thread, put $20 in your piggy bank. For every "double bass pedal" thread, $40. Or better yet, every time Bo Eder mentions the attributes of the Sonor Safari (a fine little kit, BTW), put $1 in. You'll have your kit paid for in no time.

I know what you mean, I was looking and looking for a used double bass set and all I could find was a HB 12 piece kit, not to bad but not to good either. I passed and finally found a PDP double bass at GC new but a great price, so just be patient, it seems the right set sometimes finds you.

Buy used is the standard response to every what drums/cymbals should I buy. Well, I've been trolling eBay and craigslist and can't find anything I want. Looking for something like a nice Mapex Saturn or Ludwig Classic or Tama Starclassic or even Taye Maples or something.

What we don't say when we say "buy used" is "be prepared to wait". I see PLENTY of Starclassics and Ludwig Classics on CL, but have only seen one Mapex Saturn, and never seen a Taye Maple. Most people who have *really* nice kits either keep them or have a dozen or so friends nipping at their heels when they decide to sell their kits. Keep looking, if saving a bunch of money is worth waiting around for. If not, then by all means: buy new.

Craigslist here in Southern CA has a ton of kits for sale between L.A. and S.D. I'm not sure where your at... Guitar Center also carries used gear, the searches I've done from the GC website was widley spread accross the nation if that helps any.

Timing is everything... Good luck.

Yeah...check out guitar center used gear...tons of stuff at sometimes great prices and they consider offers.There is a part of their site that lists ALL stores used gear.There are also lots of drum forums on the web with gear for sale by members,for good prices.You got to get into the trenches sometimes and devote some computer time to your persuit.Ebay and CL are NOT the be all end all.You will score a deal ,just be patient and carefully consider how much you REALLY want to pay.It is a buyers market.Good luck.

Steve B

Buying used is very much like the spider waiting to catch the moth ... lots of waiting and watching, plus being ready when the moment hits.

Yes GC is a great source too often neglected ... http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm

As an example just last month using the GC used gear listings I scored a nice set of cymbals that came from three different stores.

Paiste 22" 404 ride for 44.95, one of my all time favorite rides and tuff to find these days
Paiste 16" prototype (turned out to be essentially a 2oo2 very-thin/paper-thin) an amazing cymbal as new for 32.00
And finally a perfect pair of Paiste 15" Giant Beat hats at 59.99 for the set.

All shipped direct to my door ... I check their site about twice a day

+1 on those Paiste's.The 404 series is one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world.Cheap and really great sounding cymbals.

Steve B

+1 on those Paiste's.The 404 series is one of the best kept secrets in the drumming world.Cheap and really great sounding cymbals.

Steve B

+2 on Paiste 404s. I had the 20" ride and 14" hats. They were especially mellow and pleasant-sounding. I shouldn't have gotten rid of them, 'cause now they're hard to find...

Back