Buying time! Well, very soon in any case, but these decisions are driving me CRAZY!

jondrumming

Okay so buying time is almost here, and I have revamped my views on purchasing. Not size-wise, but more quality-wise. I've narrowed it down to the following options:

Tama Starclassic B/B
Pearl Masters MCX
Mapex Saturn

The configuration I am pretty much set on is

8x7
10x8
12x9
14x14
16x16
22x20
14x5.5

Shallower sizes would also be okay, i.e. 10x7, 12x8, 22x18

There are some things about each series that are kind of a turn off:

Starclassics: Non-virgin kick, can't remove the tom mount, and only available in 4-piece shell packs, so i would have to buy add-ons afterwards

Masters: Don't like the Pearl tom arms, although the Masters do come in a 7-piece shell pack

Saturns: Apparently they're overpriced now, and the mounting system looks kinda weird, although this isnt really a huge issue

So what are your views? Which would be the most "pro" for the money?
I'm looking at around $1500 as minimum, $2500 maximum (for the drums only)

As for cymbals and hardware:

Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Hi Hats 14 1/4"
Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash 17"
Zildjian K Custom Hybrid Crash 18"
Zildjian A Custom ReZo Ride 21"

Tama Iron Cobra Powerglide Double Pedal
Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide Double Pedal
Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne

And for a snare, I'm looking at either a Mapex Black Panther Mayan or a Tama Warlord, depending on how much the shell pack is, and if it comes with a snare or not.

Re: Buying time! Well, very soon in any case, but these decisions are driving me CRAZ

What about a Tama Starclassic maple? I've seen a couple of 6-piece shell packs (10/12/14/16/22/14) for sale on craigslist for around $1500 with cases. You'd only have to buy the 8" tom then, and you'd have yourself a kit that sounds better than the B/B...

Re: Buying time! Well, very soon in any case, but these decisions are driving me CRAZ

What about a Tama Starclassic maple? I've seen a couple of 6-piece shell packs (10/12/14/16/22/14) for sale on craigslist for around $1500 with cases. You'd only have to buy the 8" tom then, and you'd have yourself a kit that sounds better than the B/B...

I'm in Toronto, the only Starclassics in my price range on my craigslist are a 5-piece B/B for $1800

I'm in Toronto, the only Starclassics in my price range on my craigslist are a 5-piece B/B for $1800
its really a fight between the saturn and the starclassic, they are both great but i would go tama

If the Pearl tom arms are the only thing holding you back on the Masters, I'll put in a good word for them. Although they may not be as quick to set up as ball-joint type arms, imo, when mounted off the kick, I feel as though they are just as flexible as the ball-joint.

Once you've got them where you want them, set the memory locks and you're good to go. Although ball-joints have come a long way over the years, and I know some folks have never had a problem, I still don't trust them in the long run. The mount on my old RockstarDX kit is pretty much pooched due to the balls becoming brittle and cracking, they don't hold tight anymore.

I don't think Pearl has changed the design of these arms too much over the years, 'cause they found something that worked and could stand the test of time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

its really a fight between the saturn and the starclassic, they are both great but i would go tama

I wouldn't dismiss the pearls that quickly. For me it'd have to be a toss up between the starclassic performers and the pearl masters. I'd probably go with pearl though. I'm glad you're looking at something a bit more "upmarket" now lol.

I would personally go for the Tama Starclassic B/B. It just so happens that I prefer the sound of birch over maple whereas some people don't. I have the Starclassic Performer all birch and I couldn't be happier. The bubinga will pull out some nice rich lows in addition. If you are buying a kit that is in the price range of the ones you listed, you would be doing yourself a disservice to not actually try them all out. The reason I went for the kit that I did was because I got to record on one in a top-notch studio and it came out sounding exactly the way I wanted. Everybody is going to have a different take on which way to go.

I wouldn't get caught up over the hardware issue though.. there are usually ways to get around hardware that you're not fond of. The sound of the drum, however, isn't going to change so I believe it is more important to get the drum you want.

+1 on the Tama B/B. They sound great and are way versatile drums

i'm not a fan of Pearl's, don't think they really compare to the Saturn's or B/B's...

the Saturns sound incredible, have played several kits in showrooms and one in a studio, the harware is solid and i've heard they are actually getting cheaper (?)...

the B/B's are also an amazing sounding drum kit, the snares are especially fantastic, i could only imagine where quality heads and tuning would take these beauties...

for me it would be a question of the availble sizes and comfort level with the hardware, because both the Mapex and Tama kits come with some incredible finishes...

good luck and don't stress - remember you're getting a brand new drum kit - this is the fun part!

Back