Buying on Craigslist/Ebay

k3ng

Silver Member
Suppose there's a thread out there somewhere, but don't think it addresses my question.

I'm looking for a kit (look in the Classifieds thread if you think you can help me out)

and I'm considering buying online too.
Just before I dive head in to it, any warnings/things I should know about buying on Craigslist? Things to look into? What to trust or not trust?

Anyone bought anything great/crap on Craigslist?

Thanks.

Just before I dive head in to it, any warnings/things I should know about buying on Craigslist? Things to look into? What to trust or not trust?

Thanks.

Just be very wary of scammers. If anyone seems too much in a rush and keeps pressuring you to make a deal with them, it may be a scam.

I bought a great vintage ludwig off Ebay recently. Unfortunately it can always be a bit of a risk if you can't personally see and play them beforehand. Although it was a risk worth taking in my case (fortunately).

I just quizzed him on the roundness of the shells and bearing edges, etc. all the stuff you can't necessarily make out from pictures. Also make sure they take a photo of any damage/scratches (if any).

Suppose there's a thread out there somewhere, but don't think it addresses my question.

I'm looking for a kit (look in the Classifieds thread if you think you can help me out)

and I'm considering buying online too.

Anyone bought anything great/crap on Craigslist?

Thanks.

This has to do with ebay. A while back this Pearl Master Custom set kept showing up. It was always the same pictures. I finally messaged the then current seller asking what the deal was with this kit that kept showing up. The person had no idea of what I was talking about. Turns out, according to ebay, that through Trojan Horse programs or whatever, people can steal the necessary information that allows them to put items up on ebay under another sellers ID. What they do though is list another email address in the write up to contact them through rather then through ebay messaging and ask for cash only. It's theft and fraud and one of the reasons ebay demands that all transactions be done through there web site.

The story from the fraudulant seller was he had sold his business and was moving to Europe and the drum kit was a thorn in his side since he couldn't take it with him and it was holding him up from leaving. He was asking a buy now price of like $750 for a kit that would sell for 15k at GC. There are sometimes unbelieveable deals, but usually if the deal is too good to be true, it probably is.

Craigslist is different. It seems to be all local so you can get to see what it is your buying and can look the seller in the eye.

Craigslist is different. It seems to be all local so you can get to see what it is your buying and can look the seller in the eye.

Not true, anyone from anyplace can post an ad on any Craigslist forum, or reply to one.

It is best to agree to meet in person, and if the buyer/seller doesn't want to do that, then there is a reason.

I think that's what Donv meant by looking them in the eyes. You would need to meet in person to do that. And I agree. EBay if it's not local you are relying on pictures and descriptions whereas with Craiglist in you own neck of the woods you can scope out the neighborhood and know where you are going. You get to handle the goods, bang on things, hear and see for yourself what you are interested in. Leave your cash in the locked car until the deal is agreed upon and then make the payment. Doesn't hurt to be safe. I bought my never-played Renowns from Craigslist for 650.00 so the deals do come along if you are patient.

Just my preference here....I was sorely burned on a cocktail kit from ebay. I did receive the kit and it was supposed to be custom made. It turned out to be poorly made to say the least. I am still wrangling with paypal, and the drum builder seems to have gone out of business.

So long story short...I don't think I'll buy another instrument again that I can't see and play first. I have bought and sold alot of stuff from craigslist and each time I was able to meet the seller or the buyer and see/touch/check out the item I'm interested in.

From what I recall, you are at MI in hollywood right now. Being in LA you should use craigslist because there is plenty of inventory and you can just go pay cash and carry them off.

Craigslist is best used if you only buy stuff that is in your general area. You go and meet in person and pay cash. It is the idiots that email me from 10 states away that want you to ship it and use the worst company in the world, PAYPAL!

From what I recall, you are at MI in hollywood right now. Being in LA you should use craigslist because there is plenty of inventory and you can just go pay cash and carry them off.

Problem is I don't have a car to transport em, so I'll have to carry em by hand haha.

Strangely though, I expected to find alot more used kits than what I've been seeing so far.

I'd recommend buying from Craigslist in person unless you have a good amount of experience on eBay. There are good deals but every so often they're too good, and experience will let you spot those.

I personally bought all of my new hardware on eBay, along with a pair of hihats, china, splash cymbals. I bought my ride in person off of Craigslist.

I'd only recommend against buying wood snares or drumsets online when you can't see it in person first. Wood just has too many factors that can surprise you. Dented metal can be banged back into position, rotting wood can't be fixed.

So far I have been very fortunate on eBay buying musical gear. I purchased two Yamaha kits, heads, sticks, a nice Epiphone Masterbuilt guitar and they all arrived very well packaged. There are concerns of course I.e, damaged during shipment, are the items in the condition as advertised, buying without playing them etc

On eBay use PayPal, make sure the seller has a very high rating and see what other buyers had to say about their transaction with the seller. Email the seller and see about getting more current pictures sent to your email address, ask him/her questions about the item and pick their brains.

I went to a Guitar Center and played the Yamaha Oaks and the Yamaha Absolutes so I knew that I liked the drums so I took a chance and won the bids.

New Oak Customs would have cost me around $1600.00 and that's for a shell pack (5 drums no hardware)
eBay 6 drums, snare stand, boom cymbal stand and all mounting hardware. Drums were in like new condition. I won the drums and that included the shipping too!
New Yamaha Absolutes I got a four piece kit new from a drummer who was selling off some of his kits because he needed the money. For $1600 I won the kit, and that included Humes & Berg hard cases, two of the drums were still in the plastic bags, again the shipping price is included in the total cost here.

Know what you want and do the research and you can score a great deal out there, lots of people take up instruments and then decide they don't want them anymore.

I do a lot of eBay and Craigslist.

For eBay, always use PayPal. If the person turns out to be a fraud, they can get you your money back pretty easily. Ask for anything wrong or out of the ordinary with the product, and be wary of sellers without return policies.

For Craigslist, always deal local and meet in person at neutral location (McDonalds parking lot for instance) if you have bad vibes. Never send money to anyone because there is no consumer protection. If someone takes your money.. your money is gone forever, unlike with eBay.

Back