Buying my first vintage kit.

The Scorpio

Hello all. My local music store has for sale a 1965 Ludwig Champagne Sparkle drum kit. 12" rack tom, 14" floor tom, and a 20" kick drum. There's also a brass Pearl piccolo snare thrown in the mix but I really do not care about that one at all. From a quick look around on the internet, I'm assuming the Luddy's are downbeats. The shells and the wrap are in great shape and I'd love to have these drums.

Here's the problem:

The store is asking $3000.00 dollars for this kit, and to me that seems ludicrous. Similar kits online have been going for around $1500.00.

Is this kit overpriced?

Thanks!

-Kyle

I got a 66 Ludwig Hollywood set, champagne, 22, 12, 13, 16 for 1199.00 shipped. Way over priced.

WAYYYYYY overpriced.

For a reference, Downbeats and Super Classics sell for about $1500 and $1200, respectively, in music stores around here. They sit for a few months/years, but they sell eventually. On craigslist, they sell for about $500-$700 cheaper, and sit just as long.

I'm checking in with "insanely overpriced", unless they were owned and gigged by a favorite drummer of yours from the sixties. But still.....

Dennis

Thanks for the confirmation guys. $3000 sure didn't sound right, but as I'm a newbie at this I just wanted to make sure.

I went back and checked out the kit some more, and the store is marketing it as the "same model used by Ringo Starr." I checked into that claim a bit, and as far as I can tell the sizes (and possibly the model) are the same as what Ringo used, but obviously the finish is different, and it does not have the matching snare or the original bass drum hoops.

But that still doesn't seem to warrant paying double market price.

Larryz, I checked out the other vintage kit, and it looks like the kit has been sold. Thanks for the solid tip though!

I suppose the best thing to do would be to gather some solid evidence (internet listings, and listings from other stores.) Then take the info to the store in question and negotiate a reasonable price for the kit. Hopefully I'll be able to post some pic's of that beautiful kit in my living room very soon!

Thanks again, guys.

I checked into that claim a bit, and as far as I can tell the sizes (and possibly the model) are the same as what Ringo used,
Ringo had a few kits, while he was with the beatles http://ringosbeatlekits.com/ so people have room to fudge with the claim "this is the kinda kit Ringo played". I like the thermogloss kit the best.​
and it does not have the matching snare or the original bass drum hoops.
And for that kinda cash, this kit should come with the original boxes.​

Back