Buying an Electronic Kit

Stixnergard2

Hey Gang,
I have been playing acoustic kit for many years and now have a need for an electronic kit. The purpose of the electronic kit is mainly to play quiet at a summer cottage I own. Currently, I have a Roland TD-6 on loan from a fellow band member I’m having fun with but of course it lacks in many ways. I started doing my research on the web and visited my local GC to demo what they had. I played a Roland TD-11K, Roland TD-15K, and Yamaha DTX522. All the kits had their pros and cons. The TD-11 wasn’t much more than the TD-6 I have on loan, the TD-15K felt decent and moving up to a TD-15KV is an option although I didn’t like the cross sticking manual setting and the entire rim being active with cross stick. The Yamaha DTX522 actually was surprising, it felt and sounded close to a real acoustic kit. The Yamaha kit had proper cross sticking so the snare felt real. I’m still on the fence regarding the textured silicone pads on the Yamaha but really liked the cymbals. I have concluded I need to step up the level to a kit with a free standing hihat, etc.
Currently, I’m looking at the following kits:
Roland TD-15KV
Roland TD-30K
Roland TD-15-30 from RMC Audio
Yamaha DTX790
Yamaha DTX900
As far as goals, I want the kit to feel and play like an acoustic kit as much as possible, normal cross stick, 3 zone ride, 2 crashes, etc. I can swing the TD-30K, but the module is kind of an overkill for what I’m doing although I’m sure it would be a great kit. Unfortunately, there is no opportunity to try the kits I’m considering; only the kits I tried at GC. I know Roland is the big player and there are deals out there, but I’m also a Yamaha fan and looking hard at the DTX790 and DTX900. Any advice would be appreciated.

I can only add that having nearly bought the TD15KV and then changed my mind to get the TD30K that the snare feels quite different on the TD30K. I'd only ever played acoustic kits before (and marching snare) and also not for a long time, but the '30 seems to be close enough for my needs.

I now occasionally play an acoustic kit at band rehearsal and it doesn't feel too different after practising on the TD30K. The positional sensing on the TD30K snare allows me to practice getting different tones out of the snare through technique which the '15 didn't seem to have.

I've not tried any of the Yamaha kits though so I can't say how they compare.

I just posted on another forum. Just settled on the DTX790K. I am coming back to drumming after a HUGE layoff. I was strictly acoustic jazz/rock.

DTX 790K: I demoed the 750K

DTX heads are great. Very realistic feedback
3 zones on Toms and Cymblas
Fade option on each pad
Sensitivity adjustable
The 790 also gives you bigger heads 12/snare 10/toms

I was in the same boat looking at the 562k but it felt a bit to small for me.

The Rolands I tried were great but thought the heads had too much bounce and the sound was not as good as the Yamaha. That is just my opinion though.

Fauxbeat,
Thanks for the feedback regarding the DTX790 as I'm considering one as an option. A DTX 900 series is getting up there in cost and has more features than I really need. As mentioned, my priority is for the kit to feel and sound like an acoustic kit. The pads on the 790 will accomplish my goals and I'm sure the 700 module will be plenty.

You might consider looking for a used TD-20 module and then picking up the tom and cymbal triggers you prefer. Nothing wrong with a mix-and-match. I bring up the TD-20 because prior to the TD-30, it was the top of the line. To me, the 30 looks like a warmed over 20 but a number of people who have to have the latest greatest have/will sell off their 20 to get a 30. I've seen used expanded 20s for $1k. I've used an expanded 20 for several years and have no serious complaints (I wish it had more inputs but the 30 is just the same).

In general I've had very good luck with Roland gear but I find it to be very pricey. For example, the street price of the Yamaha cymbals is almost half that of the Roland.

As someone who uses a TD-30 and has used it in tandem with a TDW-20 expanded module, I will say the TD-30 is vastly better sounding than the TD-20. The upgrade is far more significant than what a spec sheet may say.

That said, if I didn't know what a TD-30 sounded or played like, I'm sure I would be happy with a TD-20 module.

Edit: I also have a 2Box module and have not run it through its paces enough to see if it is as good as people say it is. I can say that the VST's sound nice, but even if you tweak the sounds the slightest bit, it sounds like an over-processed mess. So for sound you still get a processed mess, but now you have less flexibility in your tuning, and a far more rudimentary brain that requires you to use software on a computer to tweak the sounds instead of doing it right there at the kit. Needless to say, I'm not sold on 2Box as the second coming of Christ as many others have said. Again, I haven't given it enough time, but so far, I like my TD-30 module better.

I was quoted a great price through RMC Audio on a Roland TD-30K so I placed the order. Looking forward to the delivery early next week.

I was quoted a great price through RMC Audio on a Roland TD-30K so I placed the order. Looking forward to the delivery early next week.

I ordered the kit Wed. and Fed Ex delivered it today, Fri. Great service by RMC. I unpacked the rack and will start setting up the kit this weekend.

Awesome...

....please follow up with your impressions and the whole experience.

I have had the TD-30K kit for a few weeks and it's worth the price, especially with the deal through RMC Audio. The module is amazing and very user friendly. The kit feels natural and after a while you forget you are playing an E kit. I have no regrets going with Roland but I think Yamaha probably has the edge with their 3 zone pads and cymbals, although the TD-30 module is nicer than the DTX 900 module. Lots of fun for sure!

I just posted on another forum. Just settled on the DTX790K. I am coming back to drumming after a HUGE layoff. I was strictly acoustic jazz/rock.

DTX 790K: I demoed the 750K

DTX heads are great. Very realistic feedback
3 zones on Toms and Cymblas
Fade option on each pad
Sensitivity adjustable
The 790 also gives you bigger heads 12/snare 10/toms

I was in the same boat looking at the 562k but it felt a bit to small for me.

The Rolands I tried were great but thought the heads had too much bounce and the sound was not as good as the Yamaha. That is just my opinion though.

Great choice and I agree that the Roland mesh heads have entirely to much bounce. The TCS pads just feel right to me. Have fun with your kit.. You've got a nice one there.

Also bought a roland hybrid td30 set with td15 module from rmc audio. Great price great customer service - can't recommend them enough to others - give a call before buying elsewhere

I love my Rolands (old TD-12), owned them for over seven years now and have never changed a head or broken /replaced anything. And of course the heads tension can be adjusted to take away that "bouncy" feel that I've read complains about.

Also bought a roland hybrid td30 set with td15 module from rmc audio. Great price great customer service - can't recommend them enough to others - give a call before buying elsewhere

The hybrid kit you bought was a kit I was considering too. Certainly a nice cost saving alternative. Have fun with them!

I'm loving the kit, bought for a quiet drum experience at a summer home I own. Having so much fun with it at my primary residence my acoustic kits are collecting dust. Just added a CY-12C/MDY-12 cymbal and mount combo from RMC Audio to finish off the kit and empty my bank account.

Finally have a few pictures to post, having a blast with this kit!

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 1,048
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,064
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 1,143
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    105 KB · Views: 1,149
They're great aren't they? I like your extra cymbal mounted in the middle of the rack. I might have to add one eventually myself, or at least move the 'crash 2' one on to a mount like yours.

Back