Buying a used kit online from GC

charliedrummer

There's a used Ludwig kit in the Chicago GC store that I'm looking at. Although the price isn't bad, it's about $100-$200 more than I think the kit should go for used, especially when you have to figure in shipping costs. From your experience, are these online prices in any way negotiable or is it strictly "take it or leave it" at the price listed? I'm always leery about buying a kit online, especially one that's used. Have most people had decent luck doing so through GC online for a used kit?

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The best thing to do would be to call the store and talk to them.
If you don't speak to someone who can answer your questions and perhaps send you more pics and info about the kit and work with you then you should walk away.
GC has some good deals on used gear so feel them out.
If you are not comfortable with the deal then don't do it.

pcastag

In my expereience there's not much negotiation, but kits that sit often go through many price drops. There's a sonor champion I was looking at four pieces that has gone from 400 to ike 230 something, even with shipping I could get it for about three hundred. you could call and see what they say, but if it isits keep an eye on it , the price will drop. Somethimes that have some really cheap stuff, got a phonic plus snare for like 250, they usually sell for 400-450.

alvanko

I've sent an e-mail to GC with an offer and they have accepted my offer. (I didn't buy it).
They will listen to offers and many times accept the offers, just be reasonable.

MN02

There's a used Ludwig kit in the Chicago GC store that I'm looking at. Although the price isn't bad, it's about $100-$200 more than I think the kit should go for used, especially when you have to figure in shipping costs. From your experience, are these online prices in any way negotiable or is it strictly "take it or leave it" at the price listed? I'm always leery about buying a kit online, especially one that's used. Have most people had decent luck doing so through GC online for a used kit?
I always call and ask very specific questions about the item's condition. They don't refund shipping if it isn't what you want. I have had good luck with cymbals, but sometimes, their opinion of "great" condition can include some pretty nasty gouges or scratches. As for negotiating, it has been hit and miss. I try and get someone on the phone and at the store and make an offer with the caveat that I am ready to pull the trigger on the phone. IN store, even if they won't lower the prive, I have had good success getting them to throw in new heads.

<(' . '<)

I believe GC ships kits to a local store for free, they did it for a kit I got, don't know if they still do it. I'd say talk to the drum department at your local one and see what they say.

charliedrummer

Thanks for all of your input. I'm going to contact the store directly to see what's up with this particular kit. I got burned a few years ago when I bought a "store demo" kit through the mail. I was told that the only signs of wear and tear were a few stick marks on the heads. The kit arrived with major scratches and even a few gouges in the finish. Luckily I got my money back but I'm a bit gun shy about going through this again.

tamadrm

Platinum Member
The truth is..if you're looking at used kits,and if you have a critical eye,you may never be satisfied.Although some kits just sit in a basement,they will still get some damage at one time or another.

If a set was giged,then damage is almost unavoidable in most cases.I don't think I've ever seen a kit that had zero damage that was set up and taken down a lot.

I was super careful about looking after my kit when I was gigging on a regular basis,and there were still some minor damage due to being bumped into or having a mic fall into a shell.

GC does have some great deals and they do have some wiggle room on the price of used gear.Best of luck.:)

Steve B

wildbill

Platinum Member
I've asked about used kits at my local GC. Don't know if this policy is system-wide, but here's how it works there.

The store that has the kit charges you for shipping. You pay for the drums up-front, and have them shipped to your local store.

When they arrive at the store, you can go in and look them over. If you decide they're not exactly what you thought, you don't have to accept them, and you get your money back (minus the shipping charges, I assume).

After that - I don't know. I think the store you're dealing with tries to sell them, rather than sending them back, but I'm not sure about that.

I've bought one used kit from GC, but I got it locally. I paid the asking price without even trying to bargain it down.
But it was just what I was looking for, it had just arrived, and I bought it before it was even put on the web site. I had to wait for a holding period before I could pick them up.
It wasn't something I wanted to hesitate with and take the chance of not getting it.

Autopilot

I live in Chicago not very far from the GC. I could probably take a look at the kit for you....or see if there is any damage.

charliedrummer

I live in Chicago not very far from the GC. I could probably take a look at the kit for you....or see if there is any damage.
Wow, that would be great! I'm not sure if there's only one GC in the Chicago area but if so the kit I'm looking at is the 3-piece Ludwig Keystone in the limited edition black abalone finish. If there are simply stick marks on the heads, which I fully anticipate, that's fine. I'd also expect some pedal rash on the bass drum hoop. I'm more concerned about any lifting of the wrap on the 3 drums, any scratches in the finish, or damaged hardware.

Thanks again for the offer!

wildbill

Platinum Member
If autopilot can't make it in to GC, just email them and ask about the drums, and if they could send you pics of any defects.
I've done that a couple times, and have had good responses from them.