Buying a drum set, who did I miss on my list of options?

Soupy

Silver Member
I'm looking to buy a large set of drums that I can mix and match to suit any purpose; jazz kit here, rock kit there, leave a set here, and the other one there, blah blah versatile.. I'd like something like 4-6 toms, probably 10/12/13 racks and 14/16/18 floors. I'd also like two bass drums, 20 and 24 inch basses being the common option. But I am open to any options for sizes. Here's the list of options I've compiled. I'm not asking which drums I should buy, but really what should I be trying out. For comparison, the prices below are all just flatly listed at 40% off list, all based on Internet research.

Gretsch Renown
10/12/14/20 plus 13/16/24 shell packs and an extra 18" floor: $3170 - $3445 depending on finish. Love the sound, current crop of finishes don't wow me, not a big fan of bursts/fades.

Gretsch Brooklyn
13/16/24 shell pack plus 12/14/20 component drums: $3875 in nitron. Pushes my budget a little higher than I'd prefer given that I'd have to leave out the 10 and 18 for the future. Plus I haven't seen any in person yet.

Mapex Saturn
10/12/14 plus 12/16/24 shell packs and extra 13 rack and 18 floor: $3233. Yes, cheaper to get shell packs and end up with 2 12" rack toms than the alternative. Might even skip the 13 up front and see if I can fake it with different head selection/tuning on the pair of 12s. A shame Mapex dropped most of their options for sizes of component drums in the 2012 lineup.

Mapex MyDentity
I'm cool with wraps and the options are impossible to beat for the price. Two 5-piece shell packs (i.e. 8/10/12/13 rack, 14/16/18 floor, 20/26 bass, 14 snare) come in at $2075 at 40% off, and it seems you could get the kitchen sink (8/10/12/13/14/15/16/18 toms 18/22/26 bass 13/14 snares) for a little over $3000. That would be two six piece shell packs plus an extra bass, getting one of every size Tom they offer. Utterly ridiculous, but appeals to my shallow, fragile ego which is bolstered by owning lots of toys. These are the only "intermediate" series on a list of pro drums, but seem worthy of mention.

Taye StudioMaple
10/12/14/20/14 plus 14/16/18/24/14 shell packs: $3131. That's a 14x14 floor and 11x14 rack tom, plus both 5 and 7 inch deep snares. I've played one a little at a local store, sounds nice, seems built well enough, but I'm a little unsure about the brand / reputation. Plus some of their sizes/configurations are a bit less standard.

Pearl MCX
10/12/14/20 shell pack plus component 13/16/18/24: $4377, not in the running, the component prices just rule it out. Sound nice eching though, but chicks dont dig the thick shells.

Tama Starclassic Performer
Meh, as far as I can tell, all the shell packs have 22s, getting the sizes as components is like $5000. Pass.

Yamaha
Well, their web site sucks, getting pricing info on the internet is a royal pain, so I gave up here. I think Oak Customs might be in the same price range as the Brooklyns, but I'm not sure, and I didn't really look too closely at other options in their lineup. If anyone can make suggestions, feel free.

DW
No 13/18 toms in the Performance series, and I presume anything else DW is too expensive.

Ludwig
Classic Maples by far have the most options. I would be tempted by 10/12/14 racks, 15/16/18 floors, and 20/26 bass drums, running around $4100, but I think I can get a good price and squeeze into my budget.

Anything else to consider?

TLDR: Soupy over-thinks buying stuff, yet again.

Maybe Sonor? SQ2? I have an old Sonor kit and I have always thought highly of their products, but I have never tried the SQ2's. They look really nice.

....Yamaha
Well, their web site sucks, getting pricing info on the internet is a royal pain, so I gave up here. I think Oak Customs might be in the same price range as the Brooklyns, but I'm not sure, and I didn't really look too closely at other options in their lineup. If anyone can make suggestions, feel free.

Not sure how generalized these prices are, but you could get a ballpark figure for component drums here:

http://www.ruppsdrums.com/category/Yamaha-Drums-961

Of course, you'd probably be starting with some type of standardized kit, and then be adding on individual components, which are always more expensive when bought piecemeal.
Click on the type first, and then on the components, which will show in drop down lists with prices.

.... I'd like something like 4-6 toms, probably 10/12/13 racks and 14/16/18 floors. I'd also like two bass drums, 20 and 24 inch basses being the common option....

EDIT: one example - Oak Customs:

3-pc shell set- 24x17 bass drum, 13x10 tom, 16x16 tom = $1,749.99

plus

4-pc shell set- 20x17 bass drum, 10x8 tom, 12x9 tom, 14x14 floor tom = $1,929.99

Would give you 20" and 24" bass, 10, 12, and 13 toms, and 14 and 16 floor toms. You'd just have to get an 18" floor tom ($529.99 - ouch - ha ha) to complete your list.
Adds up too quick, doesn't it?

Last edited:
If you really want all of those drum then to me the Mapex Saturn seems to be your best option. I personally would look into buying two used kits.

For people back Stateside yes Sonor and things from Europe are expensive. However, all the American made kits that I would normally not have an issue with buying are more expensive here in Europe. If you price the kit out in Euro its a different story especially if your salary is in Euros. When Germany switched from the DM though I think a lot of things instantly became expensive.

I have a friend who did the same thing as you are proposing. He has had the same array of drums (all in birch) for years.

Honestly back stateside you can get much more bang for your buck with any number of companies.

I know what you mean, wildbill. Looks like the Select Force or Ascent lines are in the same price ranges as what I'm discussing here. SQ2s are easily 3-4 times the price, based on kits I see advertised on eBay. Thanks for the good link on Yamaha prices as well.

Gretsch Renown
10/12/14/20 plus 13/16/24 shell packs and an extra 18" floor: $3170 - $3445 depending on finish. Love the sound, current crop of finishes don't wow me, not a big fan of bursts/fades.

My choice would be the Renowns, though if you could afford a higher budget I'd go Ludwig first (keep the money at home). But I think I've seen Renowns in a classy black matte finish also, and some drum shop (forget name) had a cool retro light blue color as well, similar to the blue in the '57s light blue scheme. For quality they give best bang for your buck. Good luck and keep us posted.

send me a note with your sizes and color you would like and I will build you the kit of a lifetime.

[email protected]

I have been considering many options for my next drumset also and I'm kind of sad that Pork Pie didn't enter my mind. I seriously love my Pork Pie brass patina snare. Looking on your site though I don't see a whole lot of finish options.

I have been considering many options for my next drumset also and I'm kind of sad that Pork Pie didn't enter my mind. I seriously love my Pork Pie brass patina snare. Looking on your site though I don't see a whole lot of finish options.

Not wishing to speak for Bill, I have seen a whole lot of his work and in my humble opinion, if he can't do it, it shouldn't be on a kit. Genuinely toying with the idea of a pork pie kit for myself in the very near future.....

Yeah I have seen a few of the finishes on snare drums. I would love a nice wood grain fade and I don't think I have seen that yet.

Edit: Ok I see the forest green burst satin on the site, and if that is true wood grain, I'm definitely interested. Maybe I need to stop hijacking this thread and contact him myself.

I'd look into the Sonor Ascent or the Select Force. Quality drums that last, and are not too expensive. My personal choise. Whatever kit you end up with, be shure to make a thread with tons of pics! ;)

Thanks for the kind words gents. I do appreciate it.

I am in the middle of working on my color chart on the website so that will be up soon. Actually doing a lot of changes but they take time.

Thanks for the kind words gents. I do appreciate it.

I am in the middle of working on my color chart on the website so that will be up soon. Actually doing a lot of changes but they take time.

I'll definitely keep an eye on the site then!

Back