Buying a ‘fast install clutch’

Novusuhu

Hey everyone

I’m thinking of buying a new hi-hat clutch for my DW5000TD (two legs), to speed things up when installing and removing the hihat cymbals. Oh and these hi-hat clutches also look nice! (red trim etc.)

So far I found two brands that make these updated ‘fast install clutch’ type:
- TAMA Quick-Set Hi-Hat Clutch
https://www.guitarcenter.com/TAMA/Quick-Set-Hi-Hat-Clutch-1500000036537.gc

- Pearl Rapid Lock Super Grip Hi-Hat Clutch
https://www.guitarcenter.com/Pearl/Rapid-Lock-Super-Grip-Hi-Hat-Clutch.gc

Do you guys know if there are any other (maybe better and cheaper) alternatives?
Will they fit the DW5000TD upper rod?

Morrisman

Platinum Member
The Remo quick lock clutch is simpler and cheaper. I have a generic copy of the Remo and it works well. The bottom ring has pins facing inwards, lining up with slots in the base. Push and turn, like a bayonet-style light bulb. The spring adjust at the top is surprisingly good - no lock nut needed - the spring stops it from slipping.

bongoman

Several companies make quick release clutches these days. My two favorites are by Remo and Gibraltar. Super reliable and easy. I haven’t tried the Tama yet, but I don’t trust plastic parts.

OSDrums

The Remo quick lock clutch is simpler and cheaper. I have a generic copy of the Remo and it works well. The bottom ring has pins facing inwards, lining up with slots in the base. Push and turn, like a bayonet-style light bulb. The spring adjust at the top is surprisingly good - no lock nut needed - the spring stops it from slipping.
This! I use one since 30 years and it never let me down. Easy and fast.
https://www.gewamusic.com/product/17475/remo-quicklock-hihat-clutch-.html

gish

I bought the Gibraltar one a few months ago; time will tell as far as durability is concerned. Main reason I wanted is so I don’t have to deal with the darned bottom nut loosening on the cymbal mid song (how many times has that happened to us over the years?!?). If it solves that issue then hallelujah. I’m going to pick up another to keep as a backup in my stick bag; I think it’s like $15 USD on amazon so why not.

yammyfan

I went for the Gibraltar one which I highly rate https://www.thomann.de/gb/gibraltar_sc_qrhhc_quick_hi_hat_clutch.htm

Push the bottom in and it releases, but solid-as when it's attached. Collar-type clamp too so doesn't mess up your rod and takes thicker rods too.
I bought the Gibraltar one a few months ago; time will tell as far as durability is concerned. Main reason I wanted is so I don’t have to deal with the darned bottom nut loosening on the cymbal mid song (how many times has that happened to us over the years?!?). If it solves that issue then hallelujah. I’m going to pick up another to keep as a backup in my stick bag; I think it’s like $15 USD on amazon so why not.
I've been using the Gibraltar clutch for a couple of years and it has worked flawlessly. I carry a spare in my stick bag too.

J-W

Just received the Tama "Sizzle" Drop Clutch. Brilliant in every way :)
I'm going to have to get me one of those. Years ago I found the perfect size/rate spring to put between my hats to allow them to sizzle a bit when using the drop clutch, but lost it during a frantic tear down. I eventually switched to an X-hat for DB work, but have ditched that since. This looks like the perfect solution.

dwsabianguy

I’ve been using the Gibraltar quick release clutch for like four or five years now and it’s been nothing but flawless.

Alain Rieder

Silver Member
I’m very happy with the Remo too!

I used the same two leg DW stand as you. I use this clutch. Love it.

Most of my clutches have been Pearl and Gibraltar. I really like this Gibraltar model. They've got all metal construction. The Pearl and Tama models, while nice designs, have way too much plastic for something in a high impact environment of set up, tear down, and transport, to be so pricey.

NackAttack

Just received the Tama "Sizzle" Drop Clutch. Brilliant in every way :)
That looks nice! Do you have much experience with other drop clutches? I had a Gibraltar drop clutch in the early 2000s and it was extremely unreliable. Turned me off to drop clutches. I’m wondering if I should take another shot at them. Maybe I’m smart enough to work em now!

BigDrew

Ha! I always thought the Remo was sort of the standard. I didn’t realize there were so many! For the record, I have the remo and really like it.

Novusuhu

I think I will go for the Gibraltar SC-QRHHC. It's around 19 euro here in Belgium.
The REMO is around 45 euro... Don't know why the prices are so far apart?

Frosticles

Silver Member
That looks nice! Do you have much experience with other drop clutches? I had a Gibraltar drop clutch in the early 2000s and it was extremely unreliable. Turned me off to drop clutches. I’m wondering if I should take another shot at them. Maybe I’m smart enough to work em now!
Yes, Have used them for a very long time now. My last one before this was a Pearl Quick Release Drop Clutch which was very good but lacks the adjustability of this Tama one :)