Buy Once, Cry Once!

Bo Eder

Platinum Member
I got to play the blues with a couple of musicians today for actual money. What was cool about it was that I got to fly completely by the seat of my pants as there were no set lists, no pre-rehearsals, nothing! It was just keep your ears open and go for it. I love gigs like this.

But I digress, what this post is really about is my favorite pieces of gear. As some of you now, drums come and go around my house as I'm always getting into new ones, or re-built old ones. But a favorite piece of gear is something I've bought and never think about replacing. I got to the gig today, and it was outside where I could see my gear very clearly in the noon day sun (and heat in SoCal STILL in November). My cymbal and stick bags looked worn and tired, but I remember I had bought them new 34 years ago!

I remember attending an Ed Shaughnessy clinic near my parents house back in 1982 and I arrived early. Ed comes walking in with this battered old leather cymbal bag, and proceeded to tell me that he'd had that bag for at least 40 years at that point. Of course, I started saving pennies to get a cymbal bag at least of the leather variety for protection. It would be the adult thing to day. When I bought the bag, Reunion Blues informed that they had a matching stick bag to go with it. So I bought that too.

But these two bags have been with me on every gig I've done for the last 34 years. Amazing. check them out!88356

Wow, cool bags. They do look a bit dated, but what doesn't after 34 years.

So your pic is bugging my OCD. I probably already know the answer, but why are the mallets and brushes in the bag right side up but the sticks upside-down?

I probably already know the answer, but why are the mallets and brushes in the bag right side up but the sticks upside-down?

Apparently you have only been playing drums for like a week or two. LOL

Bo, how do you get a cymbal bag to last that long? What is on the bottom of the bag that keeps it from wearing out?
And what kind of zipper lasts that long? (oh wait, the zipper was made 34 years ago)

And what kind of zipper lasts that long? (oh wait, the zipper was made 34 years ago)

You answered your own question, so I don't have to! lol

Great bags, Bo. I am impressed they have lasted that long.

Apparently you have only been playing drums for like a week or two. LOL

28 years is a long week or two. My guess is he hangs the bag off something and grabs one in case of a dropped stick. But I assume nothing so wanted to get the answer from the horses mouth. I don't hang bags from drums, they have holders for that now! ☺️

Man they have aged and held up well. You on the other hand LOL-just kidding. I love leather-when I was kid and took a taxidermy course I was tanning hides back in those day (not just the knuckleheads picking fights LOL but about any critter that died or I or someone shot) . I made a purse for my sister and some stuff but lost interest. But as Ed and you have shown they did make things better or at least last in the past. We have a disposable society now so almost an attitude "Well it isn't made to last forever". Well there was time stuff when at least people tried to last forever. I've got two leather bags-now non-gigging they sit empty to the side. Poor things. I should find them a good home.

So your pic is bugging my OCD. I probably already know the answer, but why are the mallets and brushes in the bag right side up but the sticks upside-down?
When you need to grab a stick fast......it's already orientated tip forward...

If you shove a pair of mallets "head first" into the stick bag they cry.

Lol

Bo, how do you get a cymbal bag to last that long? What is on the bottom of the bag that keeps it from wearing out?

I honestly don’t know. I don’t abuse my stuff, but it’s well used. There’s nothing on the bottom of the bag, but it’s the most discolored and worn there though. These Reunion Blues bags are just made well.

As stated, I grab a stick and it’s in playing position already. In my younger days I used to have to switch between stuff quickly, I don’t do that anymore. That said, I no longer get hang the stick bag either. I’ll put a spare stick on the bass drum, and let the stick bag stand up against something near my feet.

Man they have aged and held up well. You on the other hand LOL-just kidding. I love leather-when I was kid and took a taxidermy course I was tanning hides back in those day (not just the knuckleheads picking fights LOL but about any critter that died or I or someone shot) . I made a purse for my sister and some stuff but lost interest. But as Ed and you have shown they did make things better or at least last in the past. We have a disposable society now so almost an attitude "Well it isn't made to last forever". Well there was time stuff when at least people tried to last forever. I've got two leather bags-now non-gigging they sit empty to the side. Poor things. I should find them a good home.
Truth be told, I do ha e one of those newfangled canvas bags with wheels and a thick pad on the bottom edge. Sometimes I don’t want to carry all the cymbal weight on my shoulder, but I haven’t started using it yet because when I do go out with everything cased, everything goes on my Rock n roller cart for one trip in. Maybe one day I’ll use it.

I don't hang bags from drums, they have holders for that now! ☺

Hey MrInsane:
When you said "holders", I did a Google search. I just purchased one of these.
I have always hated trying to hang my stick bag on my, and everybody else's, floor tom.

Thank you my friend !!

Hey MrInsane:
When you said "holders", I did a Google search. I just purchased one of these.
I have always hated trying to hang my stick bag on my, and everybody else's, floor tom.

Thank you my friend !!

View attachment 88368

Now that's cool! I like that. Looks all professional, like a slim briefcase. Not like some old timey doctor bag. Has a pocket too, nice!

I've always used the clamp to a stand style. One on the hi hat, one between the floor toms.

How much was it back then Bo? I'd like to convert that to today's dollar just for laughs.

Leather....who doesn't love a great old worn leather bag? My leather stick and cymbal bags started their journey only about 4 years ago. I got Anthology stuff, with an honest to goodness 100 year guarantee. It just makes me feel good to have them. Heirloom grade stuff. They cost me about $1000 combined. I don't care. To me a great leather cymbal and stick bag is worth more than a stack of American dollars lol.

The zippered leather cymbal bag is much easier to deal with than a hard case with a lid and a wingnut that I have to lay on my lap to access. It's faster in and out. I'm not crazy about supporting the weight of the cymbal by the hole, even though I did it for years with no problem. And it does have ample padding (2 inches) on the bottom. There is probably more bombproof protection, the hard plastic cases are arguably way better than leather for cymbal edges. But they can't hold a candle to leather for the cool factor.

How much was it back then Bo? I'd like to convert that to today's dollar just for laughs.

Leather....who doesn't love a great old worn leather bag? My leather stick and cymbal bags started their journey only about 4 years ago. I got Anthology stuff, with an honest to goodness 100 year guarantee. It just makes me feel good to have them. Heirloom grade stuff. They cost me about $1000 combined. I don't care. To me a great leather cymbal and stick bag is worth more than a stack of American dollars lol.

The zippered leather cymbal bag is much easier to deal with than a hard case with a lid and a wingnut that I have to lay on my lap to access. It's faster in and out. I'm not crazy about supporting the weight of the cymbal by the hole, even though I did it for years with no problem. And it does have ample padding (2 inches) on the bottom. There is probably more bombproof protection, the hard plastic cases are arguably way better than leather for cymbal edges. But they can't hold a candle to leather for the cool factor.

Back then (and I don't think it's changed much since) I paid $325 for the cymbal bag, and another $65 for the stick bag. I'm not even sure if Reunion Blues is still doing all-leather anything nowadays.

I had a RB leather stick bag that I got in 2004 and by 2012 the fabric beside the zipper had tore out on the bottom, so I just never opened it up past the bottom corner after that. I replaced it in 2015 after seeing the Anthology bag at the NAMM show that you so kindly got me into. That was the first time for me on the west coast, it was a horizon expanding trip, so thanks again for that.

I had a RB leather stick bag that I got in 2004 and by 2012 the fabric beside the zipper had tore out on the bottom, so I just never opened it up past the bottom corner after that. I replaced it in 2015 after seeing the Anthology bag at the NAMM show that you so kindly got me into. That was the first time for me on the west coast, it was a horizon expanding trip, so thanks again for that.
Anytime! You should come out again. I have a guest list, you know ;)

Reading through this thread I began to wonder what NEW stick or cymbals bags would fit this description.....

...and I think @larryace definitely found a good candidate in the leather Anthology bags. Holy crap those things look nice! Eye-watering price though. Maybe some day!

Larry, every time you pick up that bag to go to a gig, I bet it feels good.....like it adds an extra level of pride you have in your gear I bet.

Are there any other stick or cymbal bags that would be considered Buy Once, Cry Once?

Larry, every time you pick up that bag to go to a gig, I bet it feels good.....like it adds an extra level of pride you have in your gear I bet.

You bet it does. It was basically a totally un-needed "I need this" type splurge lol that I do not regret one bit.

Big fan of buy once cry once. They make me grateful everytime I see them. I get comments from envious drummers.

I will say this...buying my dream stuff totally eradicated all shreds of GAS in me. When you truly have what you want...you naturally get off the merry go round. I highly recommend it.

I've had 9 drum kits. I'm down to 5 now. One is a set of Eames I had built in the 80's that I won't sell and the other is a set of DW's that I had built in 2008 that probably wouldn't sell lol.. That's the set with the 20" deep bass drum. I only really have use for 3 sets, a cased up gig set, and 2 sets set up at home next to each other, so it's easier to give my son lessons. I've got the drums I wanted with all my favorite cymbals and beautiful leather bags.

Gratefully done.

Last edited:
Back