Buttkicker? Backrest? Weight Savings Be Damned!!!

FreDrummer

Silver Member
There's so many threads about saving weight in the hardware bag, fewer trips to the car at gigs etc. I get it, and I've slimmed down parts of my rig to do so. But in the last two weeks, I made a change that went the other direction...

I don't get to sit at the drums and practice that much, so getting through a 4-hour gig can sometimes be a challenge physically, especially with my back (I'm 55). I use the Ahead Spinal-G throne seat -- which really helps --but my interest was piqued by the recent after-market backrest thread a few weeks ago. Second, the last few gigs we've played, the FOH mains were further out front then usual, and I was losing some of the low-end thump I usually get from them (I use IEMs). This got me thinking about some form of throne shaker (thanks to the Porter and Davies thread).

So, I sprung for a Gibraltar backrest and a ButtKicker setup. Wow! what a difference. We played Friday and Saturday night this weekend (kind of an anomoly for us), and these new toys made a noticeable, positive improvement! Thanks to the ButtKicker, I think my groove was better all night, and I was playing some diffficult numbers better than I ever have. I also found myself leaning on the backrest (and liking it) more than I anticipated.

The downside: WEIGHT!!! The Spinal G throne seat is no lightweight to begin with (it uses a steel plate and post-clamp). I stuck the throne top only (w/ButtKicker) on my bathroom scale, and that sucka' weighs almost 15 lbs!!! Then there's the backrest, which is one more piece to carry around... Less convenient? Yes. But in my case, playing just 2-3 gigs per month, I think the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience. There's a lot of scepticism when the topic of throne-shakers comes up, but, having played these two 4-hour gigs on one, I can say it's the real deal and actually helps my playing.

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
M

Matt Bo Eder

Very cool. If it helps you play better, and more comfortable then it's worth the trouble! Maybe you can get your throne rig its own little wheeled trap case so moving it around is less of a chore instead?

FreDrummer

Silver Member
Ha! Ha! Actually, I use an extra 14" tom bag I have to hold my stage snake, the throne top, and the assorted buttkicker amp and wires. The throne base and backrest go with the rest of the general hardware.

M

Matt Bo Eder

Ha! Ha! Actually, I use an extra 14" tom bag I have to hold my stage snake, the throne top, and the assorted buttkicker amp and wires. The throne base and backrest go with the rest of the general hardware.
Ah. So what are you complaining about?

;)

gdmoore28

Gold Member
Thanks for that review. I've always wondered about the real benefits of the throne shakers, and it's nice to hear that they can add that much enjoyment to playing. I found myself trying to imagine the sensation you described, and it's quite easy to see how the shaker would make one play better under louder circumstances.

GeedeeEmm