Butt plate upgrade for Supraphonic

Bigdumbdrums

I searched but couldn't find anything that answers this question directly:

I have a 1966 Ludwig Supraphonic and I want to upgrade the Butt plate (I will most certainly upgrade the P85 to a P86). I don't want to drill this shell. I am going to keep the original parts in the event I sell it someday. I just want to find a better butt plate that has the same hole configuration. Anyone know of anything?

KamaK

Platinum Member
I'm assuming that you have a P32 plate currently. If you're looking for something compatible, I'd take a look at a P33.

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
I'm assuming that you have a P32 plate currently. If you're looking for something compatible, I'd take a look at a P33.
You'll find that the hole spacing for the P32 and P33 are not interchangeable.

Only Ludwig could be party to such a monumental oversight!!

M

Matt Bo Eder

What's wrong with the original butt plate? I have that on my 70s Supra and it works fine. The strainer, yes, that has problems and could use an upgrade, but the butt plate? It just holds the snare cord. If it does that, you're gold!

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
You'll find that the hole spacing for the P32 and P33 are not interchangeable.

Only Ludwig could be party to such a monumental oversight!!
Should be something in the works... :)

Barring that, I'm surprised the current P-32 doesn't match the old one. Ludwig never changed specs and kept the same part # (so far this week!)

Bermuda

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Should be something in the works... :)
Anything you're able to elaborate on? How about an ETA?

OP, You're going to have to elaborate on which buttplate you have. I believe there is a generic import buttplate that retrofits one of the Luddy models, might be mistaken...

G

Ghostnote

I ordered my new Ludwig snare with the old school P32 butt. Does what it's supposed to do and less junk strapped to the drum. What do you want out of a butt that the P32 doesn't do?

Pocket-full-of-gold

Platinum Member
Barring that, I'm surprised the current P-32 doesn't match the old one. Ludwig never changed specs and kept the same part # (so far this week!)
Karl Crafton and Steve B kindly filled me in on that handy snippet of information............about 15 minutes after I'd ordered a P33 from eBay, of course.

At first I couldn't believe it. What kind of company would show such complete lack of thought? I said to myself.........then I remembered.......well, we are talking about Ludwig!! :)

Anything you're able to elaborate on? How about an ETA?
A simple design change to incorporate making one of the screws that mounts to the shell to be adjustable (as per the Atlas mounts) should suffice.

Neilage

I recently acquired a 1966 Supra with the P32 butt plate as well.
I would prefer a butt plate that attaches using a drum key rather than phillips head screws.