But what was Sonor thinking?

Salty Dog

How do you turn potentially one of the best looking drum set
into the result of a major brain cramp? Well you do what
Sonor did with their Vintage Series Drums.

Seriously why would they ever offset the lugs only on one drum shell? and if you're going to do it why not have them offset so that they fall straight in the middle?

Technically I know why they did it, because the shell is too shallow for the lugs to fit if aligned but couldn't they just re-design the lugs to look the same but shorter? Ok if that was not possible they should have at least thought to offset the lugs on all the drum shells. I am very disappointed in the overall look and lack of attention to detail here. I cannot afford these drums but if I could I wouldn't buy them for this reason only.

Attachments

WallyY

Platinum Member
It's a modern re-issue of the old beloved Teardrops.
People who are buying them like the old design and appreciate the style.

Winegums

Silver Member
That's a fail...

The lugs would look fine if they were evenly offset. Why is it so hard for people to get design right these days? There's no excuse to put out a product that looks terrible when you have computer aided design. There's an infinite amount of editing you can do to make sure it's perfect.

Salty Dog

It's a modern re-issue of the old beloved Teardrops.
People who are buying them like the old design and appreciate the style.
The issue is not the design of the lugs themselves but their placement.
Even if this was how it was designed back in the day they could of at least fixed that aesthetic blunder.

jornthedrummer

Silver Member
Its not a screwup I think. Tooling for this kind of thing is reletively inexpensive and they would have redone it, if this was not planned.
I agree with previous post - doesn't look good.

Winegums

Silver Member
With a slightly deeper shell and a shorter tension rod they could have placed them like the other lugs.

opentune

Platinum Member
I actually like the offset. My eyes key into it every time I see teardrop sets . Though I wonder 'why' the same as you, I then think how those are wonderfully sounding well made drums and its all good.

Glad to see a different logo too. That's a nice classy set.

Tommy_D

Platinum Member
It doesn't seem to bother me as much as I would normally think it would. I'm a bit anal retentive about these kinds of things, but my guess is that they could have fixed the issue by making slightly smaller lugs for the rack tom and aligning them, but because its a throw back kit, they intentionally did not. If you look at the vintage kits they do this exact same thing and slightly offset the tom lugs. That was the original design back then. My guess was that they didn't want to design two different sized lugs for the toms back in the 60's, so they used the same lugs on all toms requiring the offset due to the shell depth. It would have increased production costs and when you are running a business, production costs are a big deal. A bigger deal than slightly offsetting a lug. Plus, they offset the lugs on the snare drum as well, so there is a theme within the set.

Salty Dog

If that's how it was before then I can accept that they wanted to make it that way again. I personally don't like the offset lugs but I would be ok if all the shells had offset lugs. I agree that the vintage style logo looks classy.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
It's only the shallower tom and snare it is offset. Looks like a quality kit, old school, and I don't see it as a big problem. Some people don't like things being too balanced and like the oddity. As long as they are quality and sound good-I'm good with it. The fact people will notice it makes me happy cause generally no one really pays that much attention to the drum kit. If we are talking about it here you can bet others will notice when you play a gig.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Seriously why would they ever offset the lugs only on one drum shell? .
To replicate the look of their 50's and 60's kits. They're targeting Sonor "fans" with this kit. And getting it right, for that market, means getting the look right. The logo is from the 50's. The offset lugs, from the 60's.​

Attachments

Last edited:

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
If you changed the logo to something boring and took off the lugs and replaced them with something ugly, would anyone want the kit?

It's amazing how much the things that don't actually matter....matter.

Salty Dog

If you changed the logo to something boring and took off the lugs and replaced them with something ugly, would anyone want the kit?

It's amazing how much the things that don't actually matter....matter.
I'm a graphic designer so that should answer your question.

jbonzo1

Silver Member
To replicate the look of their 50's and 60's kits. They're targeting Sonor "fans" with this kit. And getting it right, for that market, means getting the look right. The logo is from the 50's. The offset lugs, from the 60's.​
Exactly.
The people who will actually buy one of these kits want it that way.

Salty Dog

Respectfully, again, to replicate a bygone era's look. Isn't that a 50's logo?

I'm guessing your answer would be no then? You wouldn't buy the kit without the cool looking bits? Sorry, I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes.
Quality for quality I go with the nicest looking kit. I always wanted a Ludwig Breakbeat until I found out the badge was stinking sticker a Sticker!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A sticker? The nerve! I hear you though. I hate cheap. Script logos like Rogers and Guru are among my favorite. The S in the 50's Sonor logo reminds me of, is it the treble clef?

I don't mind the offset lugs. I am a total victim of their stylings too, I think the cool 50's logo and the teardrop lugs are about as classic looking as you can get.

The finish on the shells can go though. Ebony never did thing one for me. Piano black would look much classier and classic.

Salty Dog

A sticker? The nerve! I hear you though. I hate cheap. Script logos like Rogers and Guru are among my favorite. The S in the 50's Sonor logo reminds me of, is it the treble clef?

I don't mind the offset lugs. I am a total victim of their stylings too, I think the cool 50's logo and the teardrop lugs are about as classic looking as you can get.

The finish on the shells can go though. Ebony never did thing one for me. Piano black would look much classier and classic.
Yeah the Guru logo is a killer. I own a new Ludwig Keystone with the recycled Brass Keystone Badge and I think it's one of the nicest badges out there or at least the nicest badge from Ludwig unless you think the Blue & Olive one is nice but let's not go there please.