Burying the stick in the snare...New Technique?

I've been playing the whipped cream rolls for 40+ years - never a problem - but the disadvantage with that type of buzz roll is if you try to get a lot of volume .. like a loud crescendo roll - ya I wouldn't want to do that everyday as you could mess yourself up. For loud rolls I use clean fast double strokes and all fingers... much more effective.

re the video.. some nice playing in there! Not sure I get the 'bury the stick' thing.. if it's a rim shot sure - I live for rim shots!
But burying the stick.. not sure if it makes a big sonic difference on the snare.. can you hear it at the front of the house?
Update - I checked the THomas Lang clip - awesome - I can hear the difference in the recording.. at the beginning it does give it a nice dry attitude that fits the music... compared to later on when it opens up and he lets it bounce. Pretty cool..
I suppose some drummers 'bury the beater' and don't require ankle braces. so how hard can it be on the wrists Lol?

EXACTLY!!! The bury stick is just another technique. I've been doing a version of it without thinking about for over 40 years; on a simple 2 & 4 backbeat sometimes, especially jazz pieces, I'l just do a crushed roll with left hand only. It's just a sorta longer sustain on the back beat. To do it you bury the stick but let it do a crushed roll with just the left. I'm sure all of us have been doing that forever. It's kinda same thing you can get one stroke out of it or multiple crushed strokes. And at low volume. No stress at all on hands that's no different from all the other stresses on hands playing.

Deen Castronovo was the first guy I noticed using this technique...I’ve personally never really used it but wouldn’t rule it out if it seemed right for a particular tune... :unsure: (y)

There's a right and wrong way to do this, too. You can apply all relevant principles to this as well. It doesn't have to hurt you.

Phil's problems were from poor posture resulting in dislocated verterbrae in the neck.. followed by back surgery and other problems from that. A booze problem that nearly killed him didn't help either.. but he's back on the mend last I heard.

Deen Castronovo was the first guy I noticed using this technique...I’ve personally never really used it but wouldn’t rule it out if it seemed right for a particular tune... :unsure: (y)

I have no idea what Deen is doing. Nothing like what I'm talking about. The OP's original post is more like what I do. And my variation on it is to play a crushed one handed roll instead of just one stroke if I want a sustained sorta sound.

I don't think I've ever played music that required me burying this stick into the drum head. I think I'll just keep doing what I'm doing.

As a side note, the Thomas Lang video is the absolute best recording of DW's I've ever heard.

I’ve seen that for decades and still see it on many drum covers and always wondered what it is called like. But I wouldn’t do that, it looks like getting a tendinitis for the rest of my life.

Not a new technique
Many of the old timers played this way to achieve a certain sound.

Also not a "bad" technique
Everyone plays differently and uses what works for them

See James Gadson use it here ... James is also playing with only his index finger over the stick
Is that "bad tachnique" ?
Maybe go tell James that

Not a new technique
Many of the old timers played this way to achieve a certain sound.

Also not a "bad" technique
Everyone plays differently and uses what works for them

Mhm, but there’s no rebound and it goes all back to the wrist.

go work on your technique.
allow James and others who use it to make a living

If you use this method properly nothing is absorbing into the wrist.
I’m already doing that, but before I knew how to get rebound I had tendinitis all the time.

Back