Bum Wraps?

Mustion

Related to my other thread about removing old drum wrap-

Long story short, I am adding an orphan tom to my kit. My original plan was to re-wrap to match but between the removal of the old wrap and installation of the new, it's looking like a cumbersome and expensive process for just one drum.

So now I'm considering Bum Wrap, which is supposed to be much easier to apply, can simply go over the current wrap, and is less expensive per drum which presents an opportunity for a makeover since they don't offer my current finish. What they do offer is a long-time favorite of mine: Ludwig's hokey 1970s Walnut Cortex!

But before I throw money at what appears to be kismet, I first have a few questions to throw at DW's collective expertise:

-I know it's relatively cheap to buy, but does it look cheap? We're talking Walnut Cortex here, so expectations aren't high to begin with; but I don't want it to look shoddy either. To that end, is the pattern/woodgrain high enough resolution to not appear digitally processed even up close? And more importantly, how large of an image do they use? It's not cute when repeat loop/mirror points create an unintended pattern, and unfortunately their samples are only 3x3" which doesn't help answer this.

-I see that Bum Wrap is applied with tape strips instead of contact cement. If one were to remove it for whatever reason, is it easy enough to do so and is the residue easy enough to remove from the underlying wrap? And because it is applied in this way, is it also susceptible to bubbling, warping, etc.? I have images in my head of cheap "piano black" or "candy apple red" drumsets with wavy wraps affixed only by the lugs...

These are questions I will probably address to them directly, but I know they're a small company and probably busy. So before I do that, I have the denizens of DW at my disposal and I know some of you have used BW before! Thanks!

-I know it's relatively cheap to buy, but does it look cheap? We're talking Walnut Cortex here, so expectations aren't high to begin with; but I don't want it to look shoddy either. To that end, is the pattern/woodgrain high enough resolution to not appear digitally processed even up close? And more importantly, how large of an image do they use? It's not cute when repeat loop/mirror points create an unintended pattern, and unfortunately their samples are only 3x3" which doesn't help answer this.

-I see that Bum Wrap is applied with tape strips instead of contact cement. If one were to remove it for whatever reason, is it easy enough to do so and is the residue easy enough to remove from the underlying wrap? And because it is applied in this way, is it also susceptible to bubbling, warping, etc.? I have images in my head of cheap "piano black" or "candy apple red" drumsets with wavy wraps affixed only by the lugs...

These are questions I will probably address to them directly, but I know they're a small company and probably busy. So before I do that, I have the denizens of DW at my disposal and I know some of you have used BW before! Thanks!

I wrapped a floor tom with Bum Wrap using a custom graphic I made myself of a blue strata pattern, because at the time blue strata was discontinued. (Fast forward two years and it's again a standard wrap... sigh.) I did the graphic at 300dpi at 1:1 size and I'm happy with the result - you have to get right up on the drum to see that it's a graphic and not an actual strata wrap. Under stage lights it's hard to distinguish. SO to answer your first question, the image quality is good and if you have a woodgrain image that you can do at 1:1 scale, no chance of that small-scale looping effect. I can't speak for their stock wrap images though.

I haven't had to remove it, but it's easy enough to do by tearing open the seam. Yes, the lugs are holding it in place on the shell, and in my case I didn't get it 100% tight around the shell before sealing it, so I have a little bit of air behind the wrap. It's not bubbling in streaks like you mentioned, though - that's more common in wraps that are glued. It's been out in the sun and heat for hours with zero issues. And again, you can't tell unless you take the heads off and inspect it. If you are slightly more careful than I am, no worries.

They are a small company, true, but I've always had very quick responses from them and they were easy to work with. I'm sure if you explain your concerns they'll do a great job to make sure you get what you want.

Attachments

• 509ml.jpg
    509ml.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 284
I have done about 6 drums using BUm Wraps and have had no issues. The glue strip works well and with the number of lugs and other hardware help the wrap will stay put.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm currently trying to order a sample of this wrap but the ecommerce site they use is all buggered up and giving me a bunch of errors... email sent...

Thanks again.

Something else I'm considering if applying directly to the existing wrap is that these are concert toms; I wonder if the aluminum trim strip along the bottom will accommodate the added thickness, and I'll need that strip to keep the lower half of the wrap in place (no lugs!)

I've used bum wrap and I'd do it again in a minute.

Thanks again.

Something else I'm considering if applying directly to the existing wrap is that these are concert toms; I wonder if the aluminum trim strip along the bottom will accommodate the added thickness, and I'll need that strip to keep the lower half of the wrap in place (no lugs!)

Or you could butt the wrap up against the metal trim piece, and just run some double-stick tape around the circumference, right at that edge. That should hold it down.

Or you could butt the wrap up against the metal trim piece, and just run some double-stick tape around the circumference, right at that edge. That should hold it down.

That would mess with my sense of aesthetics (the same twisted sense that pines over Walnut Cortex and concert toms)... I like to see that strip envelop the wrap. Anyway, I think it has enough wiggle room that it should be able to. The extra tape will be clutch regardless.

Thanks again.

When you order for say a 12 x 8 tom, they will ask how much gap at top and botton an calculate. 1/8 inch on top plus the strip on the bottom

That would mess with my sense of aesthetics (the same twisted sense that pines over Walnut Cortex and concert toms)... I like to see that strip envelop the wrap. Anyway, I think it has enough wiggle room that it should be able to. The extra tape will be clutch regardless.

Yeah, I feel ya. Wasn't sure how thick the wrap was, and how thick the metal strips were. But I agree, if the wrap is thicker than the metal, a butt-job might look weird.

Strangely, I came across an expired Reverb listing of a kit with this very wrap so I asked the seller how he liked it, especially as it pertains to the visual accuracy and if there are weird repeat points... turns out he's the one who provided them with the original sample in the first place. Can't get a better testimonial than that!

Yeah, I feel ya. Wasn't sure how thick the wrap was, and how thick the metal strips were. But I agree, if the wrap is thicker than the metal, a butt-job might look weird.

I'm also not sure I'd get it to butt up uniformly all around the drum so there'd be some weird gaps here and there. But without looking at the drums right in front of me, I think this trim strip is more L- than U-shaped due to the thick re-rings so it could probably come outward enough to accommodate.

I'm also not sure I'd get it to butt up uniformly all around the drum so there'd be some weird gaps here and there. But without looking at the drums right in front of me, I think this trim strip is more L- than U-shaped due to the thick re-rings so it could probably come outward enough to accommodate.

Very nice. Post pics when it's done.

I've been considering wrapping my old (12 years) Pearl SMX Session Custom, not because the finish on the drums is awful or beat up - I've taken very good care of them - but because the finish on the custom 16x14 floor tom I built for the kit doesn't quite look the same. It's close, but doesn't hold up under closer scrutiny. With Bum Wraps, for a couple hundred bucks I could do a full cosmetic makeover on a kit I have no intention of ever getting rid of, and then the whole kit would match. The company is also semi-local to me. It might be worth the time to actually take a ride out to Cumberland, Maryland from where I live in central Maryland, and give it all a look firsthand.

Where are you in Maryland, and if you decide to get some wraps I have some tips to putting them on that will help in the appearance .

Where are you in Maryland, and if you decide to get some wraps I have some tips to putting them on that will help in the appearance .
I'm smack dab in the middle of Central Maryland - Glen Burnie, about 20 minutes south of downtown Baltimore.

This is a project I've been mulling over for a bit - Bum Wraps are VERY affordable when compared to some of the other options that are available, and they have some really neat wood finishes that look great. My first exposure to wraps that look like wood came with some drums that Pearl was offering a few years back - I think they were Visions. I was incredulous about how they could sell kits with those expensive veneers at such a reasonable cost. It was a while before I realized that they were wraps - that's how good they were. I figure I could get a very similar effect with Bum Wraps.

Back