Building my drumkit updates

veecharlie

Good to know you are getting it worked out. The B and C axes think they are soooooo cool, but you'll show them on the 3.
Thanks! :D There's not really a point in using the B and C axis for the bearing edges as a 45 degree router bit gives a finish as smooth, with a lot less work.

veecharlie

Update !!
woeking on the lugs right now.Tried to do something on the bearing edges but with lack of time I haven’t been able to organize things. Priorities you know... I started studying and I’m busy building a small studio.
In anyways, I hope you guys like it!

drumnut87

looks good so far! and 3D printing is where a lot of things are going, the only concern i have abut 3d printed lugs is will they be able to withstand the pressure and will they be able to keep their threads for the duration and not strip?

veecharlie

looks good so far! and 3D printing is where a lot of things are going, the only concern i have abut 3d printed lugs is will they be able to withstand the pressure and will they be able to keep their threads for the duration and not strip?
They are prototypes, as I explained in the video :)
I think I will definitively do some strength experiments but I think it’s nothing resistant for the long term. At least for now, maybe in the future who knows!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
All good stuff :)

If you're going to CNC machine the bearing edges, that's fine if; a) the shells are perfectly round to within +/- 0.5mm max, or b) you probe map the shell. Honestly, for the hassle, use a good quality router table or spindle moulder.

Sintered printing strength isn't great. Perhaps good enough for a lug casing to accept an insert, but the finish isn't usually great. I see you were looking at 6061 T6 - throw that on your 5 axis & machine out of solid instead - vastly superior job.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Cool I was watching a video of the Sonor factory building AQ1 or whatever their nomenclature now it's a nice birch kit. They started with two piece of birch plywood (the thicknesses can vary) they overlap in a machine with their secret formula glue then make the shell. A robotic arm drilled all the holes the rest handmade. But what surprised me is they make all their hardware-had a dude setting wires for snare, I was really surprised. The shell part was a bit disappointing but the hardware part blew me away. Good luck on your build.

veecharlie

All good stuff :)

If you're going to CNC machine the bearing edges, that's fine if; a) the shells are perfectly round to within +/- 0.5mm max, or b) you probe map the shell. Honestly, for the hassle, use a good quality router table or spindle moulder.

Sintered printing strength isn't great. Perhaps good enough for a lug casing to accept an insert, but the finish isn't usually great. I see you were looking at 6061 T6 - throw that on your 5 axis & machine out of solid instead - vastly superior job.
that's true! I will do them with a router table, but I'm kind of stuck right now, I should have gone to the workplace earlier but with all the stuff in the way I'm still kind of behind schedule on this project. At least goes bit by bit lol

veecharlie

Cool I was watching a video of the Sonor factory building AQ1 or whatever their nomenclature now it's a nice birch kit. They started with two piece of birch plywood (the thicknesses can vary) they overlap in a machine with their secret formula glue then make the shell. A robotic arm drilled all the holes the rest handmade. But what surprised me is they make all their hardware-had a dude setting wires for snare, I was really surprised. The shell part was a bit disappointing but the hardware part blew me away. Good luck on your build.
Sonor are masters on hardware, really big inspiration! I really admire their innovation into that.

Yamaha Rider

So,

long time ago I made lots of questions about building a kit, including the finish.
I got LOTS of complains saying that me "a woman" can't do the job, neither I "have the skills" to do it because"it's a complicated job".
I laugh about all this anyways but I gained SO MUCH knowledge on the specific subject of drum shells, which was the "weak" spot of my knowledge. I needed to know in order to select exactly what I was looking for, especially in terms of drum plies and building methods which would determine my sound. For me, asking a drum builder and trust him is a way too lazy option.

Even got the chance to build and replace the kick of my Church's kit as a paid job (Turned up awesome, if you want some pictures tell me). I personally really enjoy building drums and hopefully I get to make a couple of extra projects like these. I defenitively want to add an extra 8" tom to my kit and some extra snares when I get the chance!

Not so long ago I was talking with a couple of friends and told me it was really pity I was not documenting the experience with my vlog or any type of "public" posts, as I wanted to keep it all secret until it was finished.
So I decided to make a little serie of videos with the updates of the kit coming along:

Next step is the paint job, my favorite part. I'll defenitively make an update and share it here, however it will take it's time as I'm busy with work and trips around.
I'd guess those commenters meant that 'anybody' without specific skills and experience might find this project beyond them, rather than 'a woman'.