Building a Stack

BonsaiMagpie

I've tried with a couple of cymbals I had around, but they didn't sit right together and barely any sound was made.
Do you need to add spacers to get some movement between them? And do you need a modified cymbals stand to make space for a nut and felts?
Or you do buy cymbals which are pre-made to be used as a stack?

Interested to hear how others are making stacks or if they've bought some in a pre-made setup.
Thanks

Liam

You don’t need a stack that a company has already made, it’s just that some cymbals stack better that others. I have and 16 crash over a 18 china on my kit and I find It works well. My advice is to look around on YouTube to see what other drummers are doing, then if you find a stack you really like you can copy it.

roncadillac

The best stacks I've ever heard were either a very small inverted splash sitting 'inside' a china or one of those spiral cut cymbals sitting on top of a thinner crash. Movement is key.

Not to say you have to use these exact cymbals or Zildjian in general but this may help you get a better idea of what stack sound you are looking for:

Cmdr. Ross

Silver Member
The Thomas Lang Super Stack is a great example of what a stack is capable of doing. Loosen the wing nut & they move and rattle like crazy. Tighten it & the sound is short and crunchy.
His arrangement can be duplicated of course & is probably a lot cheaper.

BonsaiMagpie

The best stacks I've ever heard were either a very small inverted splash sitting 'inside' a china or one of those spiral cut cymbals sitting on top of a thinner crash. Movement is key.

Not to say you have to use these exact cymbals or Zildjian in general but this may help you get a better idea of what stack sound you are looking for:
I liked the splash and small China sound. Very crisp!

The Thomas Lang Super Stack is a great example of what a stack is capable of doing. Loosen the wing nut & they move and rattle like crazy. Tighten it & the sound is short and crunchy.
His arrangement can be duplicated of course & is probably a lot cheaper.
Thomas Lang is one of the drummers who has got me thinking about a stack. Sometimes I just want something nice and crisp, but a bit open. Thanks for the tip on his signature gear.

iCe

Silver Member
I 'made' a few of my own stacks. The last two i used were a Paiste 10" PSTX Swiss Splash on top of a Meinl 8" Gen-X Filter China and a Paiste 14" PSTX Flanger Crash on top of a Meinl 12" Gen-X Filter China. Was listening to individual cymbals and thought these might make a nice stacks, wasn't wrong. They're cheap too!

Not the best recording, but you get the idea.

Bonzo_CR

Silver Member
I have tried stacking many different cymbals but my favourite so far is a purpose-built stack, the Meinl Classics Custom Trash Stack (16). It's a nice sounding stack, trashy without being too harsh. Also reasonably priced IMO.