Building a cool Drum Riser

That riser is too cool! So simple and easy to transport, yet looks really pro. That's my big thing. When bands, especially young ones, use beat up gear, or get it all messy onstage it looks sloppy and unprofessional. I hate it when bands just throw their gear up and plug in. Lining up the amps, mic stands, pedal boards, etc. is something I can be anal about. Unless you want the DIY punk rock duct tape garage band look. The music comes first but stagecraft goes a loooong way.
That riser really enhances the stage presentation of the band as well. Just hope the band doesn't recruit a new 400 pound guitar player who loves to do the splits off of it! j/k.. Good luck to you and your son.

Only just joined this particular forum so only just read this post. This drum rise you built for your son is absolute genius. Clever, cost effective, portable and light....brilliant. I'm from the UK which as you're probably all aware likes to charge everyone as much as possible for everything. Unfortunately our DIY stores don't sell these buckets and to get them on line would cost around £125 ($197) including shipping. Whilst this still makes for a very cost effective drum riser $200 for plastic buckets is just stupid! Thanks England!! I'll probably make one anyway and wince when I pay for the buckets, still way better than £1000 for a purpose built one. Anyway your riser is brilliant well done.

Only just joined this particular forum so only just read this post. This drum rise you built for your son is absolute genius. Clever, cost effective, portable and light....brilliant. I'm from the UK which as you're probably all aware likes to charge everyone as much as possible for everything. Unfortunately our DIY stores don't sell these buckets and to get them on line would cost around £125 ($197) including shipping. Whilst this still makes for a very cost effective drum riser $200 for plastic buckets is just stupid! Thanks England!! I'll probably make one anyway and wince when I pay for the buckets, still way better than £1000 for a purpose built one. Anyway your riser is brilliant well done.

These buckets are also used in food service in N America for things like icing and pickles for high volume cafeteria type restaurants. I got a few of these types of buckets for free by asking my local mega mart grocery store bakery for some icing buckets. I would assume there has to be a European equivalent, though I bet they are 20 liter buckets rather than our 5 gallon buckets. ;^)

This is such a cool idea. My question/concern is - how difficult is it to unsnap the buckets from the lids after the show? Mos of the buck/lids I've used (paint, pickles, etc) seem to need the lid pried off, of do the lids really just snap off?
Thanks!
DrummerDan

This is such a cool idea. My question/concern is - how difficult is it to unsnap the buckets from the lids after the show? Mos of the buck/lids I've used (paint, pickles, etc) seem to need the lid pried off, of do the lids really just snap off?
Thanks!
DrummerDan

I haven't built a riser yet (thinking about it soon, though), but if you drill holes in the bottom of the buckets, suction won't be an issue when removing the lids.

HI all,
New to the forum, just wanted to post the portable drum riser I built.

This riser breaks down into 4 - 4'x3' panels that stack & fit in my Toyota 4Runner and although I didn’t use commercial doors as the platform, I did incorporate the 5 gallon paint buckets.

The riser consists of:
16- 5 gallon home depot buckets with lids.
2 –sheets of forming plywood cut to spec (this plywood is used to form concrete on commercial constructions sites so its very thick)
6 - spring loaded draw latches to lock the sections into place. http://www.southco.com/en-us/k2-k3-k4-k5/k5-2856-07
1 – Black vinyl table cloth. Which you can find at any party city. http://www.partycity.com/product/black+flannel+backed+vinyl+table+cover.do?from=Search&cx=0

Total size of the riser is 8’ wide by 6’ deep. I’ve found this to be plenty for my set up but you can change the dimensions of the sections to fit your needs.

Anyways here are some pics of the riser.

Sealed the top with some Cabot varnish.

Setup ready for the gig!

In action this past weekend!

If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Big ugly square. If your kit stays consistent, why not cut out the excess. Trace around your kit and cut out the unneeded plywood. May need to adjust some of the bucket lids, but you will fit better on more stages, your bass player won't gash his shins or trip over backwards and it will look like more of a custom built stage rather than something you found in the janitors closet. Not to mention it will be a percentage lighter and smaller, easier to carry and transport.

Big Ugly Square? haha i'd love to know what kind of risers you're playing on b/c most venues i've played at; if they have a riser is exactly that. And the rug i use takes up 90" of the platform so you don't even see the plywood. I mean sure that was an option i considered was to cut around the kit to take out the excess plywood but i wanted space around the kit for band members to jump up on the riser during the gig. The plywood panels Aren't heavy at all and buckets weigh nothing. And I've used this riser tons of times and yet to have any band member gash their shins. You must play with some clumsy ass band members if they run into or trip backwards on risers all the time. I'd love to see the riser you've built to compare.

I ditched mine after lugging it around the country for 10 years. But it was cut to fit the kit perfectly, and instead of buckets, which is a great idea, I used 2 inch fence posts friction fit into 4X4 wood blocks mounted to the wood. This gave an uncluttered view under the kit where we usually blasted out some aircraft lights or some other lighting effects, sometimes smoke machine too. If I have any pictures they are still in print form, most of this was pre-digital. The top was standard white carpet which was notched around all the spots where stands and bass drum legs would go, so no time was wasted finding Center while setting up.
Since the big light and sound systems are no longer an option in clubs, I don't bother with a stage now. When I play arena and concert hall shows, usually a stage and production is supplied. Back in the 80's and 90's it was commonplace to have a 5 ton truck packed with huge 60 can light shows and ginormous PA stacks.

I always thought it would be interesting to custom-build travel cases for drums that doubled as the drum riser.

Guy up above with the Peavey Radial kit did just that. Those big road cases are not an option either these days for me. If I was still travelling with a big truck and production that would be different. I don't even use my single drum cases anymore. I know how to pack my car and carry drums without smacking into doors etc. Road cases are essential when using a full on band pack in a cube van or truck.

Guy up above with the Peavey Radial kit did just that. Those big road cases are not an option either these days for me.

Do you recall how he did it? It seems Likely that the BD case alone could do the conversion if the 4 sides folded down. The front and top would detach for the left/right of the throne.

Ykt3ItN.png

Add some telescopic legs and BAM, instant riser.

Received a note that the photo links were broken, so stopped in and fixed them (I organized my Photobucket photos into folders, breaking all my forum links - Fun! Actually, relatively quick to paste in the folder name in the old links to update though).

Since then, I've helped refinish a Yamaha YD kit, made some LED lit stage risers, collapsable scrim stands, and packaged up some backing tracks/click/mic/self monitor system into an old VCR case!

Lots of cool riser ideas, I like the storage base and the angled corners to save space.

My son hasn't used the riser in a while, he's now a sophomore at Berklee (so you can still say I'm being very, ahem, $upportive!), drumming is his principal instrument but he's playing more bass, guitar and singing - he likes being out in front of the band for a change!

The old band did pretty well, got to play national TV in Vegas (all expenses paid), Kiss108/Comcast Center gig, multiple recording sessions, etc.
https://www.facebook.com/onestepaway

New band played Warped Tour this summer, Ben co-lead sings, plays bass or guitar mostly, drums on recordings. https://www.facebook.com/ForTheYearBand

Here the family drummer performing on local college radio with a video camera in his face: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYq7Y_QMDTo

JT

Last edited:
Thanks so much for fixing the links on the pictures and for the MacGyver design skills! Great solution to an otherwise expensive and hard to travel with problem.

Hey DrummersDad,

Watched the youtube vid. Great looking kid, very talented. (hope he can support YOU in a few years!) :D

Wish I'd had that kind of support when I was younger!

Cool idea, I’m having a hard time understanding how the buckets attach to the wood? Any pictures showing that assembly?

I was just going to use screws/bolts through the top
3rd pic shows and explains the lids were affixed to the underside of the riser.

Back