Building a Bop Kit

Lennytoons

OK, I need a little advice here. I'm building a bop kit from some orphan drums I have lying around. I'm using a 16 x 15 floor tom as the bass drum. I want to drill the shell and mount a Pearl tom mount on it so I can use it to mount one tom and one cymbal. My question is where should it go? How far from the front of the drum should I put it? I'll start with a 10 x 8 mounted tom and never have anything larger than 12 x 10. Any help would be appreciated.

IBitePrettyHard

A good place to start is to look where the mount is drilled on other 16" bass drums, like the Breakbeats kit. Granted, it's NOT in the 'perfect' position for my personal tastes, so don't take it as gospel. I wish the 10" tom on my Breakbeats kit could be about 2" closer.

EDIT: Here, I just snapped a picture of mine. The batter side is at the bottom. The hole itself BEGINS approx 2" past the center of the shell.

Last edited:

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
The mount on my Midtown is similar to the Breakbeats pictured. I didn't measure, but for reference the center of the hole is inline with the end of the lugs. So if you were to draw a line from back of lug to back of lug, the center of the post is on that line. My kick is 16x14 if that matters.

Mustion

Any tips on converting a floor tom so it can accept a wood hoop and proper bass drum head? I understand that standard tom lugs are usually too close to the shell for that. FWIW, I'm converting an old 18" Slingerland floor tom.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Any tips on converting a floor tom so it can accept a wood hoop and proper bass drum head? I understand that standard tom lugs are usually too close to the shell for that. FWIW, I'm converting an old 18" Slingerland floor tom.
You can go to ebay and try to source some Slingy bass drum lugs. If you don't want to do that, you could always make spacers. You would need longer screws too.

Mustion

You can go to ebay and try to source some Slingy bass drum lugs. If you don't want to do that, you could always make spacers. You would need longer screws too.
Yea I thought about using spacers, but proper lugs would be more elegant. Any idea if the hole spacing is the same?