Budget headphones

It should be noted that the new Vic Firths have been improved over the old version. I *think* they went from 30mm to 50mm drivers....(but the new ones are definitely 50mm). Big difference in the low end and overall sound quality, especially when listening to a kit that is miked up.

Good to hear. :) I'll have another listen to them.

Sennheiser HD280 Pro and Sony MDR-7506. Both closed back with good isolation, come with good to very good reviews, and priced just cents below US$100 at most online stores.
I own both of those models. The Sony 7506 doesn't have good isolation at all, and they also don't have a great low end response. They allow a good amount of external sound through, especially in mid to loud volume situations. They'll allow a lot of bleed from your cymbals through. The Sennheisers isolate far better and provide more low end. Once I got the Sennheisers, I never touched the Sony's again. Go with the Sennheisers if you need isolation.

I own both of those models. The Sony 7506 doesn't have good isolation at all, and they also don't have a great low end response. They allow a good amount of external sound through, especially in mid to loud volume situations. They'll allow a lot of bleed from your cymbals through. The Sennheisers isolate far better and provide more low end. Once I got the Sennheisers, I never touched the Sony's again. Go with the Sennheisers if you need isolation.

I know a lot of people change out the pads for velor pads. Would the velor pads be better at isolating external noise?

I know a lot of people change out the pads for velor pads. Would the velor pads be better at isolating external noise?
I don't think that would make much difference, as the nature of the design of the headphones doesn't really allow for much more isolation.

Back