Budget Black Beauty

Rdhefner

I'm looking for a budget friendly snare similar to Ludwig's Black Beauty. It seems Ludwig has stopped (or temporarily stopped) producing the Black Magic. Are there other options that fit the $300-400 range? Pearl Sensitone Heritage Alloy? DW Design Series Black Nickel? What do you recommend?

The Pearl is a solid choice. Top quality components and build. It's not a seamless shell but, with that being said, I'm not sure I'd pass a blind test of one of those vs. my Black Beauty.

Gretsch makes a Brooklyn, COS, in both a hammered and non-hammered shell. I have the hammered model and it is the best snare I have owned. You should be able to pick one up in you $300. range. Happy Hunting

I'd keep looking and be patient. Any of the $300 black nickel brass drums are extremely similar in quality (and are built from the same parts from the same supplier) so keep scanning eBay for Pearl Sensitone, Black Magic, WorldMax, Pork Pie Big Black Brass...any of those are great drums and will get you the sound you want.

It seems like all of those drums are in shorter supply lately. I'm going to chalk it up to the current supply chain issues, which should eventually sort out. In the meantime keep looking and be ready to pull the trigger on a drum when it pops up.

Hitmaker

Hitmaker

Nice drum at a nice price, grab that! I'd buy some triple flange hoops for both sides just so you have another sound option. Might run another $40.

Ooops, looks like it's gone... I hope the OP got it!

Last edited:
Nice drum at a nice price, grab that! I'd buy some triple flange hoops for both sides just so you have another sound option. Might run another $40.

Ooops, looks like it's gone... I hope the OP got it!
Missed it! Didn't get the notification for whatever reason. But I'll keep an eye out. Thanks!

I'll second the Pork Pie BOB recommendation. I sat in a room with it, a BB and another 6 similar drums. Tone-wise, the BB won by a nose, but I ended up buying the BOB and still have it. I'd suggest sitting down with a few and playing them for yourself if it's possible.

Also, I found that I prefer flanged hoops to cast hoops on this type of drum, so maybe keep that in mind when comparing them. The cast hoops just seemed to dry it out a little bit too much, IMO.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)

I'll second the Pork Pie BOB recommendation. I sat in a room with it, a BB and another 6 similar drums. Tone-wise, the BB won by a nose, but I ended up buying the BOB and still have it. I'd suggest sitting down with a few and playing them for yourself if it's possible.

Also, I found that I prefer flanged hoops to cast hoops on this type of drum, so maybe keep that in mind when comparing them. The cast hoops just seemed to dry it out a little bit too much, IMO.

Good luck with whatever you choose! :)
I agree with your recommendation for flanged hoops. They’re more open sounding and the head isn’t as stiff feeling…there’s a nice amount of give with a thinner shell and flanged hoops.

I had a Ludwig Black Magic 14x8 & thought it was incredible. Especially with a Vintage Ambassador fitted. I did buy a BB earlier this year as the perfect one came up for sale so, the BM had to go.

The BM is as close to the BB that I know of & wouldn't think twice about getting another one :)

Back