Budget Black Beauty

boomstick

Silver Member
I got a basic Worldmax Black Dawg back when they were $200 new. I felt it was too ringy with the flanged hoops. I just happened to have some nice COB die casts on hand and put those on. It brought it right where I like it. Still rings, but more controlled. I wasn't satisfied with the stock strainer, so I replaced it with a Drum Foundry RCK throw. I also put on some PureSound wires and of course my go-to Remo Ambassador heads. Basically everything except shell and lugs has been swapped out, but I had still only spent about $300 total. I'm super happy with it and have no desire for a different brass snare.

worldmax.jpg

Ryan Culberson

Hey Ryan, congrats on getting your dream date! What makes the 70's BB's stand out from the pack for you? I'd be deliriously happy with any of them but wondered why the 70's models are tops for you.

1) Nostalgia. As a youngster I used to stare at Ludwig catalogs for hours everyday. The BB got significant stare time. LOL.

2) Sound. A long time drum buddy owns a ‘78 and I got to see/hear him play it on hundreds of gigs. It brought the awesome no matter what he did to it.

3) Legacy/Reputation. That era BB is used and revered by many big name pro drummers I admire. Not a deal maker or breaker, of course, but it does count for something.

4) Personal experience and direct comparison with other BBs. When I owned my 4 other BBs (none concurrently), I always had my buddy’s ‘78 to compare them to. It just sounded better, to MY ears. The decay/sustain of the note was smoother, the actual fundamental tone was more rich, and the older one took muffling better. These are all things I value and they all apply directly to my musical needs.

Pearl or a pork Pie black brass. Here's the one I had. It was an amazing snare.

I regret picking up the 6.5×14 Pork Pie BB a good 14 years ago when they were super affordable. Great sounding drum. I've been playing a 5×14 Pearl Sensitone BB for almost eight years now and really like the sound and build quality. Either way they're worth the money. As a drummer who's owned a half dozen Ludwig snare drums, I've never been able to justify the price of the original BB, which is a tremendous sounding drum.

JimmyM

Gold Member
1) Nostalgia. As a youngster I used to stare at Ludwig catalogs for hours everyday. The BB got significant stare time. LOL.

2) Sound. A long time drum buddy owns a ‘78 and I got to see/hear him play it on hundreds of gigs. It brought the awesome no matter what he did to it.

3) Legacy/Reputation. That era BB is used and revered by many big name pro drummers I admire. Not a deal maker or breaker, of course, but it does count for something.

4) Personal experience and direct comparison with other BBs. When I owned my 4 other BBs (none concurrently), I always had my buddy’s ‘78 to compare them to. It just sounded better, to MY ears. The decay/sustain of the note was smoother, the actual fundamental tone was more rich, and the older one took muffling better. These are all things I value and they all apply directly to my musical needs.
"...no matter what he did to it..." Ha!

I keep thinking it's the only metal snare that's going to make me as happy as my old Ludwig wood snare, and I'm sizing up the competition and trying to figure out sizes and if I need to go Ludwig to be happy. I think I might.

JimmyM

Gold Member
"...no matter what he did to it..." Ha!

I keep thinking it's the only metal snare that's going to make me as happy as my old Ludwig wood snare, and I'm sizing up the competition and trying to figure out sizes and if I need to go Ludwig to be happy. I think I might.
@Ryan Culberson , went to Sam Ash yesterday and went through their new snare drum display, one of which was a 5" x 14" BB. Definitely in a tonal class by itself, but I think I'd maybe prefer a bigger one. I might even prefer something more Supra-like. That's a whole lot of dynamic range in a BB to control.

marratj

What about the Tama S.L.P. Black Brass? Never played one myself, but heard good things about it and it might fit the desired price range.

Ryan Culberson

@Ryan Culberson , went to Sam Ash yesterday and went through their new snare drum display, one of which was a 5" x 14" BB. Definitely in a tonal class by itself, but I think I'd maybe prefer a bigger one. I might even prefer something more Supra-like. That's a whole lot of dynamic range in a BB to control.

Mine is a 6.5”er. I do prefer it over the 5” deep model. Kinda weird, because I prefer the 5” deep 400 over a 6.5” deep 402. I don’t think you could go wrong with either choice (BB or Supra).

Last edited:

Old Dog new Cans

I have both a Pearl Sensitone Brassy, and a Pork Pie Black Brass. Both great snares.

incrementalg

Gold Member
Id recommend going w a 6.5” if you ever play stuff that requires more oomph. You can tame a 6.5” but it’s harder to get the same oomph from a 5…unless you’re mic’ing it