Budget 6 1/2 x 14 snares that sound like Acros or Supras

OK, I got questions...well one...

My original plan was to start out with a 5 x 14" Acro or Supra, then later on snag a 6 1/2" BB or Supra, then stop. I'll always prefer 6 1/2" but I've got that already and I should own a good 5. A friend has a Blacro for sale but I can't try it out because of location...I don't want to stray from the original Acro formula, but I love black. Do they sound the same?

OK, I got questions...well one...

My original plan was to start out with a 5 x 14" Acro or Supra, then later on snag a 6 1/2" BB or Supra, then stop. I'll always prefer 6 1/2" but I've got that already and I should own a good 5. A friend has a Blacro for sale but I can't try it out because of location...I don't want to stray from the original Acro formula, but I love black. Do they sound the same?
If it fits the parameters you laid out, and has been taken care of, grab it before you cant. If you dont, someone else will.

I had a 14 x5 Acro which I foolishly sold a few years ago. I then later bought a Blackrolite , which I currently have. From my memory of the Acro and the current sound of the Blackro I would think the sound is the same .

A friend has a Blacro for sale but I can't try it out because of location...I don't want to stray from the original Acro formula, but I love black. Do they sound the same?
Like others have said ..... they're so similar .... it's kinda a moot point. If your buddies drum is for a reasonable price ('bout $190 is the cheapest I could find one, on Reverb), ya might wanna jump on it. You can always keep shopping for a 6.5. Sell the Blacro it you find it's "not" your cup-o-tea.

Like others have said ..... they're so similar .... it's kinda a moot point. If your buddies drum is for a reasonable price ('bout $190 is the cheapest I could find one, on Reverb), ya might wanna jump on it. You can always keep shopping for a 6.5. Sell the Blacro it you find it's "not" your cup-o-tea.
Oh, I'm positive it's my cup o tea. Spent quite a long time with Acros and Supras as a kid in school bands. A 5 Acro and my Standard would be all the snares I would ever need in my life. That's the easy part. The 6 1/2" is going to be hard...BB or Supra. Supra's the safe choice for a wide variety of music, but the overtones on the BB are sweet sweet sweet! Some might say a little too sweet, so that's why I may lean toward a Supra and forget about the BB.

Man, I was so happy going cheap on the snare till I started this thread...but you're all right...snares are too important to get the wrong one, and Ludwigs are a sure thing. There are plenty of great snares I could make lifetime snares, many much cheaper, but every time I hit mine, a BB, Supra or Acro, I think "There's THE sound I want in a snare." And the last thing I want is a giant rack of snares of all types.

It sounds like you've got it figured out... The wood Ludwig snare, an Acrolite, and a Black Beauty would have most all of the bases covered and are easy enough to get.

I also can't hear a difference in the Black Galaxy coating on an Acrolite, so I wouldn't give it a second thought. If your friend is offering it up for a reasonable price, I'd jump on it.

It sounds like you've got it figured out... The wood Ludwig snare, an Acrolite, and a Black Beauty would have most all of the bases covered and are easy enough to get.

I also can't hear a difference in the Black Galaxy coating on an Acrolite, so I wouldn't give it a second thought. If your friend is offering it up for a reasonable price, I'd jump on it.
Well to be honest, I've seen more reasonable prices on Blacros, but we'll talk.

I'll be THAT guy and say that I've heard a difference between the Acro and the Blacro. Not a big difference, but I prefer the sound of my late-60s Acro to some 80s models that I've played side by side. FWIW, I don't hear much difference between any of 80s models regardless of finish.

I'll be THAT guy and say that I've heard a difference between the Acro and the Blacro. Not a big difference, but I prefer the sound of my late-60s Acro to some 80s models that I've played side by side. FWIW, I don't hear much difference between any of 80s models regardless of finish.
It probably makes more of a difference if you're used to the unplated aluminum drums or not. I grew up on the sound of the 80s drums with the gray baked enamel finish, so the change in the 90s to the black baked on enamel finish wasn't that big of a deal.

Hmmm...I grew up with the earlier ones...I just wonder if I care enough to go 60's or 70's.

It probably makes more of a difference if you're used to the unplated aluminum drums or not. I grew up on the sound of the 80s drums with the gray baked enamel finish, so the change in the 90s to the black baked on enamel finish wasn't that big of a deal.
That makes sense. I've always preferred the older ones, but the newer ones aren't a huge difference, IMO.

It's interesting how a drum's finish can affect its sound.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I've always preferred the older ones, but the newer ones aren't a huge difference, IMO.

It's interesting how a drum's finish can affect its sound.
I just saw a vid of a dude comparing 60's, 70's and 80's Acros, and you are right. I heard what you're hearing. But none of them bothered me at all, and it was so close that I think I'll be fine whatever way I go.

I just saw a vid of a dude comparing 60's, 70's and 80's Acros, and you are right. I heard what you're hearing. But none of them bothered me at all, and it was so close that I think I'll be fine whatever way I go.
You're right - the difference is small and they're all good. In fact, my main snare is one of the newer limited edition Acros (with the brushed finish) and I love it to death. (y)

I highly recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom steel shell snare. Today it's $150, but it's (very) often on sale for closer to $100.
I can vouch for this. I sold it last year because I refurbed a nicer Tama steel snare. Otherwise, I'd have kept it.

Last edited:
Back