Budget 6 1/2 x 14 snares that sound like Acros or Supras

JimmyM

Diamond Member
I've about given up on the Diablo snare. That means I need to get on the stick getting another snare because I'm not taking my precious vintage Ludwig wood snare to gigs. I'm also not going to buy a standard Supra unless I can get one for $100, which is max.

Here's what's important to me:

---A rich but not overbearing low end, and plenty of top end with a decent amount of ring available...like a Supra...exact tones are not necessary, but has to sound as pro as anything out there

---Isn't a sloppy piece of too-thin aluminum that goes out of tune within minutes

---Has to be between 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" x 14", 6 1/2 preferred, no piccolos, please :D

---No more than a hundy but $75 would be even better

Here's what not important to me:

---10 lugs per head

---The metal for the shell, though again, the Supra's a semi-target for tone

---How the hardware is attached or how good the throw-off is. You're talking to a guy whose only snare till three weeks ago has a throw-off invented in the 30's.

---The brand, though let's not go nuts and recommend CB700...who in their right mind would try to make a go of CB700's?

:/

I kind of know what to look for, but not really...like I know if I see a Slingerland aluminum snare under a hundy, I should snag it. Or maybe a Rocker with a metal shell. But I just don't want to get stuck with a bad one like the Diablo, so if you have pet beater snares that you think hang with the more expensive ones tonally and can be had for less than $100, name names. TIA!

I highly recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom steel shell snare. Today it's $150, but it's (very) often on sale for closer to $100. I think limiting yourself to spending less than $100 is only going to put you in the position of getting another crappy sub-par snare drum.

I think limiting yourself to spending less than $100 is only going to put you in the position of getting another crappy sub-par snare drum.
Agreed.

the Supra's a semi-target for tone

Glad you said "semi" target, because unlike an inexpensive metal drum, the Supra is seamless. That makes a difference, and is the main reason the Black Magic snare wasn't a substitute for a Black Beauty (for example.)

There are some decent snares on the used market, but unless you get really lucky and find a used Supra for $100, you're not going to get very close to its sound.

I highly recommend the Yamaha Stage Custom steel shell snare. Today it's $150, but it's (very) often on sale for closer to $100. I think limiting yourself to spending less than $100 is only going to put you in the position of getting another crappy sub-par snare drum.
Duly noted. I'm afraid of that as well, but that's why I'm asking for exceptional beaters :D

Agreed.

Glad you said "semi" target, because unlike an inexpensive metal drum, the Supra is seamless. That makes a difference, and is the main reason the Black Magic snare wasn't a substitute for a Black Beauty (for example.)

There are some decent snares on the used market, but unless you get really lucky and find a used Supra for $100, you're not going to get very close to its sound.
You had to remind me of that :D Well I'm thinking I need a good beater snare anyway, and this is an opportunity to see what's out there before I decide to wait on a decent Supra.

I agree with Winston Wolf. And Bermuda. I just scored a Supra. for $245. Off CraigsList. Most of eBay/Reverb are $280 and up ..... and for $280 ..... it was totally SPANKED.

The Stage Custom steel snare .... can be found at around $125. It's not gonna sound like a Supra ..... but as steel snares go ..... it's a good steel snare. I have 2 steel snares ..... a vintage Tama Royalstar, and a Pearl Chad Smith signature model.

Under $100 ..... here's a Yamaha ...... probably as good as anything you'll find under $100.

Just listened to a couple demos, and it's totally within acceptable range :D
Pearl Steel Shell Snare:

I used one of these for years. It'll go high, it'll go doosh. It'll also ring like crazy if you want it to.

I wouldnt exactly call it a beater either.
Wow, you can get those all day long for $75 used, too.

So far I haven't heard a bad demo of any of them, and I've seen those old Yammy steels going for dirt cheap. I think I might prefer the Stage Custom, but then I found nothing bad about the older Steel model. Liked the Pearl quite well, too.

Man, I thought this would be a lot harder.

Another vote for the Yamaha Stage Custom Steel. The SSS1465 is the good one - 14 x 6.5" with 10 lugs per side.

Cranked up, it sounds really really good and not completely unlike a Supraphonic. Upgrade the hoops from the stock 1.5 mm to something beefier and the snare really starts delivering the goods.

I can't think of a better snare under $200, and I've owned a few.

Another vote for the Yamaha Stage Custom Steel. The SSS1465 is the good one - 14 x 6.5" with 10 lugs per side.

Cranked up, it sounds really really good and not completely unlike a Supraphonic. Upgrade the hoops from the stock 1.5 mm to something beefier and the snare really starts delivering the goods.

I can't think of a better snare under $200, and I've owned a few.
I will likely be tuning it medium to med-tight the vast majority of the time, but I do want one that will go super tight if I get a hip hop gig. It could happen!

Well this is awesome...I love my team at Yamaha Guitar Group, and what better way to ingratiate myself to the drum division early on than getting one of their snares?

Like they care what I play for drums :D

I've played two of the previous generations Yamaha Stage Custom, both the non beaded Yamaha STEEL snare pictured above and the next version (just prior to the current version) with the inverted bead and they're both really good sounding drums. I give the nod to the beaded version as sounding better but they're both solid.

I really, really like the Ludwig Supralite snare but you could buy the Yamaha Stage Custom and upgrade the hoops like Yammyfan suggested and still come out cheaper. Total no-brainer.

FWIW, 320 USD will get you a brand new, de-luxe, Pearl Sensitone aluminum or a brass Ludwig Black Magic. (prices from reverb today)

If you want something that at least resembles a Supra, and is pro sounding, an aluminum Sensitone in 6.5 depth for more low end is my suggestion

You could search your local CL for a used one to cut costs plus get 50 bucks for your Diablo. That should put you a lot closer to your goal

Not sure about Supra, but for a hammered Black Beauty vibe on a budget, it's hard to beat my Jinbao (or a rebadged one, such as Fame or Trixon).
IIRC Jinbao used to make an aluminium snare drum too; not sure if they still do now (their advertising really sucks). Mine is copper, and is certainly very lively compared to an aluminium shell.

A closer aluminium-shelled alternative would be Premier Hi-Fi. IIRC Premiers are known for high quality lasting even today.

I've played two of the previous generations Yamaha Stage Custom, both the non beaded Yamaha STEEL snare pictured above and the next version (just prior to the current version) with the inverted bead and they're both really good sounding drums. I give the nod to the beaded version as sounding better but they're both solid.

I really, really like the Ludwig Supralite snare but you could buy the Yamaha Stage Custom and upgrade the hoops like Yammyfan suggested and still come out cheaper. Total no-brainer.
Or I could leave them and be happy not knowing what could have been. Nah, I'm sure I'll try some out at least.

Honestly, the SC sounds great to me stock. And I did hear a little difference between it and the one just called Steel. Both sounded powerful but the Steel came across as a little bit wild with the ringy steel sound.

Anyway, they're all sounding great to me, but I can only get one, and I'm leaning hard into the Stage Custom as a favorite, even without my Yamaha connection. I'm sort of picky about what I like in a snare drum, but I've spent enough on drums and cymbals as it is...way more than I intended. So getting something that's sort of Supra-like to keep it under a hundy used will do just fine.

Seriously thinking about stopping buying drums once I get a metal snare, though. The chicks seem to dig my Diablos because the spade badges and black hardware give my look an edge, and the only things I truly need are a metal snare and a small cowbell tuned exactly to G for Honky Tonk Women. Anyone know of one that won't break the bank, let me know. Not looking for a designer cowbell, thank you.

Ok if $100 is truly tops to achieve your 'Supradom' , I won't recommend more expensive snares.
Steel gets a bad rap, upturned noses, mostly because it was used on all the cheapo snares. But Tama and Pearl do steel very well, always have. I've bought old used ones of these for $50 or $80 and they can be tuned and tempered to be very Supra-like. They are rugged too.
images.jpg

Ok if $100 is truly tops to achieve your 'Supradom' , I won't recommend more expensive snares.
Steel gets a bad rap, upturned noses, mostly because it was used on all the cheapo snares. But Tama and Pearl do steel very well, always have. I've bought old used ones of these for $50 or $80 and they can be tuned and tempered to be very Supra-like. They are rugged too.
View attachment 113191
Very high on my list, bro. Neck and neck with the Stage Custom. I love Yammy but I'm anyone's for the lowest used price :D

Back