BUDDY

TJK

I thought I saw all of his videos and holy sh!t I have never seen him play so fast. The singles are mind boggling. Mangini, Dennis, Vinnie, Lang etc are blazing but BR is not of this earth

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member

I thought I saw all of his videos and holy sh!t I have never seen him play so fast. The singles are mind boggling. Mangini, Dennis, Vinnie, Lang etc are blazing but BR is not of this earth
He’s the best showman to ever get anywhere near that level of technique, and he’s pretty fast, but there’s plenty of guys slightly faster today. Even then, Jim Chapin and Joe Morello (and Billy Gladstone) were all a little faster than Buddy. They just didn’t have his showmanship or fire.

It’s getting to the point now where human muscles and nerves are limiting what’s possible. Tom Grosset set the World’s Fastest Drummer record at 32nd notes for a full minute at about 150 bpm. I don’t know how much faster the human body can even go than that.

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Why you would want it to go any faster? Speed and power are a great intro to get you interested, but drumming is so much more interesting in the long run than how fast you can do this or that or how hard...gimme space. Gimme old Turtle Morgan lol ;)

Great clip from the ultimate showman!

drumnut87

buddy was buddy, nobody will ever drum like him, jsut like nobody will ever drum like other vintage greats like krupa, bellson, webb, big sid cattlett, etc. or modern greats such as benny greb, marco minnemann, thomas lang, virgil donati, etc. every drummer has thir own voice, their own style, and their own phrasing. can leanr so much from so many like never before :)

Yes, Buddy was a great player technically, but doesn't it sound a bit like pouring sacks of murmurs down the stairs over and over again? Even if he'd been the fastest drummer ever on earth, he was a bit of a one trick pony, and to be honest, I find most of his stuff just boring.

drumnut87

Yes, Buddy was a great player technically, but doesn't it sound a bit like pouring sacks of murmurs down the stairs over and over again? Even if he'd been the fastest drummer ever on earth, he was a bit of a one trick pony, and to be honest, I find most of his stuff just boring.
watch him at ther berlin jazz fest 1984, specifically his playing with brushes, much more subtle and better playing :)

all anyone ever seemed to focus on (understandably) was his sololing ability, but as he said in an interview, if all a drummer can do is solo, then he's good for 5 minutes a night, and theyd have to get some other drummer in for the rest of the time :)

Watch out for the ban hammer - you're not to allowed to criticize Ringo or Buddy on here (the rest is fair game)! ;)
I don't care too much for his solos either but there are recordings I can enjoy for sure:

TJK

My wife said it sounds like someone throwing a running air compressor with a busted shroud down bleachers in a gymnasium.